Thread: Musicians get serious about not getting screwed anymore.

Musicians get serious about not getting screwed anymore.

Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Good! I don't stream music I purchase it via digital downloads or CD's if available. It's not right what they are doing not giving the artists adequate compensation.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Good! I don't stream music I purchase it via digital downloads or CD's if available. It's not right what they are doing not giving the artists adequate compensation.
    Whenever possible, I try to purchase physical media directly from the artists' websites. Some make that possible while others link to Amazon or Apple.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Why?

Why not buy vinyl? It's a safe value for some generations after you if you care. A safe value for the musician.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Why not buy vinyl?
    Several decades ago I got tired of preening discs for several minutes, and cleaning styli—all for maybe 20-minutes of listening pleasure. CDs arrived and I preferred the ease of operation. Now I appreciate extended response and fidelity without the compression necessary in the RIAA process. I've heard all the arguments and still think the only reason people prefer the sound of LPs is because of the muted HF. I can always unplug a UHF driver and accomplish the same thing.

I still own four B&O turntables and one of those new (cheap!) TEACs in turquoise Don't even remember what happened to my hateful Thorens with the awful cueing lever. Tons of old LPs to listen too, if I feel like it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Agreed. I like listening to vinyl for the experience. It's fun to hang with friends and each select a record to play. Still a PITA to clean each side and the stylus but with company it just adds to the experience.

In all of my serious listening tests, I've always preferred the CD to the vinyl pressing.

Sorry to stay off topic

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Several decades ago I got tired of preening discs for several minutes, and cleaning styli—all for maybe 20-minutes of listening pleasure.
    Agreed... and I can't be bothered fiddling around with silver discs either. Using Roon to call up tunes from my NAS or hi rez streaming is just too darned convenient and I discern no difference in sound quality between these sources and spinning a disc when it is the same file being compared.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I've heard all the arguments and still think the only reason people prefer the sound of LPs is because of the muted HF. I can always unplug a UHF driver and accomplish the same thing.
    I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that vinyl records sound rolled off compared to digital files or discs. I am sure there are examples of different mixes where the digital file is brighter, but with a good cartridge and phono section, the highs are not the problem... now on the bottom end, there are very real capability differences. Vinyl and even analog tape masters can not match digital audio's ability to reproduce VLF content.

I certainly agree that there are lots of problems with vinyl playback. There is surface noise, cueing up a particular track, warped records, etc. I have to say though that sound quality is not generally one of the issues I have run into. I also do not maintain that digital is universally superior or inferior to analog/vinyl. There were some pretty poor transfers from analog masters to CDs in the early days of digital, but otherwise it's the mastering of every disc or file that has the greatest impact on sound quality.

Widget

Returning to the original topic, I am stunned that an industry that created Muzak to avoid paying royalties in elevators and department stores somehow let streaming become so out of control.

I think the crazy money that many "Rock Stars" made back in the day was probably overkill, but seeing musicians receive beer money each month from the streaming services is simply terribly wrong.

Widget

I'm always happy to see the Musicians get a bigger piece of the pie, but I just hope that this doesn't go the Uber route. For example:

Taxi rides are prohibitively expensive due to out of control fees and regulation.
    Uber comes along and creates a system where people can actually get cheap rides.
    Uber becomes super popular - because it's cheap.
    People freak out that Uber drivers aren't being paid enough.
    Fees and Regulation roll in.
    Back to square one.

Similarly:

Physical media is/was expensive. No one wants to pay $20-40 for an entire album just for 1-3 good songs.
    Internet comes along and people get their music for free instead (Napster, etc).
    Industry adapts and creates low-cost streaming solutions that get millions of people paying for music again.
    Musicians want a bigger part of the pie, and the recording industry isn't giving up their slice.
    Prices go up.
    Back to square one.

Tidal payd more than iTunes and last one payd more than Spotify, to artists.
    That's why I listen Tidal. No need to mention best quality of Tidal, and unbearable mumbling of Spotify.

What I miss in digital is 2 things:
    - Availability to purchase my favorites in HiRes. Just name the price!
    - The visual part (in physical way) came together with LP and/or CD. That's weird but here is the reason I have to have a good big TV while I listen - the artwork of album.
    (and here comes the need for the amp with HDMI - and for some F weird reason producers absolutely do not understand that... ).
    Thats weird, too, but here is enormous possibility to artists, though. Possibility visualize their journey to certain album with so much of artworks as they want. Don't want, don't look. Just listen.

From first day iTunes was available to me: had to make a account in US despite I live in the other side of the world, fake-lived in 'NYC hotel' and gifted to myself - stuped world, and I buy every bite for real money...
    When iTunes was available in my country I ...... buy everything twice!
    I started to use iTunes from first day and now I do not remember last time, when I used AppleMusic. I'm so sorry, Steve, RIP
    (btw, Jobs was audiophile with quite a collection of LPs)!

Think the way You want, but I come from small place at the planet, and it was my lucky day when all the music of the world was suddenly available to me. For money.
    Next lucky day was when 128 (sic!) was turned to 256... it was last century IMHO

Absolutely do not understand what that Tim Cock is thinking. Instead of turn everything to lossless, build up a server park and pay to artists, just insane money just lay on account just like that ...

Streaming Sucks

One of my favorites is down in Tidal (bitrate higher than CD)
    No link where to burst the anger too - I still pay my monthly-fee!
    And that album is down at Band's site as well.

Exist nicely still (!?) in Apple Music. There is bass boomy and highs screamy. But therefore mids are muddy!

One day we have to withstand with epic magnet explosion (shit happens) and then we sit like grilled rabbits in front of our masterpieces-speakers and listen to ... silencio.

Listeners get serious about not getting screwed anymore, too!

I'm what, have to go back to Apple Music now, to build up all my playlists I did in TIDAL last years? Because TIDAL doesnt allow to listen current content anymore. No comments, was it artists goal, some 'case' ...
    (TIDAL screws like that not for the first time).

Apple at least allows to buy.
    ! with quality sofly saying questionable anno 2021
    (and checked, they have same content still there Tidal hasn't)
    Just pray, this T.Cock someday turns all at least lossless ... (hiRes is probably too much to expect. From him)

What's wrong with this world? Free world does not want to be free!?

Articts at least want to create and make themselves listenable - never in civilization wasnt possibility to say something to whole world within 1 second.
    And Music Sites want to make money.
    Putting these two together I do not get this stupid math (actually: no-math) !?
    The barriers. The no-accept acceptable money!?

The regions???
    If I want to watch some British serial, I cannot because I'm not british!?
    If I want to read Hemingway, I CAN do this!?
    Only law I see is money. Is it brick, burger, song or painting - I pay for that and deal done. No matter what colour, gender, political view I have. When I purchased it, its mine.
    If I buy Vinyl, its OK. If I buy digital , it's anal-stomatology.
    For some reasons - with media is different !?!?

And the streaming shit.
    If some new-era artist freaks out and is currently thinking he makes a 180 degrees in he's life (changes gender for ex) and what he previously did wants to vanish: Then streaming company takes it off!
    Or ... occures some 'law details' of this person. But law changes. But I may lost my favorite album!

Creation in the world is full of maniacs! By default, creators are insane by roots already. A 'very normal' doesn't create anything. And here is the thing!
    If I order house from architech and he does as well a 180 degrees in he's head - then because he's claim, the 'Authorities' come with Caterpillar and get down my house, or what!?

It's a softy pussy No-Responsibility era. Takeing-back-era.
    If You F created this (brick, burger, song or painting) and sold it, then it's done. Live with that. And decision owns the new owner to keep it or not.

IT'S SIMPLE AS THAT. AND THERE IT LANDS AFTER ... NOBODY KNOWS WHEN.
    Until then, fat old idiots with ties, consult with each other...

I grew up in system where Authorities ruled every step of your life.
    Its discusting to look around how world is rushing into same chaos right now, specailly EU, where you have no rights to decide what you like, or listen.
    When Sir David Branson started his business, he smuggled cool music from France to England - and got punished. Of cause peed on that and went ahead and we got Virgin! And he got title *Sir* because what he made in lifetime!
    Virgin's first client - instant success - was Mike Oldfield. Who was told to take a hike everywhere else but Virgin...
    #Orwell1984
    #LordOfTheFlies

Virgin Records

When Sir David Branson started his business, he smuggled cool music from France to England - and got punished. Of cause peed on that and went ahead and we got Virgin! And he got title *Sir* because what he made in lifetime!
    Virgin's first client - instant success - was Mike Oldfield. Who was told to take a hike everywhere else but Virgin...
    #Orwell1984
    #LordOfTheFlies
    [/QUOTE]

Correct: Richard Branson in 1970
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Of cause, RICHARD ! Thnx Fritz The Cat.
    just was watching yesterday where one David builds up he's own label...

PS: I have list of people, great names for me, the large format pictures (digital of cause, some of pics, like Thor Heyerdahl, I was buy from family permission holders) , to print out 2x3m canvas - TO MAKE SOUND DUMPING SHEETS for my room walls.
    This RICHARD is one of them

Heavy barriers and overregulations feed chaos. Not order!

Grow up in Soviet Union and know how *well it works*, how shit it ends.
    I know what does it feel to run away from police because you have Music with You what is not allowed in this region.

Music, not allowed in this region!? Doesnt it sound familiar also today, *in the FREE world* !?

Thread Information