Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL, 2225H can it be used in a hifi speaker setup?

JBL, 2225H can it be used in a hifi speaker setup?

Hello,

I have possibility to buy a set of used JBL, 2225H woofers, and i always wanted to build a pair of nice JBL Studio monitor like DIY speakers for hifi.
    Do you think the JBL, 2225H can be used for this, will it sound good in a hifi setup, that reason i ask is that i think this woofer are designed for more concert use than hifi, but what is your take on this, and if not good, what specs shall i look for in a good woofer for hifi?

Thanks
    Martin
    Denmark

Will the 2225H work? Yes. Is it a first choice? No.
    The 2235H is much better and is what JBL used in their 80s and 90s studio monitors.

If you can get them and the price is acceptable, I strongly urge you to look at the 2216ND. This is the current JBL studio monitor woofer and is lightyears ahead of all that preceded it.

Widget

Yes, no, maybe. The general consensus is that the 2225s are not suitable for studio monitor use as their Fs is 40 hz and not as good a low frequency performer as say a 2235 driver. That said if you are really aiming at using your speakers for home stereo playback at home listening levels AND you are willing to employ some step down equalization then the 225s can easily be tuned to be perfectly good low frequency components in a custom designed enclosure. I listen to 2226s as my low frequency drivers every day. I don't have a need for output down to 30hz but with a well tuned enclosure and some DSP I get good response to 35 hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Yes, no, maybe. The general consensus is that the 2225s are not suitable for studio monitor use as their Fs is 40 hz and not as good a low frequency performer as say a 2235 driver. That said if you are really aiming at using your speakers for home stereo playback at home listening levels AND you are willing to employ some step down equalization then the 225s can easily be tuned to be perfectly good low frequency components in a custom designed enclosure. I listen to 2226s as my low frequency drivers every day. I don't have a need for output down to 30hz but with a well tuned enclosure and some DSP I get good response to 35 hz.
    My opinion is that we often don't take in account the listening room. My experience is this: I have two speakers similar to the 4344 equipped with two 2215 woofers, the past year I blown one woofer due to amplifier fault, so I installed two 2226J I had waiting for another project, in my listening room the difference is not that big. So the question is, are you sure that your room allow to go down, let's say at 30 HZ? Using REW I discover interesting things about rooms response.
    In this case I can say that is possible to use a 2225/6 for hifi use.
    Giuliano

Quote Originally Posted by ompdiburi View Post
    My opinion is that we often don't take in account the listening room.
    Good point on the room and also what music you listen to.

Most chamber music and 50-70s rock have very little bass below 40Hz. I listen to a much wider variety of music than that so I find a response not getting to 30Hz disappointing. If you are into organ music or modern electronic music you will want even deeper bass extension.

Back to the rooms: Smaller rooms will typically reinforce the low end more than larger rooms, and then there are losses related to windows, doors, and construction techniques... so yes, the room will play a big roll here.

On the topic of which woofer to choose, this depends on budget, availability, and how picky you are. In the line up of JBL 15" woofers, I have owned and used 2215s (LE15As), K130s, 2220s, 2225s, 2235Hs, 1500ALs, 1501ALs, and numerous non-JBLs and woofers of other sizes. I have used all of these woofers in two channel home music systems.

They all have their purpose. The 2225H is not a bad woofer at all and doesn't need to be limited solely to concert duty, same with the 2226H. That said, neither would be my first choice for high quality music playback in the home.

Widget

... and the 2225 is one of several readily available JBL drivers that can be reconed as a 2234H or 2235H

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... and the 2225 is one of several readily available JBL drivers that can be reconed as a 2234H or 2235H
    I purposely failed to mention that since factory kits are NLA, but it is a good point.

Widget

Indeed... seems like they’ve gone NLA, then back to A at least once already.
    perhaps those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I purposely failed to mention that since factory kits are NLA, but it is a good point.

Widget

Hi Martin,

The 2225H is a sound reinforcement driver replacing the 2205H.

In sound reinforcement efficiency (a large contributor to max output SPL) is more important than linearity.

The mid band efficiency of such drivers is often increased at the expense of VLF capability, which explains why many of these drivers will have more difficulty in reproducing the last bottom octave.

Nothing wrong with those woofers its simply that they were optimized for a specific application (SR).

2225H has 3.5% efficiency with 97 db sensitivity and the same numbers for 2235H are 1.3% with 93 db.

In SR terms the 2225 would make as much "noise" as the 2235 while using about half the power (0.4). Or for the same power the 2225 would produce 4 db more output (not necessarily at VLF).

Then you decide if VLF reproduction and linearity are more important to you than gross output (SPL).

Richard

If you've been listening to the 2225, the 2235 will suck the life out of your vocals.

I've never been happy with the 2205s reconed as 2235s with factory kits in my system.

BTW, when they were reconed, they were remagged (AlNiCo). I was dissatisfied.

Grumpy came over and we ran WT-2 and the BL was a just bit low from factory spec. All other specs were now similar to the 2235 specs. I had them remagged again, no charge, and the BL came up to a bit higher than factory spec. Still sounded the same though.

I prefer the 2241H.

Quote Originally Posted by mtolesen View Post
    Hello,

I have possibility to buy a set of used JBL, 2225H woofers, and i always wanted to build a pair of nice JBL Studio monitor like DIY speakers for hifi.
    Do you think the JBL, 2225H can be used for this, will it sound good in a hifi setup,
    If you're planning to use discrete amplification and active EQ, I say yes, by all means.
    Like others mentioned, the 2225 will have less low frequency extension than a 2235, but that does not mean it will drop like a rock below 40Hz, with some EQ and the right enclosure it will definitely go there.... at the expense of output power, but we're talking about home use right?
    Can it be used as a drop-in replacement in the same enclosure with the same crossover and EQ, no, it will have less LF output and higher midrange than the 2235.

I used a 2044 instead of a 2245 in a 4345 sized enclosure, and with some adjustments they are _very_ satisfying.
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Quote Originally Posted by mtolesen View Post
    Hello,I have possibility to buy a set of used JBL, 2225H woofers, and i always wanted to build a pair of nice JBL Studio monitor like DIY speakers for hifi.ThanksMartinDenmark
    So did you ever get your 2225H in the hi-fi setup?

I'm in between systems right now and running a 3-way with two 2225H per side, well not really 2225 but D140F's that I traded for some Gauss that I had in the 80's. I had them reconed to 2225Hs in 84. Using them in cabs that I built at the same time, 8 cu ft similar to JBl cinema stuff of the time. I have the bottom 15 running as a helper falling off at 80hz 12db/octave LR filter. All active using DBX Venu 360s. Above those are M2 wave guides w/2450SL w/beryllium diaphragms and 2405's above those. Quite adequate for 95% of rock music and more. I have subwoofers for movies. They can kick some serious ass!

Cabs are crappy but well braced tuned to ~38Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    They can kick some serious ass!
    I bet!

Thanks for sharing... always fun to see what everyone is up to.

Widget

Thread Information