Thread: Mystery "Reference Monitors"

Mystery "Reference Monitors"

I doubt anyone will be able to guess the maker of these custom built "Reference Monitors". I never would have been able to guess.

Any guesses?

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not exactly the same but it reminds me of the very tall, multiple drivers infinity system. Don't remember the model but a pic appears in Eargle's Loudspeaker Handbook.
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

No one could make a set of speakers that cool unless they could also make the worlds greatest headphones
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    No one could make a set of speakers that cool unless they could also make the worlds greatest headphones
    Well done! How did you arrive at that?

https://automotive.bose.co.uk/news-s...istening-rooms

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well done! How did you arrive at that?

https://automotive.bose.co.uk/news-s...istening-rooms

Widget
    That was pretty easy. Google Image search. Joey Cirone is trying to cancel the saying, " No highs, no lows...yada, yada, yada."

https://lens.google.com/search?p=ASQ...pUYzFZdz09Il0=

https://automotive.bose.com/news-sto...istening-rooms
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

No on the Google image search. I made the assumption that no self respecting audiophile or audio engineer would have his picture taken in a acoustically treated room with fancy speakers and Bose headphones around his neck unless it was a shill for a company, and since they were Bose headphones...

Btw, I noticed that the speakers were built by Bose engineers for multi-channel listening, but their "Stereo Standard" reference speakers are Genelec, according to the article. Love that a speaker company acknowledges that their speakers are to good sound what McDonald's is to hamburgers.

I also love all their bragging about their pioneering training of "Expert listeners" and dedicated sound rooms, like they're the first to do it - Harman was doing it in the early 90's, I think. Next, I expect Bose to buy Harman's speaker A/B shuffling system when JBL puts it on their open box/clearance web page (I don't think there's anyone left at Harman with a use for it), then claim that Bose just invented it.

Financial disclosure - I survived a few lean winters in the early 90's by selling Bose speakers I had won during Christmas selling season contests out of my apartment for cash. If you were one of those that bought them thinking you were getting great quality sound, I'm sorry, and I'll give you your money back. You're also probably dead, as even back then, Bose buyers were old...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Shucks guys, that's cheating!

I found it interesting that they were as forthcoming with the details of their procedure as they were. Since Bose is not really in the domestic hi-fi market any more, it wasn't surprising that they use Genelec monitors... it was interesting that they allowed their engineers to conjure up DIY line source speakers to use as a reference.

Being run by engineers Bose has departed from their not particularly lucrative home audio roots and today they only make mass market landfill similar to the low-end Harman products. In addition to their crappy home audio products, they make arguably decent headphones, they make decent automotive systems, and surprisingly good pro audio gear primarily for commercial applications and smaller venues.

Unlike Harman who sold their soul to Wall Street, Amar Bose gave his controlling interest of Bose to MIT before he died.

I find the very separate paths that Harman, Klipsch, and Bose have taken to be very interesting case studies.

Widget

Funny as soon I saw those Keele's CBT came to mind!

Rob

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/CBT.php
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

lol... same here... except they weren't "bent"

Thread Information