Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I Knew They Were Something Special

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Also, I just spent a good part of the day listening to a radio show of the American Songbook. Peaked or not, some of the finest recordings made including greats like Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Blossom Dearie, Nat King Cole, and Sinatra were probably made using 604s in a plywood box. They were simple recordings and sound terrific by any measure, even by today's standard. The trouble didn't start until multi-tracking, Dolby, compressors, EQ, overdubbing and a multitude of other crap made its way into the control room.
    No argument from me. There were plenty of great recordings made back in the pre multi-tracking days.

I do have a preference for the time aligned UREI monitors compared to the standard 604s. They are more coherent. Never heard the model Todd has but if it functions equivalently to the UREI crossover, it should be an improvement and equal to the early UREIs that used the 604.
    I think most of us would agree with that... I am not sure if the improvements were with the "time alignment" or the EQ, but regardless, the Ureis were exceptional speakers in their day and still don't suck.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Probably the signiture of the horn that can't be helped except with eq.
    Hi Todd,

Looking at Don’s historical profile of the 604 and the Mastering Lab crossover the problems with the horn were the peakiness.

But the peaking was due to limitations of the original horn profile and the abrupt acoustic impedance termination at the mouth of the horn. What Ed Long did you was to add carefully grades of acoustic foam strategically to the horn that minimised shadowing with the woofer cone while also extension the acoustic length of mouth with the foam moulding. Electrical EQ might have reduced the problem but not removed the cause. I can vouch that your 604’s were more listenable than the stock 604’s and l have heard Rob’s centre channel Urei which some subjectively is a different loudspeaker by comparison.

Had Doug Sax not yet Carolyn invested in his idea the Urei monitors would not exist. At least that’s my impression from that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    No argument from me. There were plenty of great recordings made back in the pre multi-tracking days.

I think most of us would agree with that... I am not sure if the improvements were with the "time alignment" or the EQ, but regardless, the Ureis were exceptional speakers in their day and still don't suck.

Widget

Here you go! After all, this is LA.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...455401131.html

"I Love L.A.!"

"I Love L.A.!"

"I Love UREI!"

(got 2 pairs of 809As ...plus a 3rd pair of spare drivers)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

That's my living room...

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Here you go! After all, this is LA.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...455401131.html
    Those were assembled using cabinets from a pair of 811A that I stumbled across. These are headed to a new analog studio outside of Nashville.

Meanwhile the ferrite 604 8K/801AA duplex drivers have become these floor standing speakers. All of the caps in both sections of the networks were replaced with NOS Soviet era PIO caps and I charge-coupled the HF section. Fresh GPA recones installed by edgewound (I think that's Ken's handle here) They are a fine sounding pair

Name:  273544561_2807965069496268_5771211833351527648_n.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  111.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Thread Information