Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4311 WX-A - thinking about buying them

JBL 4311 WX-A - thinking about buying them

The 4311 speakers are on my wishlist for a long time. Today I found a pair and thinking about buying them. The seller said they are in original, untouched condition. The veneer is in very good condition. I made a photo, and this time I am asking you to give your opinion about the condition of the drivers. Thank you, giving info about the drivers, you will help me a lot.

Name:  4311.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  86.7 KB
    Name:  4311top.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  86.5 KB

They look very nice. Are you interested in them because you have always wanted a pair, or did you audition them and you love their sound?

I own a pair of similar vintage L100s which share the components and sound the same. I bought them years ago when I found them in a secondhand stereo shop and felt I needed them. Over the last couple of decades I haven't used them much since even though the sound is fun for a trip down memory lane, it's not really something I want to listen to every day.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool and if I had the room for a proper speaker museum I'd want them too. My L100s are currently on semi-permanent loan to a friend who uses them in his shop. He has a McIntosh amp powering them and they sound fine in that application.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Fun speakers in nice condition.

Suggest not touching the foam around the tweeters... or if you purchase the speakers, consider replacing the foam with available "rings". They almost certainly have become inelastic and would easily crush and turn to dust if disturbed.

Thank you grumpy and Mr. Widget ! Very useful infos. Before I buy them I will make a listening session.

Don't. Save up for something better. Those speakers hurt my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Don't. Save up for something better. Those speakers hurt my ears.
    It's a good thing that not everyone has the same anomaly. History is important in audio...and these speakers are all about the drivers...and the historical value. They still sound great if you know how to listen. Music detail lives in the midrange. Countless records were mixed on these speakers.

This looks like a very nicely maintained example. The foam ring around the tweeter can be replaced/updated with a neoprene piece that won't rot.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Fun speakers in nice condition.

Suggest not touching the foam around the tweeters... or if you purchase the speakers, consider replacing the foam with available "rings". They almost certainly have become inelastic and would easily crush and turn to dust if disturbed.
    Got them, and the sound is nice. Only thing I noticed is a small crease on one of the tweeter's membrane. I can't hear any distortion or difference betweein the tweeters. Tested them with various frequencies 10,11 and 12kHz and plays equal.

Name:  IMG_20220328_162405.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  135.4 KB

Cool... they look beautiful!
    I don't think you need to worry too much about the crease as long as they sound good to you.

Widget

I tested both tweeters using frequencies from 6kHz to 12kHz in 1kHz increaments. Every frequency is present on both tweeters. Above 12000Hz I can't hear anything, but I think this is acceptable at the age of 50+.

I have a chance to buy spare LE25-2 tweeters. Please let me know are these OK units, and why are the cones around dustcups soaked? What caused this?

Name:  le25.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  46.2 KB

Vrobec,

Could this be tweeter Ferrofluid leaking? If so then you have a problem with regards to power handling.

I checked quickly in my JBL documents for LE25-2 and could not confirm if it has or not Ferrofluid.