hi Richard - thanks for covering all the bases - I was specifically wondering about preventing black glue getting on the aluminum.

I had figured that it would have to be taped, but didn’t want to use the wrong kind of tape -
glad to know that the 3m blue painters tape is not too sticky as to damage the cone. And will pull slowly.

Also, great advice on practicing with the glue/flow on joining a short amount. I was thinking something similar but my way may have wasted a bit more glue.

This again is so helpful - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
RE how to keep the aluminum clean?

Not sure i understand your question correctly. Keeping Alu cap clean because its dirty or preventing black glue on the edge of dustcap?

If its for dirty cap then i assume an Alu cleaner would be what you need, but have none to suggest to you right now.

If its for avoiding black glue on cap then cover its perimeter with masking tape, such as 3M Blue painter's tape, made for easy removal (slowly), contrary to 3M's cheap Tartan brand which is very sticky.

RE but worry it might still put out too much glue. but worry it might still put out too much glue.

I have a number of various size syringes and wouldn't use that here, too much trouble. The applicator from a Simply Speakers black glue plastic bottle should do the job. If you're not comfortable with too much or not enough glue, i suggest you do a short trial run with the glue bottle. Put two small pieces of scrap wood at a right angle and try to fill the joint between them on a short distance to avoid wasting too much (similar to siliconing joints inside a speaker box). This little test should give you an idea about how the glue flows and its actual application for covering the open space on your dustcap.

With a plastic bottle, if need be you can cut off a little of the nozzle with a knife to make a wider glue line.

Richard