Thread: JBL 4 way Crossover Suggestions-transition 2202H-2390

JBL 4 way Crossover Suggestions-transition 2202H-2390

Hello All,

Been a while since I've posted.... I am in the planning stages of designing a modified 4 way system. I have been using my 4355 clones for about 5 years now and really enjoy them. Basically I need to design a new speaker system that is not wide as in the 4350/55 series but vertical orientation because of space considerations.. I know that the modified 4355 (4451) accomplishes the width issue this but I want more of a V config. That said I also want to integrate a different horn/lens combination. I have always loved the look and sound of the 2309/2310 lens combination. Though I have not used them in a a in house environment, only in small clubs that require a shorter throw speaker. I know that the original 2311/2308 may be the logical choice as it has been tested and used for many years in the 43XX series.. There is some nostalgia coming into play here... NOTE: I will still be using the 2235's, 2202H 2441 and 2405 for the new design.

My question is- Do I need to modify the 2202H/2441-2390-2405 crossover points (I plan on using 1.2k and 9k) and since there are spec differences between the two horn combos will I need to modify the crossover topography to accommodate the 2390 dispersion characteristics ? Sensitivity is almost the same. 2310 vs. 2392 I am basically building a 4533 crossover for this new 4 way.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mike

Hi Mike, no one has answered so here are my thoughts. If you are making the 4355 crossovers which are 1.2Khz and 10Khz points. Check out the polar response on the 2390 horn/lens combination in the library section pro components. You will see this horn has a rising response in the midrange and higher up a quick drop off in output after 15 degrees vertical. It has a tendency to sound a little more up front so to speak. It still is a nice horn but you have to have it at the right height to really enjoy it to itÂ’s fullest extent. It does say it runs 1 db less in sensitivity at 107db. This will help a little with the rising on axis response and some difference can be cut back on the Lpad if needed when I used them. I found 40 years ago the 2397 sounded the best with the 4350/55Â’s for the horns that were available. Good luck and keep posting

+1 regarding the 2397.

I would also seriously consider trading in the pair of 2235Hs for a 2245H in each cabinet.
    In the past when all of these drivers were readily available, economically it was pretty much is straight across trade… Today I don’t know what the availability situation is, but having worked with all of these drivers, that would be my recommendation.

Widget

Mike,

I'd suggest simply using your preferred lens in front of your existing 2311 horn//throat.

That way you won't need to re-engineer the crossover ( which will be nigh impossible to achieve unless you're willing to accept some new polarity flips ).

KISS is the best approach here when one isn't able to design passive crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    KISS is the best approach here when one isn't able to design passive crossovers.
    Great point!

Not sure how the much larger lens would perform on the small mouth of the 2311 horn, that would require some testing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +1 regarding the 2397.

I would also seriously consider trading in the pair of 2235Hs for a 2245H in each cabinet.
    In the past when all of these drivers were readily available, economically it was pretty much is straight across trade… Today I don’t know what the availability situation is, but having worked with all of these drivers, that would be my recommendation.

Widget
    It is a consideration (single 2245H) for a few reasons.. 1. I already have a 2245H I used in a SUB many years ago. 2. It would help reduce the tower I am creating... If I were to go this route, I assume I can still use the same crossover point (290 hz) and as far a sensitivity 93dB vs. 95dB (2245H) any adjustments/issues here? And I hear this in the audiophile world.... will the mass of the large cone be fast enough compared to the 2 x 2235's. I feel that with a crossover point at 290 Hz that this will not be an issue because the smaller 2202 driver will cover the 290- 1.2 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Great point!

Not sure how the much larger lens would perform on the small mouth of the 2311 horn, that would require some testing.

Widget
    Yeah.... I'm beginning to think that the 2309/2310 is too nostalgic on my part but there are better sonic(smoother freq response) options... perhaps I go with the true and tried 2311/2308 combo. I use a 2441/2311/ L94 on my 4355's and I like the sound of the miniature Hartsfield lens. Hmmm.. you got me thinking. Plan on making separate enclosures for the drivers for protyping so I can make changes adjustments etc..

Thread Information