Thread: JBL Metregon Speaker choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL Metregon Speaker choices

Can someone give some input on speaker configuration for the JBL Metregon? I very close friend has left me his Metregon's, one I get to keep the other has to go to the estate. The first one, system 205 has 275 horns and 130A woofers, which he owned from new, the cabinet is stunning! The second, system S72 has LE85 horns and LE15A woofers, which belonged to his friend, also nice, a little later and satin /matt finish. For a new audiophile (me) will there be any noticeable difference in the sound between the two system, assuming all speakers are working as they should?

Looking forward to hearing experienced advice.

It's worth listening to them for yourself. Which one do you like better?? They are both prized vintage systems. I would go with the 130A system. From maintenance point of view original JBL re-cones are not available and with these systems you want to keep them original so they hold more of their value.

The LE-15 has surrounds that harden with age and most likely need to be replaced now unless they were re-coned. A re-coned speaker will have a foam surround. Even with a foam surround it will need to be replaced at some point. An original would have a Whitish Yellow surround.

The 130A's have a black doped surround and don't need to be replaced. As long as you don't over power them they should last for years to come. They may sound a bit bass shy compared to a more modern system. Just add a subwoofer if you feel the need. Don't add bass boost/EQ as you are asking for trouble if you do. They were designed when bass was 40Hz or so not for modern bass heavy tracks.

Rob

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...alogs/1962.htm
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    It's worth listening to them for yourself. Which one do you like better?? They are both prized vintage systems. I would go with the 130A system. From maintenance point of view original JBL re-cones are not available and with these systems you want to keep them original so they hold more of their value.

The LE-15 has surrounds that harden with age and most likely need to be replaced now unless they were re-coned. A re-coned speaker will have a foam surround. Even with a foam surround it will need to be replaced at some point. An original would have a Whitish Yellow surround.

The 130A's have a black doped surround and don't need to be replaced. As long as you don't over power them they should last for years to come. They may sound a bit bass shy compared to a more modern system. Just add a subwoofer if you feel the need. Don't add bass boost/EQ as you are asking for trouble if you do. They were designed when bass was 40Hz or so not for modern bass heavy tracks.

Rob

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...alogs/1962.htm
    Thanks for your advice Rob! I have not listened to my friends 205 system in a long time, I did turn his McIntosh system on and tried to play something but no luck, he has a pretty complicated set up with two large amps ( didn't want to risk damaging something as i'm new to this and it hasn't been turned on in a year or so) I am going to keep his one though as it is stunningly beautiful! His friends one downstairs, the S72 system did have the woofers repaired a few years ago and does sound wonderful. This one will be going in the estate sale. I will certainly be careful with the bass levels. One note my friend was an Ampex, Teac authorized repairer who's shop was in Hollywood from the early 60's. I have all his test equipment that needs to find a good home, this will also be going in the estate sale along with Ampex 621's, another McIntosh system and a JBL B460 sub.

Try sending a PM to forum member JBL Dog. He hasn't been active here in a while, but he is something of a Metregon expert and may be able to give you some firsthand advice.

The LE85 is the better high frequency driver. If operating properly, the LE15A will likely give better bass. These are opinions based on knowledge of the drivers. I have never listened to a Metregon.

I agree with Rob, if you can give them both a listen, that would be the best answer. Alternatively if you strongly prefer the aesthetics of one system over the other, keep that one. You can always change out the drivers later.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Try sending a PM to forum member JBL Dog. He hasn't been active here in a while, but he is something of a Metregon expert and may be able to give you some firsthand advice.

The LE85 is the better high frequency driver. If operating properly, the LE15A will likely give better bass. These are opinions based on knowledge of the drivers. I have never listened to a Metregon.

I agree with Rob, if you can give them both a listen, that would be the best answer. Alternatively if you strongly prefer the aesthetics of one system over the other, keep that one. You can always change out the drivers later.

Widget
    Thanks for information. Both system are set up with subs I assume to compensate for bass from your comment. I will try to reach out to JBL Dog. Im not familiar with forums, so going through a steep learning curve understanding how to post, etc.

Thread Information