Thread: JBL 2245h QUESTIONS

JBL 2245h QUESTIONS

I've been reading about the 2245H, just trying to learn about them. At some point, I'd like to have a B460 (but might "start" with a B380) to go with our L250s.

I saw this 2245H on ebay. It was described as "JBL 2245h Excellent Unused Condition" and "open box." It does look pretty good, at least to me.

I noticed is that it is missing the label on the back. You can see 2245H stamped in the area the label would normally cover. Why would the label not be there?

In that same area is "030689." What is that? Is that like a serial number that maybe helps date the speaker?

Finally, I see a silver metal ring around the outside (visible in the front, cone picture). I haven't noticed that in pictures of other 2245H speakers. Are the other ones I've seen missing that? Why would this one have it?

Thanks

Name:  2245H3.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  164.8 KBName:  2245H cone.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  120.7 KB

That looks like a fine example of a 2245H. JBL did not always install the foilcal labels on all of their drivers. Drivers like this were designated-HPL, “plain label” and were intended for installation in a JBL enclosure by the factory. They are not uncommon.

The “silver ring” around the rim of the frame is common on JBLs, it is simply the decorative practice of grinding the edge of the cast frame showing the raw aluminum.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That looks like a fine example of a 2245H. JBL did not always install the foilcal labels on all of their drivers. Drivers like this were designated-HPL, “plain label” and were intended for installation in a JBL enclosure by the factory. They are not uncommon.

The “silver ring” around the rim of the frame is common on JBLs, it is simply the decorative practice of grinding the edge of the cast frame showing the raw aluminum.

Widget
    Thanks Widget. I thought it looked good, just wasn't sure about the things I asked about. Makes sense that it was intended to be installed in an enclosure. You have me wondering if there are foilcals on the LE14H-1s in our L250s. My son and I grabbed them a couple of years ago at an estate sales and put them in storage until we could do the surrounds and caps. I'll have to look next time I'm over where they are stored. Hoping to redo them this summer.

FWIW, the 2245H sold for $560 + $50 shpg.

Not bad.

This is in the greater LA area. Tempting, but really no room and unnecessary.

This is for a pair (2 cabinets with 4 drivers) in an interesting arrangement. You just don't see 2245s used like this.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...458620025.html

Looks an awful lot like someone was trying to clone an EAW SB850 but loaded with JBLs rather than RCFs.

I'm not sure it's a JBL cone. It could just be an optical illusion but the cone appears to be too flat, as in not deep enough. And the surround appears to be larger than normal and also sitting higher than the edge of the frame. That looks unusual. Here's a picture from Steve's old thread with some of the different iterations of the cone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

...or maybe not the proper JBL cone?

A few more questions

Looking back at the first picture I posted above:

What is the hole in the middle of the back of the driver?

Does it have a name?

What is it's purpose?

Does the surface rust in the hole mean anything? (in other words, is it a problem, and if so what would you do about it)

Venting hole for driver voice coil cooling.

Richard