Thread: January 2022 Stereophile

January 2022 Stereophile

For those who know, or don't know, what the January issue of Stereophile is all about.

I'm really suprised that this has no copywrite issues. That's unbelievable!

Again, this is just a regular CD played on an Oppo 95 through a Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver, in CD Direct mode, through the Mermans. There is no digital processing, eq, room correction, room treatment or other being used.

And what are we supposed to be noticing here?

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

What does a video of a DIY system have to do with Stereophile?? Are they discussing the online perveance of videos used by some for evaluation of a system??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Guess you guys just need to read the January issue. Many would not understand the references unless they were familiar with the cut.

But what I was really demonstrating is the presence of the critical midrange and intelligability in Frank's voice that just doesn't come through on the L200/300s where it is much more laid back.

I cross over to the Heil at 2,150 Hz (~C7) so the midrange eminates from the 2251J without crossing over until you are well above the vocal range yielding a more coherent sound/image.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Guess you guys just need to read the January issue.
    I'm tryin' but my search there for Mermans has not given me any results of significance
    https://www.stereophile.com/
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

But what I was really demonstrating is the presence of the critical midrange and intelligability in Frank's voice that just doesn't come through on the L200/300s where it is much more laid back.
    Maybe later I'll have an opportunity to listen through something other than the invisible speakers in my 2012 MacBook Pro!

Gotta love that aspect of the variables in using YouTube as proof of anything.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm tryin' but my search there for Mermans has not given me any results of significance
    https://www.stereophile.com/
    Not a reference to the Merman's, but to the song, Montana, referenced in the magazine article. If one doesn't know the song, they wouldn't get the references. And, not a lot of people listen to Frank, so this provides a point of reference to what is discussed.

"I might be moving to Montana soon"

Actually a lot more than you think at least here in NY. There is a reason Dwezils shows are always packed or sold out. I don't think I have ever missed a Zappa Plays Zappa show here.

What version did you use is that a remix?? My version on CD is an old original where hey combined Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe on a single CD. Comparing to my CD the balance seems off. Is that a recording through a phone??

I do a lot of live show videos and used to have issues where over a certain Db level the phone would roll off the bass and compress things. I ended up purchasing a dedicated video recorder that is made for recording music and sacrifices video quality for audio. My new phone is actually much better in this regard.

What I am hearing is a decided emphasis on the upper vocals that I don't hear on the CD version I have. This both through headphones and speakers. Just sounds to bright but it could also be a different mix.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    "I might be moving to Montana soon"

Actually a lot more than you think at least here in NY. There is a reason Dwezils shows are always packed or sold out. I don't think I have ever missed a Zappa Plays Zappa show here.

What version did you use is that a remix?? My version on CD is an old original where hey combined Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe on a single CD. Comparing to my CD the balance seems off. Is that a recording through a phone??

I do a lot of live show videos and used to have issues where over a certain Db level the phone would roll off the bass and compress things. I ended up purchasing a dedicated video recorder that is made for recording music and sacrifices video quality for audio. My new phone is actually much better in this regard.

What I am hearing is a decided emphasis on the upper vocals that I don't hear on the CD version I have. This both through headphones and speakers. Just sounds to bright but it could also be a different mix.

Rob
    I probably used the same disk that you reference, and it pisses me off that they put Apostrophe before Overnite Sensation as it is my recollection that it came afterwards. (The poodle bi-yites. The poodle chews it.) I do have an original record of Overnite Sensation. I think that there may also be a bit missing from Nanook Rubs It but didn't have the album and this is from memory from others.

All of my recording are using a Nikon D750 camera.

I prefer a bit of emphasis on the upper vocals as it add intelligability and presence giving stuff a more lively and "there" feel. I do have Lpads on both the 2251 and Heil and both are all of the way way up and I think the HF extension was engaged for this recording. Certainly they could be adjusted to your taste. Also, increasing the value of the 8.0 mfd cap on the 2251 increases it's high end roll-off so is very easy to tayor to taste. My tube amp (P/P KT-88s) rolls this off a bit and is a great match for these speakers.

Also, it is possible that you are just used to listening to a more laid back sound, as the L200/300 present, be it right or wrong. But part of the problem of the laid back sound is that some of "slam" and microdetail are lost with it.

And while one typically associates "slam" with bass, that's not always the case and a cut like this becomes visceral when you move enough air.

After listening to a few more disks I decided that it was a bit bright and increased the 8.0 to 10.0 mfd. This did increase the roll-off on the 2251 for less overlap removing "glare/congestion" on lessor quality/more compressed disks.

Not a reference to the Merman's, but to the song, Montana, referenced in the magazine article. If one doesn't know the song, they wouldn't get the references. And, not a lot of people listen to Frank, so this provides a point of reference to what is discussed.
    Even with Dec 21 (1940) as Frank's 81st birthday (Baltimore's finest), My mind was elsewhere and I didn't glom on Frank right away.
    But I go back to Uncle Meat with Frank and do have the individual recordings of Apostrophe (74) and Over-Night Sensation (73).
    You are right, they came out in reverse order of the merged released.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information