Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
I’d love your opinions of the various woofers.

Widget
The 136a and the 2235 are very similar in sound. The 2235 does a very good job in my 4344 clones crossed at 290hz. however both these woofers seemed to struggle to meet the 800hz cutoff to reach the LE85 and HL92 Horn in the L300. Building the Nelson Pass Crossover improved this a lot but I could still detect it could be improved upon. Not that the speaker was bad at all and I was fairly satisfied.

Thanks to Heather I found the 2216nd was back in stock and ordered them intending at some point to build a M2 clone. I decided to try them in the L300. I was very pleased to find the new woofer was almost seamless with the horn. The bass is also more articulate in that low bass notes can be heard without any muddiness. Also being very light to handle doesn't hurt. The sound may change somewhat when the woofers break in. I am sure it could be even better in a cabinet redesign and crossover designed for it, but for now I am well pleased.

I wish had the test equipment some of you have to verify my suppositions. But for now I rely on people like you and the others on this forum.