Thread: 2360A horns with older drivers

2360A horns with older drivers

Curious if anyone has ran any of the older 1 inch compression drivers with newer horns. I'm planning on buying a set of 2360A horns that came up on marketplace near me. From what I've gathered digging around this forum, most people run these with the 2445 or 2450 drivers (or TAD for those with larger budgets than mine).

I have not yet purchased any 2 inch drivers, but I do have a pair of LE175s I could throw on with adapters[URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/185416737630[/URL]. I plan to use some 2405 slot tweeters for >10khz, so high end isn't really much of a concern.

Is this something that other people have had luck experimenting with? Or should I just go ahead and buy the 2445/2450s?

Opinion: That's a large horn to bother putting a 1" driver on, let alone one with a fragile aluminum diaphragm (as opposed to phenolic which can take a bit more of a beating). It wouldn't actually hurt anything, as long as you kept the crossover frequency sufficiently high, the slope steep, to keep from over driving the LE175. It would be tempting to keep dropping the crossover frequency if you adjusted by ear, as it would probably sound better until it permanently sounded a lot worse, if you get my drift. Something like a 2445 can be had pretty cheaply if you are patient and look around, then maybe you could use the low-end that a horn like the 2360 series can offer.

Maybe someone else has had a different experience? I put 2446's on the same horns and they sounded pretty good, even without HF augmentation.

The rest of the story . . .

You also will need a tailored frequency response pre-emphasis to use that horn successfully. I am not aware of a passive crossover that provides it. JBL M552 and M553 or 5235 with the appropriate cards will be necessary for analog bi-amping.

Also, if you do end up buying the horns, be sure they come with the correct throats; you would have nothing without the correct throats.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thanks for the input! I didn't plan on going too low with the horns, but I suppose that's a nice advantage of the 2360s. Seems like another reason to go with a 2445 driver. I do have a couple of 2123 midbass drivers, so I suppose I could have those carry up to around 2khz.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Opinion: That's a large horn to bother putting a 1" driver on, let alone one with a fragile aluminum diaphragm (as opposed to phenolic which can take a bit more of a beating). It wouldn't actually hurt anything, as long as you kept the crossover frequency sufficiently high, the slope steep, to keep from over driving the LE175. It would be tempting to keep dropping the crossover frequency if you adjusted by ear, as it would probably sound better until it permanently sounded a lot worse, if you get my drift. Something like a 2445 can be had pretty cheaply if you are patient and look around, then maybe you could use the low-end that a horn like the 2360 series can offer.

Maybe someone else has had a different experience? I put 2446's on the same horns and they sounded pretty good, even without HF augmentation.

good point about the eq curve required for these (or any constant directivity horn)... there were horn-specific cards for the smaller FFBREQ (flat front) horns such as the 2380 and the larger CCBREQ 236x series to use in the 5234/5 electronic crossover. I never got around to trying the 553 with 2360s... internal jumpers, IIRC (?)

More info that -might- be interesting (if you read down a bit):

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...r-Filter-Cards

2360 needs 2" driver

Get the right driver for this horn and you wont be dissappointed.

Ron sends....
    JBL Pro for home use!

If you could find a pair of 2427 they were 2426 with a 2" throat. I would drop a pair of 2450's with sl diaphrams on them

Have fun!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

My 2bits:

I tried 2427's on 2360's and found that the HF was very minimally better since the horn slot width is where the trouble begins about 12KHz and that is what I was looking for so I just went back to large format divers and tweeters.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanks for the info! I haven't really gotten into active crossovers much yet, although I've considered the 5234 & 5235 before. I plan on using DSP with this build, since I already have a pretty good one on hand, but may go down the active crossover route in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    good point about the eq curve required for these (or any constant directivity horn)... there were horn-specific cards for the smaller FFBREQ (flat front) horns such as the 2380 and the larger CCBREQ 236x series to use in the 5234/5 electronic crossover. I never got around to trying the 553 with 2360s... internal jumpers, IIRC (?)

More info that -might- be interesting (if you read down a bit):

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...r-Filter-Cards

Thread Information