Thread: Repairing LE25

Repairing LE25

Hello everyone I just joined, though I've been reading your lovely forum for quite some time. I recently was finally able to get a pair of JBL L100 century speakers from their original owner. I've been looking for a pair for a long while but was never ever able to find any with cabinets in the condition I wanted until now. Everything about the speakers was great except the original foam grills were long since deteriorated and the original owner replaced them with grill cloth, it looks nice but its just plain black. So I have ordered some replacement quadrex ones in blue. The foam around the tweeters was long since crumbled away so I got some replacements for those as well. However on one of the tweeters when I was trying to remove the old plastic film the original foam was attached to I accidently broke the VC wire on one side. I have some copper wires in the same gauge, can I just splice a new wire in? or am I screwed and have to rebuild the whole thing? I have a picture of it but I don't think I have permission to post photos I think.

Thank you,
    -Jess

If there is some voice coil wire still available to solder to, it's pretty easy to fix. You're just making continuity through the coil, if you have that it will work again. You probably have to scrape the wire to remove the insulating enamel layer, so the solder will stick.

Thank you Don C! I knew I could just solder in a new wire, but I wasn't sure if that was considered an acceptable way to repair a broken VC wire. If I'm not able to reliably solder in a new wire (they're terribly tiny) I noticed PMR recently released some really nice looking recone kits for the LE25 that matches the factory color. I could just get one of those, or two.

Thanks again Don!

Update!

I managed to solder in a new wire and it seems to be working. Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Information