Thread: I Knew They Were Something Special

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I Knew They Were Something Special

When I acquired my Super Reds with the electronic crossover and eq units, I knew they were something special (rare) but could find no information on them. Someone saw them on AudioKarma and rememberd an old magazine article mentioning them. Apparently there were 30-40 of these time aligned electronic "Time Sync" crossovers made for use with the Super Reds. They were made by AudioTechniques.

https://lens.google.com/search?p=ASQ...1URmhPUT09Il0=

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...DB-1982-08.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Dead link

Clip and this is what I got: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...ng-1980-06.pdf
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Great articles! Nice history on the 604! Have to edit it and get it into the Library.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

A fun read. Thanks Todd. Good job saving those from the crusher!! and that you found out more about their place in 604 history (as Rob said ).
    Did seem like there had to be more to these

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Dead link

Clip and this is what I got: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...ng-1980-06.pdf
    Thanks.

My crossover looks nothing like the one AudioTechniques sold and shown on pages 115 and 117.

l recall hearing them at Todd’s.

A great story.

It confirms three things to me.

Listening to the original 604 dual concentric design does drive you crazy as confirmed by Doug Sax. That in those days acclimation was more important to studio users than absolute accuracy. What ever large monitors got in the recording industry back then stayed in due to the need for consistency.

In comparison it’s interesting that multi way loudspeakers were all the fad in the consumer hifi market place from the 1970’s right up the present. Very few brands promoted time aligned loudspeaker in the Ads. Some brands used stepped baffles to align loudspeaker drivers.

I tend to agree that time alignment was/is only discernible on certain kinds of program material.

What we do know is that driver voice coil offset can impact on the smoothness of the frequency response in the vertical domain. If you stand up and listen it will sound tonally different to sitting down. This is due to differences in path distances caused by geometry angles which causes phase cancellation in the crossover region. This also applies to dual concentric loudspeakers.

Time alignment can only be accomplished on axis with dynamic drivers.

My preference is a loudspeaker that is fundamentally accurate with discernible few time alignment flaws over a loudspeaker that compromises absolute accuracy for exact time alignment.

I don’t think any can argue the point on that but this could end up a very long thread.

Bring it on……Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    ...My preference is a loudspeaker that is fundamentally accurate with discernible few time alignment flaws over a loudspeaker that compromises absolute accuracy for exact time alignment...
    Well, that's a broad brushstroke. I'll narrow it down by saying you can't have absolute accuracy without nearly perfect accuracy in the time domain. Maybe that can't be argued with? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

My preference is a loudspeaker that is fundamentally accurate with discernible few time alignment flaws over a loudspeaker that compromises absolute accuracy for exact time alignment.

I don’t think any can argue the point on that but this could end up a very long thread.

Bring it on……Lol.

I agree as well. Time alignment and phase coherence are greatly overrated. Frequency domain is much more important.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

No, but the pursuit of it is.

Thread Information