Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDGEWOUND/ KEN- An appreciation

EDGEWOUND/ KEN- An appreciation

Hoped to share this appreciation of a well-known member.
    Intended to post this in prior thread, then thought, in this community, the contributions and tenure of a few individuals makes their names recognizable to many of us and
    Edgewound / Ken is undoubtedly among them.

Between his business/services, tech advice /answers, sharing knowledge of company/products, or his helpful posts/announcements, I suspect a large number of members have
    probably crossed paths with Ken, knowingly or not. While I've only had one direct interaction with him, it made an impression worthy sharing and shouting from the rooftops.

Last year, Ken unwittingly inherited a repair job, when another tech couldn't complete the work.
    Though he had no obligation to help and his already-long queue became backlogged by a lengthy Covid episode, his character and kindness prevailed.
    After learning the repair was needed to display/use our dad's beloved vintage system at memorial event, Ken made it happen.
    He asked the dates and when the time came, the package arrived. His work was perfect and thanks to him, so was the event.

We were deeply grateful for his kindness and wanted to share this appreciation with others who know or know of Ken, a special individual.
    Cheers, Ken. Thanks again.

A great tribute to your Dad, and a wonderful testimonial for Edgewound.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

This is a nice way to share a great experience. I usually only read about bad experiences (on other forums about other people). It's refreshing to hear good ones.

+1 Ken saved my day in 1989

I was in the Ontario Ca. area one weekend in 1989 for a "screen test" to determine whether a friend's group from the area would want to have me do some session work with them. It was all good until the dustcap on one of the EVM 12L speakers in the Twin Reverb amp I had hauled down there came loose. It sounded like the end of the world for the amp.
    We located the Edgewound shop just a few blocks away. Ken plucked the errant part off the speaker, which fixed the immediate problem.
    No charge... Ken's was a warranty shop of EV, so when I left for back up North and my day job, I left the amp with him for the more permanent repair. Thanks again Ken!
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wespence View Post
    Hoped to share this appreciation of a well-known member.
    Intended to post this in prior thread, then thought, in this community, the contributions and tenure of a few individuals makes their names recognizable to many of us and
    Edgewound / Ken is undoubtedly among them.

Between his business/services, tech advice /answers, sharing knowledge of company/products, or his helpful posts/announcements, I suspect a large number of members have
    probably crossed paths with Ken, knowingly or not. While I've only had one direct interaction with him, it made an impression worthy sharing and shouting from the rooftops.

Last year, Ken unwittingly inherited a repair job, when another tech couldn't complete the work.
    Though he had no obligation to help and his already-long queue became backlogged by a lengthy Covid episode, his character and kindness prevailed.
    After learning the repair was needed to display/use our dad's beloved vintage system at memorial event, Ken made it happen.
    He asked the dates and when the time came, the package arrived. His work was perfect and thanks to him, so was the event.

We were deeply grateful for his kindness and wanted to share this appreciation with others who know or know of Ken, a special individual.
    Cheers, Ken. Thanks again.
    Wow, Wesley,

Thank you so much for the extremely kind words!

It was my honor to be able to be a part of your dad's memorial celebration.

Take care.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Just to add to this appreciation thread. Here is how a Californian based reconer ships his recone kits and ultimately refused my refund/return request. Does everyone think this is an acceptable way to ship recone kits? With the surround touching the outer box? Apparently customs must have opened the box and caused the damage. What are your thoughts?

Name:  303792342_531606602102229_2615434155640790872_n.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  125.8 KBName:  286218843_868581031183462_150224444491851277_n.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  171.1 KBName:  305056109_400300768850804_3109028088363776010_n.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  169.2 KBName:  304761361_599994668273295_5569820164913103357_n.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  46.7 KBName:  305084324_314205117575698_4243643603635218200_n.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  75.9 KB

That is a bummer to be sure. I can certainly see why that would make you unhappy.

I have had and used without issue many genuine JBL cone kits with warped or distorted surrounds. If the cone itself is not distorted, usually a day or two hanging loose in place in the basket gets them level enough for an easy install.

I hope they go together well for you.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    That is a bummer to be sure. I can certainly see why that would make you unhappy.

I have had and used without issue many genuine JBL cone kits with warped or distorted surrounds. If the cone itself is not distorted, usually a day or two hanging loose in place in the basket gets them level enough for an easy install.

I hope they go together well for you.

Barry.

My local reconer had them weighted down for 5 days, initially it looked promising but after a few hours they buggered out again. I thought that once glued to the basket they might straighten out over time. This happened to a pair of 128Hs that were left without foam for a few years, the cones were warped but after re-foaming they came good.

Here is a JBL recone kit, there is nearly 2" of clearance all the way around the cone. On the recone kits I received the whole assembly from surround to surround is 460mm. The box is 410mm, that is not a typo, The box was 50mm smaller than the whole assembly. The cone diameter is 390mm. It's a shit brained way to package something.

Name:  20220922_153628.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  61.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Just to add to this appreciation thread. Here is how Ken ships his recone kits and ultimately refused my refund/return request. Does everyone think this is an acceptable way to ship recone kits? With the surround touching the outer box? Apparently customs must have opened the box and caused the damage. What are your thoughts?

Name:  303792342_531606602102229_2615434155640790872_n.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  125.8 KBName:  286218843_868581031183462_150224444491851277_n.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  171.1 KBName:  305056109_400300768850804_3109028088363776010_n.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  169.2 KBName:  304761361_599994668273295_5569820164913103357_n.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  46.7 KBName:  305084324_314205117575698_4243643603635218200_n.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  75.9 KB
    Well, well...
    A few details were left out of this continuing saga of libelous posts in the court of public opinion.

These kits were purchased by kelossus's Dad...if that's even true...through eBay. I have shipped my 2245H kits in this exact size box combined with other kits in the same box to various other international destinations via USPS insured for full value without cone damage. The buyer requested I pack four recone kits...the other order is my 2236H no rot kits...in one box. USPS has size limitations for international parcels, so I packed accordingly like previous international orders that arrived damage free. Then he requests I ship to a US address in Oregon...most likely to save money on shipping. The actual cone body on this 2245H kit is less than 16" which leaves about 1/2" all around for clearance. This order through eBay was instructed to ship to an address in the US State of Oregon which would be then forwarded to Australia by the buyer's freight forwarder. My responsibility and insurance through domestic carrier for full value in excess of $1,000.00 expired once the package arrived in Oregon on August 9, 2022. The buyer...purportedly kelossus's father... then claimed the kits arrived in damaged condition on September 9, 2022...in Australia...outside of my responsibility. I requested Mr. Greg Kelly...Chris's father...if true...file a damage claim with his freight forwarder. Via eBay message, he said he would. No response after that, other than a return request, which I denied. I offered to replace the damaged recone kits as long as he paid for the insured shipping to his destination. The return/refund request would require that I pay for and send a return label from Australia to Upland, California, in addition to a refund. Not acceptable to me, so I denied the return request, and my eBay listing specifically states "No Returns". The buyer then filed a dispute with his financial institution for the purchase of the kits. eBay has put the case on hold while it investigates a probable abuse of it's return policies and a possible case of international e-commerce theft/fraud.

I would request the moderators delete this thread since it has nothing to do with Lansing Heritage and this specific thread. It's purely malicious in intent, and probably opens the poster...kelossus...to a case of internet defamation and libel. This person has repeatedly attempted to damage my reputation on multiple fora, but has still chosen to buy my product...with what intent?

My local reconer had them weighted down for 5 days, initially it looked promising but after a few hours they buggered out again. I thought that once glued to the basket they might straighten out over time. This happened to a pair of 128Hs that were left without foam for a few years, the cones were warped but after re-foaming they came good.

Here is a JBL recone kit, there is nearly 2" of clearance all the way around the cone. On the recone kits I received the whole assembly from surround to surround is 460mm. The box is 410mm, that is not a typo, The box was 50mm smaller than the whole assembly. The cone diameter is 390mm. It's a shit brained way to package something.

Name:  20220922_153628.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  61.8 KB
    I provided instructions to apply moisture to the rear of the cone where Aquaplas is applied to correct the cone distortions. I have done the procedure with satisfactory results on several occasions to save a warped cone. Some technicians can actually follow instructions...most cannot. Not surprising.

I requested Mr. Greg Kelly...Chris's father...if true...file a damage claim with his freight forwarder. Via eBay message, he said he would. No response after that, other than a return request, which I denied. I offered to replace the damaged recone kits as long as he paid for the insured shipping to his destination.

The 15" recone kits were for my Dad and the 18" recone kits were for me.

Prove that, post a screenshot of you requesting that and my reply saying I would file a damage claim. You stopped responding to me hence why I opened the dispute! This is insane and speaks to your character. None of that correspondence happened and if it did, you would post a screenshot of it. Post a screenshot of you offering to replace the damage recone kits. Nothing was ever offered to me. I would happily pay for return shipping at my expense, no worries.

Post the screenshots and I'll leave the forum never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Well, well...
    I would request the moderators delete this thread since it has nothing to do with Lansing Heritage and this specific thread. It's purely malicious in intent, and probably opens the poster...kelossus...to a case of internet defamation and libel. This person has repeatedly attempted to damage my reputation on multiple fora, but has still chosen to buy my product...with what intent?
    What have I said that isn't true? You are the one making up fake correspondence. I will provide screenshots of every single message to prove this.

I paid the premium for your recones because I want my JBLs as close as possible to original. Even if I don't agree with how you run your business evident by every facebook comment on your page, I still think you offer the closest to original kits and I'll pay for that. Do you think I would purposely damage the cones just to rubbish you? Look at how you packed them? There is not one person on the forum who would agree its acceptable.

A 460mm assembly in a 410mm box.

I requested Mr. Greg Kelly...Chris's father...if true...file a damage claim with his freight forwarder. Via eBay message, he said he would. No response after that, other than a return request, which I denied. I offered to replace the damaged recone kits as long as he paid for the insured shipping to his destination.

The 15" recone kits were for my Dad and the 18" recone kits were for me.

Prove that, post a screenshot of you requesting that and my reply saying I would file a damage claim. You stopped responding to me hence why I opened the dispute! This is insane and speaks to your character. None of that correspondence happened and if it did, you would post a screenshot of it. Post a screenshot of you offering to replace the damage recone kits. Nothing was ever offered to me. I would happily pay for return shipping at my expense, no worries.

Post the screenshots and I'll leave the forum never to return.
    New message from: gkelly1960 (753)
    In my experience when a postal company opens a box they put a sticker on it saying as much or use a colored tape when repacking. It's a bit hard to prove or ascertain if the box has been opened. With the foam surround its just an incredibly tight fit and a little obvious how the damage occurred.

I'll speak to my reconer about weighting the cone down and see what he says. Otherwise like you said, a claim may be in order.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Ken.

You did mention a damage claim but I was under the impression you were going to do that? Where did you request that I raise a claim with the carrier?

More importantly, the screenshots of you offering to replace the cones if I pay for shipping and my subsequent decline? I'm dying to see those.

Ken, do you think these were packaged acceptably? Are you happy with how you packaged these?

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    New message from: gkelly1960 (753)
    In my experience when a postal company opens a box they put a sticker on it saying as much or use a colored tape when repacking. It's a bit hard to prove or ascertain if the box has been opened. With the foam surround its just an incredibly tight fit and a little obvious how the damage occurred.

I'll speak to my reconer about weighting the cone down and see what he says. Otherwise like you said, a claim may be in order.
    This case is on hold
    eBay Customer Service has placed the case on hold until Sep 26, 2022
    Hi Kenneth,
    Your case was placed on hold temporarily. We will get back to you with an update by Sep 26, 2022.
    We have asked for more information from your customer to confirm the condition of the item received. If any additional information is needed from you we will request it through an email.

Your previous message
    Thanks, Greg,

Kits I've shipped to Indonesia have experienced damage to the dust domes due to careless customs inspectors taking the parts out of the box and carelessly putting them back in, without replacing the PVC center support properly, causing damage to the box.

You can tell your reconer he might carefully mist the rear of the cone with a spray bottle of water to moisten/soften the Aquaplas then place it face down as I described previously. I've had success doing this with this cone. Gotta be a flat surface.

Keep me posted please.

Ken

Your previous message
    Greg,
    I’ve shipped a dozen kits globally exactly like that with no previous damage. It looks like the box was searched and the kits put back carelessly. The center support is skewed outside the holder that is placed in the lid that would distort the shape of the cone. Try setting the cones face down with something like a hardcover book setting on top of the cardboard support tube to see if it straightens out. Otherwise, a damage claim is in order. The cone body is less than 16” edge to edge.
    Ken

Yes all four. Will they fit in one box?
    Your previous message
    All four kits, correct?
    Can you please box these for international freight. I am going to use a freight forwarder in Oregon.

Thread Information