Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
Yeah, I had a mint pair of 240Ti’s years ago - very disappointing. Similar comparison between 240Ti and 250Ti as there is from L100T3 to XPL200 - didn’t have the smoothness in the mids or the definition in the bass. I ended up pulling them apart - Grumpy has the enclosures now, mids went to someone else for a 250 to 250Ti up grade, etc.

I think the biggest thing you’ll gain going to the UREI’s, or really any high efficiency speaker, is that they will sound much more dynamic when played loud, as they will not go into compression until a higher volume point. For someone who likes it loud like you, this may be addicting, but you may miss how clean and detailed the XPL’s sounded. If you want it loud, clean, and dynamic, you will find your choice in speakers to be much smaller, and at significantly higher cost (Genelec, JBL K2, Danley, etc). I have never heard UREI’s, btw, so I cannot say how they sound.
That's a bummer. Interesting you mention definition in bass, cleanliness and dynamics. That's just about everything I love about the XPL200's in a nutshell. Their bass & midbass really makes "old" tracks come to life in ways that make me feel like I'm hearing them for the first time. I don't know how to explain it better than that though. But listening to say "Dear Prudence" and "Get Back" by the Beatles is an experience. Difference between HD and SD. Speaking of Get Back, I used my SPL meter the other day. The system achieved a peak of 107 dB-A (Clip lights flickering on the Adcom GFA-555II) but was comfortable around 106 dB-A (No clip lights). My listening position is about seven or eight feet from the speakers. How loud do you (and anyone else who'd like to comment!) listen and what will your system(s) achieve? About how much louder might I expect from a system that has a rated sensitivity of ~101dB @ 1watt/1meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
Did you say "K2"? (In parenthesis at least...)

As often posted around here, I use a pair of JBL Synthesis S2S 15" subs with my K2s to give better mid bass and better low bass. The BSS 366T grumpy-tuned omnidrive units on the K2s and Greg Timbers blest S2S subs on a 40Hz crossover through a Parasound pre make a great addition that produces ample LF output in my home's big common area.

I see S2S subs on the 'bay from time to time, and prices are usually low. Since I prefer to have subs that require external amplification, the S2S fits the bill. There have been far too many failed plate amps for me to want to mess with that again.
I'll keep an eye out for them should this hypothetical thing fall through. I also prefer subs which require external amplification as failed plate amps have been my experience too. Well, I also have enough failed amps in my roster as well. My Carver TFM 55x is out along with my "spare" Crown K1. Both have dead right channels. I think I'll fix the Crown, but no one locally will touch the Carver and it's already been under the knife under my tenure...