Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
Please, l prefer that you don’t quote a single sentence of my posts and use it out of the context of my fully established reasoning.

I wasn’t referring to Mobile Fidelity. l was referring to hi resolution digital streaming of older analogue recordings which is a different thing.

That is an A to D process.
Apologies for that, however I did reread your post (#27) and don't see anything that would have lead me to believe it was only and specifically about high resolution digital streaming.

...What l reasoned was an originally digitally recorded piece music would sound better on hi resolution digital streaming playback such as the 24/96 standard.

That is a D to D process...
I would respectfully say MAY, not would. Every time an engineer puts his/her hands on an original recording there's a chance they will put their stamp on it with changes, even if it's the original engineer (even unconsciously). Most of what I hear that has been reissued, remastered, whatever, and released on 24/96 doesn't sound as good as the original 16/44, if the original had the proper attention paid to it whether originally analogue or digital source.

...Most modern popular recordings are in fact digitally recorded and then mastered for Cd release or any of the various streaming platforms. So in theory a 24/96 re master of the original digital recording should sound very good...
Agree that it should, but often don't. Have you listened to an Adele 24/96 stream? Awful.

...But if l wanted to stream an older music like the Eagles first Album or Fleetwood Mac and listen to some Peter Green tunes they would be an A to D process and it would not necessarily sound as good as a D to D recording...
Agree with not necessarily, but it COULD sound as good or better. Especially with some of today's higher quality d>a converters that can really extract resolution from 16/44 recordings.

...In the case of Mobile Fidelity l have not read any evidence to exactly what they did in the digital domain to their vinyl recordings. If in fact they took an analogue recording and did a digital transfer and then digital to analogue transfer then ot looks like this.

An A to D process then an D to A process...
This appears to be exactly what's happened based on the Post article and subsequent YouTube video with the engineers saying that's what they're doing. Again, I have no issue with it other than lack of transparency.

...What you don’t know is what mother they use or what 2 inch master tape they use on particular recordings unless it’s stated on that pressing...
Mobile Fidelity says these albums are sourced from the original Master Tapes. That's their thing. The engineers confirmed it in their video.

...I personally think an original analogue vinyl recording through a very good cartridge and turntable wins hands down. The caveat being it had to be a good recording!
I wouldn't argue this point at all, it's a personal preference. My personal preference would be for a first generation tape of an analogue recording at 30ips. Failing that, or for a digital recording, digital playback.