Thread: A little help with a potential project please

A little help with a potential project please

Greetings all,

my question is not directly related to JBL, but the forum appears to have rather level-headed members, so, I though that I'd asked anyway. If my questions are unreasonable or too much off-interest, please feel free to cheerfully ignore it.

In exchange for some of my efforts, my friend offered to build me a pair of horns. I had always lusted after TAD 4003 horn, but I could not find any drawings. I even corresponded with Mr. Widget, regretfully, he was unable to help. Thus, I am contemplating Yuichi Arai horns, which would be a great option, especially if I could weasel TAD drivers from my friend.

The first question is, if my weaseling efforts are unsuccessful, what, if any driver could be used on that horn?

The second one, is there a driver that could be used to meet the horn in a two-way system? I listen mostly to classical, so I would say that 35-40 Hz at the low end of the frequency range would be sufficient. Regarding the woofer, during years I had acquired several of them - JBL2226, Altec-515B, TD-15M, and was wondering, if any of them would be suitable, or better to say, optimal. Alternatively, I could sell them to generate the money for the optimal one.

Kindest regards,

M

I assume you are looking at the A290 horns. This is a classic 2" throat design and will work best with a TAD TD-4001/2, or a vintage 2" JBL compression driver. Since none of these are available new at this point it is buyer be ware. You can get TruExtent Be diaphragms for the JBLs, but they don't extend as high in frequency as the TADs. That's a tough one.

I have never heard the A290s, but it seems to have quite a following and should be quite nice.

For the woofer, my current favorite is hands down the 2216Nd. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Widget

Dear Mr. Widget,

thank you for a reply. I understand the problem with the availability, but JBL 375/2440 bodies are available, and, yes, I though about the Be diaphragm. However, I had also wondered, whether a modern 1.4/1.5 inch driver with a proper adapter, which is not a problem with today's 3D printing, would not work. I also have Altec 288 that I could try. I had heard the A290, and to me it sounded wonderful.

I had read a lot about the 2216Nd, but as I understand it, there are no TS parameters available, and even if they were, I could never design a cabinet. What I am so in-artfully saying, is that I would prefer an already designed and proven one. I am a reasonably good woodworker, and some of may friends are professionals, so manufacturing would not be a problem, as would not be the measurements for integration, and design of the filters for cross-over.

Kindest regards,

M

Thus fellow is making some very nice horns. It looks like he has one intended for the TD 4003.https://josephcrowe.com/collections/...dial-wood-horn

https://josephcrowe.com/collections/...s-290-biradial

You don't have to go all the way back to a 2440 era driver to get a 2" driver, a 2450 (not the 1.5" 2450SL, that's a different animal) should still be available for decent money. More modern phase plug and a lot lighter to boot. If going 2 way, slap some D16R2451SL diaphragms in there for a fraction of what a Be phragm would cost.

2216Nd TS parameters are documented, it's the 2216Nd-1 that's hard to find full info on

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...p?33565-2216Nd

I'n not clear from your post what you're trying to narrow down to but JBL 2226 woofers and 2445 compression drivers are widely available on eBay and various pro audio used gear sites. Once the live sound world discovered that high output drivers didn't need to weigh 40 pounds a lot of ceramic magnet drivers went on the back shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
    The first question is, if my weaseling efforts are unsuccessful, what, if any driver could be used on that horn?

The second one, is there a driver that could be used to meet the horn in a two-way system? ...
    M

Hi rusty jefferson,

I am aware of Joseph's web site, but as per my OP, the horn is not the problem, the selection of an appropriate driver is.

Hi JeffW,

thank you for the alternative drivers recommendation. Is there any other source than e-bay where I should look?

Regarding the 2216Nd, thank you for correcting my (mis)understanding, nevertheless, as I indicated I am not able to design a cabinet. I tried once - measured the TS parameters, compared them to the published ones (they actually agreed within about 3%), designed and built the cabinet, but the measurement was nothing what the program predicted.

Hi Riley Casey,

it is entirely possible that my English fails me, but I would argue that ". . . during years I had acquired several of them - JBL2226, Altec-515B, TD-15M, . . ." means that I have the drivers. Thus, I was wondering whether any of them would be suitable.

Kindest regards,

M

You might try a wanted ad here, I bought mine off eBay.

Hi JeffW,

thank you. I will be visiting with my friend probably next week, listen to his system , and we'll make a decision.

In a meanwhile, I will look for cabinet designs with 2216Nd.

Kindest regards,

M

Hi JeffW,

In a meanwhile, I will look for cabinet designs with 2216Nd.

M
    The only two JBL designs you will find for the 2216nd woofer are:

1) (synthesis) S4700 - about 130 liters and port tuning of about 32-ish Hz. Passive Crossover for LF section is published and GT has some DSP settings to augment the Passive.

2) (Reference Monitor) M2 - about 145ish liters with a port using of about 27-ish Hz. This is fully DSP'ed system and the settings are also published.

Have a look at the cabinet schematics to get some good ideas on bracing.

Good luck and the 2216nd is an excellent choice (crossed over at about 800Hz or less).
    -Tom

Hi Tom,

thank you for your reply. i will find the designs.

Kindest regards,

M

Whoops, my wrong take on your past tense

Hi Riley Casey,

it is entirely possible that my English fails me, but I would argue that ". . . during years I had acquired several of them - JBL2226, Altec-515B, TD-15M, . . ." means that I have the drivers. Thus, I was wondering whether any of them would be suitable.

Kindest regards,

M

Hi Riley Casey,

no worries.

Kindest regards,

M

Thread Information