Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is home HIFI dead ???

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Yes there was consideration of a third center channel. Have you ever listened to the old Living Presence mixes that were recorded with a third center channel from the 50's?? There were released on SACD years back and it sounds much better/fuller and much more spacious than the plain stereo versions.

Rob
    Haven't tried that, though I think I have a couple of those discs.

I wonder if a derived center channel works as well.

Do you use an HT set up for that? And, do you play all three channels the same sound pressure level?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Haven't tried that, though I think I have a couple of those discs.

I wonder if a derived center channel works as well.

Do you use an HT set up for that? And, do you play all three channels the same sound pressure level?
    I played it in my HT and yes they are all calibrated to the same level.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Really? Why?
    If it wasn't his idea, that was his response. Not unlike Elon Musk.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kli...al-bull-button
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

So I guess "bullshit" is the polite word for "Heresy"? Still confused here.

So I guess "bullshit" is the polite word for "Heresy"? Still confused here.

About?? Assuming the site is correct it's the right time frame for the 3 channel recordings I believe. It make sense especially if the horns were on the long/longish wall. The more separation the further back you would have to go to maintain the correct angles. This would anchor the image and would get a wide soundstage which is what you get when you listen on an HT system listening to those 3 channel recordings.

Rob

Reverie alert!!

I kinda had a pair of K-horns at one time. I'd found one with EV drivers that was very very good, 15WK, T350 and a re-entry midhorn with a big alnico driver. I enjoyed it immensely in mono with a pas2 and a Mark III. Paired it with a minimalist utility K-horn type with absolutely no dress-up cabinetry. Worked OK. That was my introduction to really dynamic speakers. Somebody talked me out of those. Then I turned up a two-woofer Heathkit Legato. It was my van speaker awhile 'til someone helped carry it up the stairs to my flat. I was listening in mono again and didn't care.

It was the '70's. It was San Francisco. It was always spring.

Re 3 channel and Klipsch: I just remember seeing a photo or graphic with a Belle Klipsch as the center channel between two K-horns. An upsell, I guess. That's how deep I got into it.

I too was confused by the Bull comment.

PWK was famous for suffering no fools and happy to call out that which he didn’t agree with and had those buttons printed up, but the Bullshit reference to the three channel configuration confused me since PWK was a proponent of it.

I could see him handing out the buttons at the AES during a presentation by Amar Bose, but not about a mono center.

Widget

Anyone wishing to try out the center-channel idea on their Klipsch system, I have a lovely vintage Short-Horn that would make a nice center channel.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Anyone wishing to try out the center-channel idea on their Klipsch system, I have a lovely vintage Short-Horn that would make a nice center channel.
    What a lovely piece of history. Loved the dates on the tag. Thanks for showing us that speaker.Thus also proving that they used EV speakers for while. Well at least they look like Ev drivers. Is that the EV mark in the woofer cone center?
    How's it sound all these years later?

Quote Originally Posted by jblguy View Post
    What a lovely piece of history. Loved the dates on the tag. Thanks for showing us that speaker.Thus also proving that they used EV speakers for while. Well at least they look like Ev drivers. Is that the EV mark in the woofer cone center?
    How's it sound all these years later?
    It sounds so-so. Everything's working but then I've had a JBL 030 system in my home for over 65-years, so my standards are a bit higher. Tried for some time to find someone who loves Klipsch as much as I love JBL to take this on, including two local Klipsch dealers. We weren't even talking money and they had no interest. I believe these are shots I took through the back but I'm not sure why I can't find a photo of the other horn driver. The EV 15W is the woofer. Can't really remember. Yes, that's the EV logo on the woofer dome. In beautiful condition for their age.

That is a beauty if not the last word in sonic excellence.

Surprising you can't find a Klipsch fan out there especially since they are in such great shape considering their age.
    If you posted it on the Klipsch Forum I bet you'd find a taker.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That is a beauty if not the last word in sonic excellence.

Surprising you can't find a Klipsch fan out there especially since they are in such great shape considering their age.
    If you posted it on the Klipsch Forum I bet you'd find a taker.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did that years ago. 2016, to be exact, after someone there saw my ad for a bunch of stuff on Audiokarma.
    Here's a link with even more pics: https://community.klipsch.com/index....-shorthorn-va/

There were quite a few of them around at that time, including some pairs.

Also listed it on USAudioMart around that same time. I'm not really trying hard but it belongs to a friend who lost his home in foreclosure and I was just trying to help him out by taking in a bunch of his stuff. I sold a Marantz Model 1060 amp and Yamaha CR-2020 for him, both in perfect shape, and gave him 100% of the take. Amazingly the buyer for the Marantz didn't want the matching tuner also in a beautiful wood case and in original boxes. He still needs money and I still have the stuff I saved. That's the long story of the Shorthorn.

What a shame but not surprising to me. Stuff is harder to sell nowadays.
    The NEW generation knows nothing of these early speakers nor do they care. Who's JBL, Altec, Ev etc to them?
    The sad thing is we are a dying breed here really. The world has moved on from the stuff we all love. Unfortunately the great speakers of the past are just not many folks cup of tea. What we consider valuable most folks find objectionable. VERY few folks want the sort of speakers many of us have here. Sad but true. IMO most of us will have a hard time selling or even passing on some of this fine equipment.
    Home audio may not be dead but it sure isn't running many laps down at the track anymore.
    as we've discussed elsewhere here sound bars and HT are what folks want now.
    Not big old wooden antique looking boxes in their modern homes.

Thread Information