Thread: Reconing 604

Reconing 604

Hi everybody I need to recone my hpln 604 drivers! I have tried getting in contact with greatplains audio but they haven't answered my mails?What I would like to know is where should I buy a recone kit? are there any recone kits out there you would recommend that are close to the originals?
    Thank you all in advance
    Best Jon

GPA

I appreciate you are located in Europe, but you will probably have better luck if you can call them on the phone. I have twice gotten them on the phone easily to answer a few questions.

I believe they have a policy of not selling re-cone kits directly to customers. They will likely want you to ship your drivers to them for repairs. Good luck getting them repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I appreciate you are located in Europe, but you will probably have better luck if you can call them on the phone. I have twice gotten them on the phone easily to answer a few questions.

I believe they have a policy of not selling re-cone kits directly to customers. They will likely want you to ship your drivers to them for repairs. Good luck getting them repaired.
    Sorry for the late reply have been busy! but Thank you so much, I will try to call them!

should I give up on these

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeye View Post
    Sorry for the late reply have been busy! but Thank you so much, I will try to call them!
    I have a pair of 604 HPLN DRIVERS. I got them pretty cheap... But just talked to someone who has been working with stuff like this! he recommended that I should give up on them due to the price of reconing and add to that a new crossover..because the crossover I bought them with are the N1209-8A...crossing over at 1200hz instead of the more appropriate 1500hz? I have attached an image of the "loudspeaker" See attached they are in good condition, and a friend of mine hooked them up to just test and he was blown away.... but there is a small tear in the wrong direction. Should I keep them, dump them or sell them on to someone who has the skills to fix them? Ihave cabinets and everything ready to finish them up...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi 3rdeye,

The tear and its direction don't bother me that much, its rather the repair that appears to have been made with some type of adhesive, silicone or other. It looks it was spread on the tear/cone with a putty knife or similar.

The big question is are you in a position to remove all that adhesive, without further damage to the cone? This in order to redo the repair in a more acceptable way. The other related question is can you do precision work, slowly to remove that stuff?

A worthy solution to salvage the driver is relatively simple and low-cost, but worth discussing if you can undo correctly the previous repair.

It would be sad to get rid of the 604s when you have all the material ready...

Richard