Thread: Materials question for DIY 4350

Materials question for DIY 4350

Greetings All,

Tried doing some looking throughout the forum for an answer on this question but...

Getting ready to start a 4350/4355 build. Curious what the thoughts are on using Baltic birch compared to MDF? Thickness of material, is 1" material better than 3/4" for damping and baffle rigidity?

Since lumber prices are so high I just want to make sure I'm putting my dollars towards the bet musical results.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nordwall View Post
    Greetings All,

Tried doing some looking throughout the forum for an answer on this question but...

Getting ready to start a 4350/4355 build. Curious what the thoughts are on using Baltic birch compared to MDF? Thickness of material, is 1" material better than 3/4" for damping and baffle rigidity?

Since lumber prices are so high I just want to make sure I'm putting my dollars towards the bet musical results.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer

Chris
    I've found the best combination is 1"MDF for the sides, tops and bottoms with Baltic Birch for the front and back baffles. All internal bracing is Baltic Birch as well as any internal mid-bass boxes.

I find the 1" MDF is very vibration resistant with the Baltic Birch adding strength and rigidity to the entire cabinet.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    I've found the best combination is 1"MDF for the sides, tops and bottoms with Baltic Birch for the front and back baffles. All internal bracing is Baltic Birch as well as any internal mid-bass boxes.

I find the 1" MDF is very vibration resistant with the Baltic Birch adding strength and rigidity to the entire cabinet.

Chris

Many thanks for the advice. Sure wish I had started this project a few years ago $$$$!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordwall View Post
    Many thanks for the advice. Sure wish I had started this project a few years ago $$$$!
    I haven't bought any birch plywood recently, but most of the birch plywood that I have bought over the years was either Polish or Russian. I doubt we'll be seeing any more Russian plywood in the near term.

I like Christo's recommendation. If you follow that you should have a pretty stout enclosure.

Widget

Thread Information