Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Super mini paragon and Speaker ID, appraisal help too!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10

    Super mini paragon and Speaker ID, appraisal help too!!

    Ok, I posted on this before but have some better photos and need help. I can buy this but want to get some ideas on what it I'd and a possible guess on value so I know what kind of price is fair. It works, sounds great and have been told less than 10 exist and this is number 5. Ok go!! HELP!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    302
    Appears to be a somewhat popular project with different approaches and builders:

    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...to-buy.692701/

    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172873-big-littlehorn-fe83en-2.html


    http://jbl.harman-japan.co.jp/paragon/

    https://www.coastalvectors.com/blog/...ragon-project/

    I think the one in your pictures is the same one in the last link and they were asking $1,300 for them at the time they were making them

    Joe

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    314
    i remember seing that add from facebook...cute
    Semper Fidelis

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMED View Post
    i remember seing that add from facebook...cute
    What ad? Do you have any idea on what the current market or price would be on this? I want to buy it but dont want to overpay

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by ekegelmann View Post
    What ad? Do you have any idea on what the current market or price would be on this? I want to buy it but dont want to overpay
    I provided you with the link to the the guy who makes them, what else do you need?
    Your inquiry has been answered now about a half a dozen times and in about as many ways
    You need to make up your mind how much you want to pay for the useless piece of crap
    Here's the builder's email just one more time:
    https://www.coastalvectors.com/
    Just click on "CONTACT"
    He'll be able to answer all of your questions

    Joe

    Here's the guy you need to email with all of your questions and concerns:
    My name is Michael Caldwell. I am a graduate of Brigham Young University, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology. I am also a Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT). I have gained experience in my field through both practical educational experience, my senior practicum, as well as through internships.
    For many years I have also worked as a graphic designer for design firms, print shops, as well as numerous private clients. Working in both design and print, I have received insight into design that can be produced effectively and beautifully in both digital and print mediums.
    Coastal Vectors is the name by which I market my services as both a graphic designer and as an engineer.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    I provided you with the link to the the guy who makes them, what else do you need?
    Your inquiry has been answered now about a half a dozen times and in about as many ways
    You need to make up your mind how much you want to pay for the useless piece of crap
    Here's the builder's email just one more time:
    https://www.coastalvectors.com/
    Just click on "CONTACT"
    He'll be able to answer all of your questions

    Joe

    Here's the guy you need to email with all of your questions and concerns:
    My name is Michael Caldwell. I am a graduate of Brigham Young University, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology. I am also a Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT). I have gained experience in my field through both practical educational experience, my senior practicum, as well as through internships.
    For many years I have also worked as a graphic designer for design firms, print shops, as well as numerous private clients. Working in both design and print, I have received insight into design that can be produced effectively and beautifully in both digital and print mediums.
    Coastal Vectors is the name by which I market my services as both a graphic designer and as an engineer.
    ive sent the guy an email and says it isnt his build, the owners told me it was made in the late 60s early 70's. Im not being rude, sorry Sir. Ill stop bothering you. Seems like this has you all bent out of shape.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by ekegelmann View Post
    ive sent the guy an email and says it isnt his build, the owners told me it was made in the late 60s early 70's. Im not being rude, sorry Sir. Ill stop bothering you. Seems like this has you all bent out of shape.
    No one said or accused you of being rude, I am simply asking you to actually look at and read the material I and others have supplied you regarding this functional toy miniature Paragon model and refrain from asking the same question over and over

    I will say however that you are not being honest.
    Michael Caldwell did not tell you that and as for being built in the late '60s or early '70s the Michael Caldwell blog clears that question up as the photos there are clearly and obviously of the same build and batch of units of which you posted photos of an example
    I would also think his personal interaction and conversation on the page featuring the model, not to mention it's inclusion in his own personal list of projects he himself has done would be a pretty good indicator that you are not telling the truth!

    For what reason you made that statement I don't have a clue

    As for the specific example seen in the photos you provided and subject of your original inquiry? If the owners really did tell you what you say they did regarding it's age, then they are either mistaken or being dishonest, your pick

    If you insist on saying that you wrote Caldwell and he did in fact tell you what you claim then post the email here for all to see

    The miniature Paragon model of which you have inquired was built during the second decade of this century by Michael Caldwell and his Father
    It is not old or vintage in any way
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay to have it

    Joe

  8. #8
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,442
    Does anyone else here get reminded of the Monty Python skit "Buying an Argument" whenever Joseph Smith (AKA Wagner) posts?

    https://vimeo.com/25921512
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    No one said or accused you of being rude, I am simply asking you to actually look at and read the material I and others have supplied you regarding this functional toy miniature Paragon model and refrain from asking the same question over and over

    I will say however that you are not being honest.
    Michael Caldwell did not tell you that and as for being built in the late '60s or early '70s the Michael Caldwell blog clears that question up as the photos there are clearly and obviously of the same build and batch of units of which you posted photos of an example
    I would also think his personal interaction and conversation on the page featuring the model, not to mention it's inclusion in his own personal list of projects he himself has done would be a pretty good indicator that you are not telling the truth!

    For what reason you made that statement I don't have a clue

    As for the specific example seen in the photos you provided and subject of your original inquiry? If the owners really did tell you what you say they did regarding it's age, then they are either mistaken or being dishonest, your pick

    If you insist on saying that you wrote Caldwell and he did in fact tell you what you claim then post the email here for all to see

    The miniature Paragon model of which you have inquired was built during the second decade of this century by Michael Caldwell and his Father
    It is not old or vintage in any way
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay to have it

    Joe
    I delete all my email that has no value to me. In my first email to him I did not have photos at that time like I did today. I believe I was just blown off. I decided to do what you suggested and wrote back and since I received the photos that I had now gotten he said that indeed they did make these. This was number 5 out of 9. They kept 3 of them so there are 6 floating around. I appreciate the information, but I did write to them around a month ago. I am not lying about this because I really wanted to know about this item and I found that info myself awhile back. You are correct it was built in 2013. The owners of the item claim its from the late 60's. This is where everything got confusing. They obviously did not know their father bought a relatively new item. He collected old radios so I believe they presumed it was old as well. On that note it sold for $1500 back in 2013 and they lost money building it because it actually cost more than that to build it. I want to buy it to keep in my office and because i find the quality to be excellent. All I wanted to know was if the price they are asking was legit. I DO thank you for the help. I believe forums and texting and other ways of communication lose a lot of what one is actually asking or how they are telling the answers etc.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2
    Hey Guys, Sorry for replying to a post that's so old. I am Michael Caldwell and did indeed create that unit. I don't recall being contacted about it in 2016, but if I had, I would most definitely have recognized it!

    We sold those originally for $1,200. I have no idea how to appraise what they are worth now. Given all the wood, parts, and research went into them, I'm pretty sure they were sold at a slight loss, but we didn't actually make them to make money, we did it for the fun and love of the Paragon.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Super rare Western Elecrtic speaker on the bay
    By tom1356 in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2015, 06:10 AM
  2. Anybody See This Mini Paragon on eBay
    By Oldmics in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  3. SUPER COOL 1920s Lansing Radio Speaker
    By Steve Schell in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •