Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL 4343's - Woo Hoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VinylGroove View Post
    Sound Anchors looks like an interesting design that could be fairly easily done DIY, if you weren't after the veneer to match your set. Matching that would be very difficult if they didn't have the speakers with them, especialy when you consider aging/fade and variations in oil or wood treatment over the years.

Kenrick does amazing work that I admire often, but you could easily have a woodworking shop create walnut stands like those they make for a fraction of the cost.

I did get a quote from Deer Creek Audio for those steel stands and discovered how well they're made and they are injection filled with some kind of sand/polymer which I didn't realize. For 4343 stands with no tilt and 8.5" high they quoted me $835. I was hoping for less, but didn't realize the quality of thick steel, welding, filling and powder coating. These are exceptionally well made.
    The Kenrick Stands are around that same cost as I inquired once. Plus I don't know-remember if their cost included shipping? I'm sure that would be an extra huge "ouch" if not.

Sound Anchor Stands I believe are also filled with a proprietary material as well.

congrats

Great thread! Congrats on the 4343s! I've never heard any of the large format 43XX series but I'd like to someday.

jblnut

I've seen this guy from Idaho post quite a few crossovers to ebay with a lot of great feedback. Thoughts on these for the 4343?
    I was going to build some of my own, with information I've read on this site but other projects are going to prevent that from happening for quite a while.

JBL 4343 crossover upgrade - NEW (EACH) - read below (CROSSOVERS ONLY) | eBay

Name:  4343crossover.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  142.6 KB

I don’t see any mention of keeping/deleting the Bi-amp option switch, so you might ask before buying.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I don’t see any mention of keeping/deleting the Bi-amp option switch, so you might ask before buying.
    Great point, I didn't think of that. I emailed him a few hours ago and no response but will post if I get one.

4343 stands

To test a few heights try making a square box of 4 pieces of 2x4, 2x6 and even 2x8 for trial of height. Higher than that you would likely need a top surface not just perimeter support of your speaker cabinet. You can put a wedge in each internal corner to allow joining of the 4 sides. I like the front about 1/2 inch recessed from the front to back width of the speaker cabinet. You can just paint them flat back if you want. My home built 4343 cabinets are two piece and don't meet the JBL front baffle requirements but fit outboard of my projector screen. If painted 2x4s are not nice enough you can get some really nice walnut veneer to easily cover the visible exterior of the height you prefer audibly. I just sit the speaker with box on the floor using 4 of the furniture sliders under the base you build. There are not a lot of veneer sales places in the whole US but try Homecraft Veneer in Latrobe, PA. He has great stuff. He does have a site on line. I have been dealing with him for about 50 years and he is great to work with. With a photo of your speakers that shows color and grain he might have a suggestion as to which walnut he has that would give you a nice match. I built all my JBL cabinetry using high density particle board with his walnut veneer as covering. Not difficult and a lot cheaper to ship than drivers already in a cabinet!
    As for crossovers, I think I had him make mine. Mine include a simple way to rewire for biamp with two separate amps or for biwire if you are into that. Mine do not look exactly like the ones you posted but that was because I had some size restrictions.

Thread Information