Thread: 4350 Amps

4350 Amps

Hello, For my 4350's I currently have Brystons 28bb2's on the bottom and Prima Luna dialogue seven's monos for the rest. Was thinking of changing the tubes for SS. Pros and cons for changing? Brand and size options. I have no problem's but was seeing what was done already. Also have 2397's on top with 2440's &,2405's on separate Prima Luna amp. If this has been discussed already would like the link. Thanks

I think you're already past the "this is objectively better" level, and well into the "I like this better than that" level. I will wait for Widget to chime in, as he has more expertise than I on higher end amps (I am bi-amping my Array1400's off 4 channels of a Bryston 9Bsst, and have Prima Luna in another room. From what others have said, you might consider either of Nelson Pass' brands, Pass Labs, or First Watt, for low power, class A SS amps that work really well on the top end.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Hi Ken, I do not know what your budget is and size amp you are looking for. A company called Coda makes some nice stuff and has great amps. coda-continuum.com. From some of the engineers and designers from the Threshold days. Check out the S-5.5 and the bigger 15.5. Also have a 10 yr warranty

When I had my 4355 clones I used a pair of Hafler 9505s, one for the twin 2235Hs and one for the top...I was using my clone of a Westlake version of the 2397 and used the 2202A so my top end was very similar to yours. I felt these amps seemed like a good match.

I’m sure there are plenty of other good choices out there too.

Widget

after trying dozens and dozens of amps I think the jbl sound good with amplifications that do not double the power to decrease the load, so pure class A or output transformers.
    if necessary you can easily bi-amplify.after trying dozens and dozens of amps I think the jbls sound good with amplifications that do not double the power to decrease the load, so pure class A or output transformers.
    if necessary you can easily bi-amplify.

Hi KTG,

I owned 4350A on 2 occasions. Like many I thought the optimal setup would be to drive the top with tubes and bottom with SS. But somehow this setup does not allow me to crank it up, the sound always sounded wrong (at least based on my experience).

My best experience is to biamp with identical amps, vertically. That means an amp for Channel 1 the highs and lows, and another amp for channel 2 highs and lows. I get the most coherent sound from the 4350s , meaning the highs and lows seemed to integrate seamless into a whole.

Try Roy it and let us know.

I think using the same brand of amp and model supports the same amplifier character which came deliver a more uniform presentation.

My current amp is the Parasound 160+160 model. It’s more neutral than my previous Passlabs X250.5 and delivers what’s in the vinyl grooves better than any amplifier l have used previously.

The problem to my mind is that so called hi end amplifiers often have a house sound to signify or differentiate the brand from another. These boutique brands wax the audiophile ears with what they want to hear “after” they read the Stereophile review praising how nice it sounded.

With loudspeakers as accurate as the JBL monitor it makes sense deploy and accurate amplifier ad opposed to a load of 2nd harmonic “sugar” coated sound.

Thread Information