Thread: 4311 drivers

4311 drivers

Im about to buy a pair of 4311WX from the second owner. Serial is 23503/508. They should be 100% original, wich drivers is used in them?

Does this help? https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...4311B%20ts.pdf

I believe the WX just means walnut.

This is from a pdf I saved but can no longer find the link to JBL Professional Studio Monitor Reference Chart:

Model Low. Mid. High. Network. Last Year manufactured
    4311 2212 2105 LE25 3112 1978
    4311A 2213 LE5-2 LE25 3112A 1979
    4311B 2213H LE5-10 LE25-2 3112B 1982
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Attached Images Attached Images
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

You can get the pdf's here just do a search or let the list come up and scroll.

Rob

https://jblpro.com/en/discontinued_products
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

One of those links above has no 4311, the other just shows the brochure which does not include driver numbers. The PDF I saved was a chart of all monitors with all drivers listed. I know I got it here but luckily saved it myself since it doesn't appear to be available anywhere I've looked. Happy to share as a PDF but don't know how to host it or show it here.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    One of those links above has no 4311, the other just shows the brochure which does not include driver numbers. The PDF I saved was a chart of all monitors with all drivers listed. I know I got it here but luckily saved it myself since it doesn't appear to be available anywhere I've looked. Happy to share as a PDF but don't know how to host it or show it here.
    You need to pull down the Discontinued from Orange Bar Products. There is quite a bit still up there. The system reference charts are hidden somewhere I downloaded them as a large file months ago. The site was different then???? Keeps changing??? I added it here so we have it:

Techsheets Here:

https://assets.harman.com/portals/wo...1-1a66f07f0499
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    You need to pull down the Discontinued from Orange Bar Products. There is quite a bit still up there. The system reference charts are hidden somewhere I downloaded them as a large file months ago. The site was different then???? Keeps changing??? I added it here so we have it:
    That's the PDF I had, just couldn't figure out how to make it accessible. Did not know the entire PDF could be saved here as an image. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That's the PDF I had, just couldn't figure out how to make it accessible. Did not know the entire PDF could be saved here as an image. Thanks
    Your welcome

You can just attach it like a photo. As long as it's not too big.

Rob

ODDBALL 4312xxxx VERSION and 035 DERIVATIVE?

I was looking at some original JBL documents (basic description, data sheets, technical manuals) for the 4312 series of control monitors at this excellent and quite extensive Australian pro sound design, installation, sales, and rental company called Warehouse Sound. They oddly enough had no entries for any of the 4311 types. But... there are several 4312 models listed. One was a variation I had never known of, that being the 4312BMKII. (?)

On this webpage,
    the number twelve listing,
    < https://warehousesound.com/jblpro.ph...d=sell0&page=2 >,

the types of 4312 listed are:

4312, 4312A, 4312C, 4312MKII

AND, When I clicked on to the link for the 4312MKII "user manual", the doc is for the "Technical Manual 4312/4312B MKII R/L”.

The HF driver for the 4312 MKII is listed as the 052Ti. For the 4312B MKII, the HF driver is listed as the A035TiA, P/N 68669-02

Might that be "A for Australian ?

I had not been aware of the MK versions, and the choice of HF driver types have me curious. Anyone know anything about these?

The company has vast pro sound specs and info on their webpages. Sorry though, no 4311 data. Again, odd.

Regards, D-E
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 08-21-2022 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Seems there is a loose nut behind my keyboard.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

4311 restoration vs upgrade

I have been a long time lurker and learner, but this is my first time asking a question. So, if this needs moved, please help me! My questions/ opinions for/ from the group are this... I have a pair of JBL 4311 WX-A (72436 A and 72443 A) speakers that I inherited from my wife's uncle. I realized that one of the tweeters (LE25) is not working. (I pulled both tweeters, swapped them, and the problem follows the tweeter) There is no scratchiness or anything when adjusting the presence or brilliance in either speaker. Both speakers and cabinets appear to be original, and untouched. (until I removed the tweeters) Given the sentimental value attached to the speakers, I have no intention of selling them, or letting them go. So, retaining any monetary value really isn't an issue for me. The cabinets are in good shape, but could use a refresh. So, the opinions I am looking for are: Upgrade the tweeters with newer ones? Rebuild and re-cone the original tweeters? (what is the opinion of the level of difficulty on doing that?) Take the opportunity to re-cap the crossovers? Tear down everything and refinish the cabinets as well? I obviously would like to keep them as original as possible, but the point of this hobby is also to sit back, relax, and enjoy the sound. So, I look forward to everyone's opinions. All input is greatly appreciated!

I would also love to research the history of where these speakers came from. If there is anyway to look up the serial numbers for that, I would appreciate any links or suggestions to do that as well.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to respond!

Its kinda frowned upon to ask the same question in multiple threads on the site.
    Best to ask the question ONCE, and wait for someone to respond.
    It may be a day or 2 before you get a response

Quote Originally Posted by ctsmee View Post
    I have been a long time lurker and learner, but this is my first time asking a question. So, if this needs moved, please help me! My questions/ opinions for/ from the group are this... I have a pair of JBL 4311 WX-A (72436 A and 72443 A) speakers that I inherited from my wife's uncle. I realized that one of the tweeters (LE25) is not working. (I pulled both tweeters, swapped them, and the problem follows the tweeter) There is no scratchiness or anything when adjusting the presence or brilliance in either speaker. Both speakers and cabinets appear to be original, and untouched. (until I removed the tweeters) Given the sentimental value attached to the speakers, I have no intention of selling them, or letting them go. So, retaining any monetary value really isn't an issue for me. The cabinets are in good shape, but could use a refresh. So, the opinions I am looking for are: Upgrade the tweeters with newer ones? Rebuild and re-cone the original tweeters? (what is the opinion of the level of difficulty on doing that?) Take the opportunity to re-cap the crossovers? Tear down everything and refinish the cabinets as well? I obviously would like to keep them as original as possible, but the point of this hobby is also to sit back, relax, and enjoy the sound. So, I look forward to everyone's opinions. All input is greatly appreciated!

I would also love to research the history of where these speakers came from. If there is anyway to look up the serial numbers for that, I would appreciate any links or suggestions to do that as well.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

So, the opinions I am looking for are: Upgrade the tweeters with newer ones? Rebuild and re-cone the original tweeters? (what is the opinion of the level of difficulty on doing that?) Take the opportunity to re-cap the crossovers? Tear down everything and refinish the cabinets as well? I obviously would like to keep them as original as possible, but the point of this hobby is also to sit back, relax, and enjoy the sound. So, I look forward to everyone's opinions. All input is greatly appreciated!

I'd start with one used tweeter. They seem to be all over the 'net for pretty cheap. Then, with both working, see what you've got. Re-coning doesn't look that difficult if you are steady-handed and like tedious fine work.

With a new/used tweeter, you may be happy enough with them to leave them as they are. I doubt anyone can help you with the actual provenance of your pair. There were too many made and sold all over the world.

Welcome to the Forum... even if you have been lurking. BTW: I deleted your other thread with the duplicate post.

If they were mine I would buy a handful of LE25s, measure all of them for acoustic performance (not the usual DCR test which is close to useless) and pick the two best matched and ideally best performing pair. I would then return all of the extras to the eBay pond.

Unless further exploration showed a problem with the crossovers, I wouldn't bother messing around with them. Two capacitors and two L-pads... pretty hard to mess that up. They didn't use electrolytic caps in these so the caps are most likely just as good today as they were the day they were born.

After fixing the tweeter issue, I would lightly sand them, re-oil them and replace the grille cloth if needed. Put on some music and enjoy.

Alternatively you can easily go down the rabbit hole and improve the tweeter, the mids, the woofers, and the crossovers, but then you wouldn't have 4311s.

Widget

Thread Information