Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
Also, I just spent a good part of the day listening to a radio show of the American Songbook. Peaked or not, some of the finest recordings made including greats like Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Blossom Dearie, Nat King Cole, and Sinatra were probably made using 604s in a plywood box. They were simple recordings and sound terrific by any measure, even by today's standard. The trouble didn't start until multi-tracking, Dolby, compressors, EQ, overdubbing and a multitude of other crap made its way into the control room.
No argument from me. There were plenty of great recordings made back in the pre multi-tracking days.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
I do have a preference for the time aligned UREI monitors compared to the standard 604s. They are more coherent. Never heard the model Todd has but if it functions equivalently to the UREI crossover, it should be an improvement and equal to the early UREIs that used the 604.
I think most of us would agree with that... I am not sure if the improvements were with the "time alignment" or the EQ, but regardless, the Ureis were exceptional speakers in their day and still don't suck.

Widget