Thread: Orientation of Bass Drivers?

Orientation of Bass Drivers?

I heard somebody mention this once about the larger JBL Bass Drivers. So, may I ask, as I assume they were speaking of which direction the two wires on the cone face?

That everybody wants them facing down. Does it hurt if they are not? Just curious?

Also, I think I once read some about rotating drivers 90 degrees every so often. Is there any truth in that?

Thanks, Mark

32 views so far, and not one hit! I must be a Klingon in this forum.

Yeah, I know, it's a stupid freaking question, how about some stupid answers? LOL

In the grand scheme, orienting the wires makes no difference as you discovered when you said it might be prudent to rotate the driver occasionally. I rotate them 180 degrees because I am reversing the effects of gravity on the spider and surround. Even that might be extreme for drivers in every day use.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    In the grand scheme, orienting the wires makes no difference as you discovered when you said it might be prudent to rotate the driver occasionally. I rotate them 180 degrees because I am reversing the effects of gravity on the spider and surround. Even that might be extreme for drivers in every day use.
    Duh, I'm sorry, that's what I meant to say in my original post, rotate 180 degrees. not 90. LOL

The wires on the back of the cone going to the input terminals are called the flex leads or sometimes tinsel leads. What counts with those is that they don't touch each other or anything else. Flipping the woofers annually is to prevent the weight of the cone eventually causing the cone to take a slightly diagonal sag and thus cause the voice voice to no longer be centered in the magnet gap. Not much of an issue with tightly suspended woofers. Some old Altecs seemed to have that problem, but my 604s from the 1970s didn't. I've never seen a JBL do it but then I've never seen a 50 years old woofer that sat in one place undisturbed.

Thank you all for your common sense explanations. I had these same thoughts, but thought I'd garner some other's opinions about such.

Thread Information