Thread: a good read: if allowed here?

a good read: if allowed here?

Here's an old show description just popped up that I found interesting.
    RE/P Files: Clair Brothers At the L.A. Sports Arena With Bruce Springsteen, Circa 1980 - ProSoundWeb

There's a specific passage about using the JBL 2441 with a Tad driver.
    "A Clair Brothers employee in the speaker department noted a strange resonance when testing the new JBL 2441 drivers and discovered that a drop of nail polish placed on the back of the diaphragm damped out the resonance. (JBL has since included such a procedure in its production process.)"

I like Clair Brothers audio. Good old PA/SR company. They have and sell their own systems (new gear). I check from time to time their used gear offerings (clairusedgear.com) where sometimes you'll see interesting stuff. Last time i checked was a week ago. They still had those big S4 cabs for sale.

Moreover, they had as new old stock two great Crest Audio Pro series amps for sale, one of which $1k+. Won't find those anymore. The only issue for many is that they are 220 volt units, not a problem for me and at that voltage it means half the AC current consumption.

Since i'm not in the US buying the amp would end up costing me almost 2k when all in: currency exchange, shipping, Canadian taxes on US purchase since its new (would not apply on used), sniff. So i passed...

I like Clair Bros as well. I have followed them for decades. I always found it interesting that they used JBL high freq drivers with EV horns in their S4 cabs.

Gotta be a reason for this: EV horn better suits the design? On the other hand they're independent and use what they see fit.

Seen them in the past selling not only used JBL, but also RCF, 18 Sound, think Faital Pro too, etc. Currently selling an EV ND6 compression driver for example.

They use different things, not limited to one brand. But in recent times their used gear stock for sale has been lower, specially for drivers and smaller box systems (e.g. JBL AC 28, sold out).

Clair S4 wasn't made with off the shelf JBL parts. It's been discussed here before. Clair very carefully used a mix of surrounds, formers spiders, ect... and it worked. Good job, people, the S4 was awesome.

Thread Information