Thank you for yet another detailed response, Ian! I really appreciate you taking the time to shed some advice my way.

Neat links. Listened to "Jungle Man" by the Meters, which was imbedded into that bass frequency range link. Never heard it before, I dig it. I think the only Meters tune I knew was "Rigor Mortis." Have you auditioned that Behringer amp? Lot of watts for the buck, plus an equalizer.

I think I am asking for too much from the XPL's. That or they're playing much louder than I actually think. Story time (Skip if you hate these): As a teen and into my early twenties, harsh sounds/ears hurting were my indicators for it's "too loud." That was often achieved with my JBL E90's and a 100 watt/channel receiver But with my current gear, it doesn't hurt or shock me unless it's a terrible recording. I was once listening to ZZ Top and the ex had to relocate to a different room while I jammed on. So I thought I was going deaf or perhaps hard of hearing so I went in for a test. Well, despite having tinnitus they told me my hearing was actually better than most. The tech analyzing me said I had better hearing than he did. With that said, I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve SPL wise. I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers the other day, for example. I wore ear plugs as I always do at concerts and whoa, they were still really loud. My ears would have been bleeding if not for the plugs. By comparison, my set-up seems like it comes about 80% as close to concert levels. I should have taken my SPL meter, but I think it measures in the wrong weight for audio? In any event, when I listen again I'll cite what levels I achieved and what meter I used. I think last time I did it was 114dB peak. Concerts achieve up to 120, so 114 should be damn loud, but it isn't hurting my ears and so that says to me it isn't loud enough. Then when I showed my dad my set up, he goes to jam it and similar thing- he goes to turn the damn thing up louder than I would. Fortunately, I did not have reveal my system's weakness as what he was listening to (Edgar Winter) wasn't bass heavy, but did have to tell him to watch for the clip lights. He was at least impressed with the system's clarity, and said that's why he kept wanting to go louder. Looks like we attenuate volume based on the same criteria, pain in the ears. Is that typical behavior?

TLDR: I suppose I need to adjust to the fact that the system is louder than necessary/capable. It's just a hard thing to get my mind to come to terms with, from comparing concert experience to home listening experience. However, it does seem that when at a concert, satisfactory bass thump in my chest. At home, just shy of that. From your post I've deduced I need to amplify the 40-70hz spectrum.

Passive mode huh? Hmm. Well, my experience with those XPL's seems to mirror everyone elses', that with the switch flipped to "Passive" the bass just doesn't sound great, but it really comes alive when you bring out another stereo amp and switch to "bi-amp" with an active crossover. Like, the bass isn't tight and seems muddled by comparison. I'm not sure why that is, but do remember coming across something in which Greg Timbers said the 2214H didn't play well with the inductor in the network, that bi-amping solves that problem.

So what do you think of this idea?: Continue to use the XPL's in bi-amp configuration. Divide the signal to them via Ashly XR2001- amplifier 1 for midbass, midrange and tweeter, amplifier 2 for 2214H, but limited to 100hz via XR2001, amplifier 3 for passive subwoofers, HK Citation 7.4's (which utilize anLE14-H) I like this idea as I enjoy the bass from the 2214H's, very tight no matter what frequency. Hard for me to describe but I think you know what I mean. I'm just afraid I'd lose that if I used a subwoofer to cover stuff above 60hz.

Again, thank you (and anyone else) who reads through my drivel and tries to make sense of it to help me. It's really appreciated. I love listening to music and have never enjoyed it like I do now, thanks to this gear. It's just started that bug of, "Well, this sounds good, but how can it be better?" Which all started from a free receiver and a set of JBL LX44's. Funny how that goes, right?