Thread: How to clean the 2213H suspension?

How to clean the 2213H suspension?

Hello,

I almost came to the conclusion that it's time to try and let the 4311B go, I bought them as a teen and still own since then (which is quite a long time), I gave the grills to a carpenter to be redone (they were quite cheap and prone to break) but both got lost and the suspensions collected dust which make they seem dirty/damaged which is not the case so I'd like to ask for your advise on how to clean them so I can take pictures and put them on sale even tho I doubt anybody will come and pick them up living in a hard to reach place.

Any suggestion is welcome

Grazie

Maybe with a slightly damp rag and a soft and clean tooth brush.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
    Hello,

I almost came to the conclusion that it's time to try and let the 4311B go, I bought them as a teen and still own since then (which is quite a long time), I gave the grills to a carpenter to be redone (they were quite cheap and prone to break) but both got lost and the suspensions collected dust which make they seem dirty/damaged which is not the case so I'd like to ask for your advise on how to clean them so I can take pictures and put them on sale even tho I doubt anybody will come and pick them up living in a hard to reach place.

Any suggestion is welcome

Grazie
    Capri is on the Bucket List. I love Italia.

To clean debris stuck to the surround goop on your 2213H you'll need the following:

A sturdy turntable, such as a wooden Lazy Susan.
    Solvent such as acetone or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). Not sure if it's available to you. I can't get it in California anymore, so I use acetone...in a small squeeze bottle to apply solvent to reflow the goop or jar to dip your paint brush.
    1" bristle paint brush.

Set the woofer face up on the turntable...centered best you can.

Dip brush in solvent or drop from squeeze bottle very carefully to the surround goop, being careful to avoid the white Aquaplas on the cone.

Run the brush over the surround while turning the turntable to reflow/redistribute the goop while trying remove as much debris as possible. When you're satisfied that's it's clean enough to your liking, set the the woofer aside face up overnight to allow the reflowed goop to set. The goop has most likely pooled at the bottom of the surround from gravity, since it never really dries fully. Clean up any excess drippage from the neoprene rubber gasket. Don't use solvent to clean any drips on the baffle...you'll remove the paint. Try a citrus based solvent, like Goof Off for that...or Lemon Oil furniture polish. It'll take some patience and a light touch. The citrus oil will eventually evaporate in a few days. Wipe down the walnut cabinet walls with the lemon oil to clean them. The wood will thank you.

Best of luck. Be patient, go slow, don't hurry through it...and remember to have plenty of ventilation. MEK will make you loopy in the brain if you breathe the fumes for too long.

Prego.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Capri is on the Bucket List. I love Italia.

If you plan to come let me know

To clean debris stuck to the surround goop on your 2213H you'll need the following:

A sturdy turntable, such as a wooden Lazy Susan.

​Would my Gyrodec make it? ;-)

Solvent such as acetone or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). Not sure if it's available to you. I can't get it in California anymore, so I use acetone...in a small squeeze bottle to apply solvent to reflow the goop or jar to dip your paint brush.
    1" bristle paint brush.

Set the woofer face up on the turntable...centered best you can.

Dip brush in solvent or drop from squeeze bottle very carefully to the surround goop, being careful to avoid the white Aquaplas on the cone.

Run the brush over the surround while turning the turntable to reflow/redistribute the goop while trying remove as much debris as possible. When you're satisfied that's it's clean enough to your liking, set the the woofer aside face up overnight to allow the reflowed goop to set. The goop has most likely pooled at the bottom of the surround from gravity, since it never really dries fully. Clean up any excess drippage from the neoprene rubber gasket. Don't use solvent to clean any drips on the baffle...you'll remove the paint. Try a citrus based solvent, like Goof Off for that...or Lemon Oil furniture polish. It'll take some patience and a light touch. The citrus oil will eventually evaporate in a few days. Wipe down the walnut cabinet walls with the lemon oil to clean them. The wood will thank you.
    A while ago I tried to remove the woofers to give a check at the inside, my curious me, but they are firmly in place even after removing screws and not to ruin cabinets didn't try to use a leverage to take them off, I will have to clean them while mounted, maybe at mum's there still is acetone, will have to find out.

Best of luck. Be patient, go slow, don't hurry through it...and remember to have plenty of ventilation. MEK will make you loopy in the brain if you breathe the fumes for too long.

Prego.
    ​Grazie again

Edge, any experience with goopy, pooling Altec woofers? I would guess the same technique might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Edge, any experience with goopy, pooling Altec woofers? I would guess the same technique might work.
    Yes....It's the same stuff.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information