Thread: 4312 Crossover Help

4312 Crossover Help

Okay I am almost at the finishing point of putting these JBL 4312 speakers back together. However today I noticed that there is a wiring mishap perhaps. The diagram says green and green/black go to to woofer and that Red and black cables go to the rear of the cabinet for the wiring housing to external speaker. These however have speaker clips on the end of the red and black and no clips on the green cables. How can I be sure this won’t damage the cabinet if I do it this way. I enclosed pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Can't help but I'm curious. What kind of terminals are on your woofer? What kind of connections are on your input terminals (I suppose that's what you mean by "the wiring housing to external speaker").

It's a pretty simple network with the woofer running full-range direct from the input terminals.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Since the red and black wires are connected directly to the green and green/black wires you can go either way... you could even connect the red and green wire to the woofer and the black and green/green/black wires to the input. It won't make a difference.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Since the red and black wires are connected directly to the green and green/black wires you can go either way... you could even connect the red and green wire to the woofer and the black and green/green/black wires to the input. It won't make a difference.

Widget
    so technically I can use it as it is? That’s what you are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Can't help but I'm curious. What kind of terminals are on your woofer? What kind of connections are on your input terminals (I suppose that's what you mean by "the wiring housing to external speaker").

It's a pretty simple network with the woofer running full-range direct from the input terminals.
    what i meant were the internal terminal connections. I was writing this on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by TerrapinBill View Post
    so technically I can use it as it is? That’s what you are saying?
    Without any firsthand knowledge of these speakers I am not sure what the problem is. Are you saying that the woofer needs these polarized spade connectors and the input panel needs bare wire?

Most JBL woofers that I have used have spring clip terminals that accept bare wire so the woofer would get the green wires and the red and black wires will go to the input as shown on the schematic. If the opposite is true and the woofer needs spade connectors and the input side needs bare wire then flip them around.

Widget

Name:  D61D1242-B688-4088-9DBD-FE7EBAF35012.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  85.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Without any firsthand knowledge of these speakers I am not sure what the problem is. Are you saying that the woofer needs these polarized spade connectors and the input panel needs bare wire?

Most JBL woofers that I have used have spring clip terminals that accept bare wire so the woofer would get the green wires and the red and black wires will go to the input as shown on the schematic. If the opposite is true and the woofer needs spade connectors and the input side needs bare wire then flip them around.

Widget
    So the green cables are supposed to be ran to the woofers. They however have no speaker connectors. Instead the black and red wires that usually go to the terminal in the rear of the cabinet have speaker attachments. Someone mentioned that how they are wired now it would be fine. Check the attached pic

Looking at the photograph, the connections are exactly like what is shown in the schematic. A photograph of the woofer would be helpful. Does it have spade lugs or does it have spring terminals?

Regardless, I think you’re overthinking this. Electrically the red wire and the green/black wire are identical. The same is true of the black wire and the green wire.

Widget
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 08-06-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Hello TerrapinBill, the red and black wires go to the input binding posts. The Green and Green with Black trace to the woofer.

I did it. Thanks guys. It was my fear indeed

Great! Glad it worked out.

Widget

Thread Information