Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is home HIFI dead ???

I think that's a fair assessment. I sell BMWs. The scary thing to me is I get credit applications from retired folk whose income is more money a month than I'm making still working 12-months!

As my Dad used to say when I'd ask why I couldn't have things the preppy kids at my prep-school had: "You picked the wrong womb!"

"May the Lord smite me with money . . . and may I never recover!" — reb tevye
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey Phil,

Did you ever watch Billions the series on Stan?

Kind of says it all on sketchy new get rich quick wealth versus the DA’s office looking for the white collar crooks. I think l saw a descent turntable on one of the sets.

I could help them spend it all. On Hifi stuff anyway and cars. Your right, priorities are the thing.
    I did see in that clip I posted above that the CBS reporter was quite floored by what he heard. Even the ladies were impressed it seemed. Or just being TV phoney. But I felt the male reporter was genuinely taken back but what he heard.
    I've always felt that was the key to any sale. Once you hear something that good, some folks can never forget. They are hopefully a future sale to somebody. That itch just may catch.
    I mean if you love music who could say no to better music?
    It's like we say in the car world, speeds just a matter of money, how fast do you wanna go?

This is what they want…….HuhummmmAha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    This is what they want…….HuhummmmAha
    That's funny as I just watched that guys video yesterday with that system in it. I like how he has done the plywood in that grey tone. You can still see the plywood grain . I think it looks cool. Never seen that finish before.
    Too me that system looks beautiful. Not TOO big at all. It's art to me. I'd like to hear that 30 inch. At least I think it's a 30inch. Or a 21inch.

Quote Originally Posted by jblguy View Post
    That's funny as I just watched that guys video yesterday with that system in it. I like how he has done the plywood in that grey tone. You can still see the plywood grain . I think it looks cool. Never seen that finish before.
    Too me that system looks beautiful. Not TOO big at all. It's art to me. I'd like to hear that 30 inch. At least I think it's a 30inch. Or a 21inch.
    yeah, I love the finish on those cabinets. Definitely a more elegant look than your standard matte.

I'm heard the super sub in another one of Devon's systems and, believe it or not, it's subtle. When it's on, it simply fills out the sound. It's not in your face like one might think. I heard his home system with and without the Fostex sub enabled and when it's off, you can tell something is missing but it's not a dramatic difference.

Although the 4305P is being pitched by the Harman Luxury Group l think this interview is a good product profile on answering the needs of the next generation.

https://www.harmanluxuryaudionews.co...udio-monitors/
    $2,200

It has a built in streamer. https://www.whathifi.com/au/news/jbl...reaming-skills

I think the connectivity on the rear gives this model universal appeal.

I am not sure about the appearance of the design fitting in with mums beautiful living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I am not sure about the appearance of the design fitting in with mums beautiful living room.
    Pick out the thing that doesn't fit in this picture.

Widget

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Might as well have in-ceiling speakers!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Widget
    What the hell’s that tree doing in there?!?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    What the hell’s that tree doing in there?!?

Barry.
    Right!

Widget

NW Audio Show

Colleagues,

Germaine to subject matter at hand: The N.W. Audio Show event is scheduled to take place at the Double Tree Inn across the highway from the Sea-Tac airport the 29th through the 31st of this month. I will take my self and beloved spouse from the bucolic wastes of Hood Canal and witness this sight and give a report.

God willing and the creek don't rise, and my spouse feels up to it.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Colleagues,

Germaine to subject matter at hand: The N.W. Audio Show event is scheduled to take place at the Double Tree Inn across the highway from the Sea-Tac airport the 29th through the 31st of this month. I will take my self and beloved spouse from the bucolic wastes of Hood Canal and witness this sight and give a report.

God willing and the creek don't rise, and my spouse feels up to it.

Ed
    See you there! Will be my first time in Seattle.

Ok guys, we want a full report with pictures if possible!

Widget

Further Thoughts

I remember in the early '60's that most people with a Hi-Fi had a largish console stereo made by Magnavox or Sylvania et al and that real hi-fi was confined to high end salons where we would find Fisher, AR, JBL/ Altec. Then fueled by returning
    military people came back from Asia with all kind of exotic goodies like Kenwood, Sansui, and Teac which many of us had never seen before and Hi-Fi took off, and most of us bought the most we could afford.

I believe that Robh is correct, home Hi-Fi has now morphed into HT and since most of only have our viewing and audio systems in the same rooms, listening now plays 2nd fiddle to HT. As you can assume, not in my house, or probably yours.

So here we are, just like before. But instead of a console, we have a DVD, AVR and some crummy little crap box speakers, while people like us haunt the Audio stores wanting to hear what the L-100 classic sounds like......if we can find them.
    Will it stay this way. I don't think so. Some retailer at "If You Have To Ask You Can't Afford It" audio emporium, will figure out that they can make a pile of money selling mid level but still high quality products.

Them's my thoughts...for now

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information