Hello, a little while back I posted this thread
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...eater-speakers

I got some great advice, but I just confused myself trying to work with too many drivers. Now I am settled (well….. please do suggest if you’d go with the 2242 or 2245…)

Other than the 18 I’m definitely using two of the 251J midbass drivers, a 435Be beryllium in an H9800 horn and an 045Be beryllium super tweeter.

For music it’ll be just these and for movies I’ll be adding 18” Ultimax woofers. This isn’t super important.

So basically I got all of the drivers and the crossovers from three SK2-3300s. Cabinets are gone and not by me. I’m trying to figure out how to work these drivers together. If I use the stock 3300 crossovers then one of the 10” midbasses would only play up to 150hz. That wouldn’t make sense with the 2242/2245 covering the bottom end.

So, do I go with 12 channels (LCR 4 channels each) of amplification and DSP and run it completely active?

Or do I run the 435Be and 045Be on the passive crossover and run the 2242/2245 and 251Js active? This would give passive protection to the two most expensive drivers in the speaker. One fear I have of going active is a mistake happening and sending full range sound to the 435 and 045. In this scenario I would need 9 channels of amplification and technically 6 of DSP if I just send a full signal to the passive crossovers. I could run the 18s to 200-300hz, the 10s up to 850 hz where the passive crossovers would take over and high pass to the 435 at 850 hz.

Thoughts? Not only looking for suggestions on which 18 you’d go with, but also looking for suggestions on crossover/DSP. For now only looking at the minidsp 2x4HD. What else out there would give good performance without breaking the bank? I have a Dayton DSP-408, but I’d like the lower noise floor. So for now the plan is to pick up 2 or 3 minidsps unless someone has a better suggestion.

Lastly, suggestions on crossover point for the 2242/2245 to the 251Js? Would you go
as high as 300 hz?

Dan