Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted: 240Ti vs L-150A

My recollection was flawed about when we couldn't get the 240ti to perform as expected in the fabled Mid-Atlantic Speaker Shoot-Out years ago. We started with them on short stands and then setting them up on dining chairs. According to the just-after commentary, they actually produced improved bass when being compared to the L7, when we put them on the floor. Obviously boundary reinforcement is important depending on your listening environment; you may get too much, or you may need more. Placement seemed critical for the 240ti according to the golden-ears in this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post226570

That link was my posted summation of the day. There are many others throughout that thread that discuss the 240ti you may find interesting. Grab a beer and enjoy the whole thread!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks, BMWCCA, will have a read . I'm near Oslo, macaroonie. (Had a look at Adyton power amps; used from €4K and up. Some interesting pre/RIIA too, but not much info to be found.)

Picked up the 240s today, and have only played a few albums, yet enough to have a nice warm feeling inside and a big smile on my face .

Authority, finesse, resolution, depth... power. Can't really play loud yet, but power/sensitivity seems no problem. What they deliver on lower volumes levels is just right, and some of what I've been missing, perhaps.

Well see about stands or platform, for the moment they sit on boxes bringing tweeters to ear height, some distance out from walls both rear and sides. Quite pleasing so far, I'll leave them there for a while. And the veneer looks even better than the pics in the ad, so I'm happy about that too .

Delicious. Enjoy and have fun with you favourite music. It's not a contest it's for enjoyment.

Thanks, macaroonie . Don't think I could even enter any competition of that kind. Not that I need to anyway, it seems I have ample power resources - I can play much louder than wanted or needed.

So, after a few days of playing different music, I'm more than happy with my choice. Radka Toneff & Steve Dobrogosz Fairytales, one female voice and grand piano has never sounded so real, so rich in insight in the instrument and so close to the performer in my house.

For me they are a huge leap closer to stage or closer to the studio room, and music has gained both dimension and neuance. And more. It's easy to go on, but most of you know what a big, vintage woofer can do. On the other realism side, they are vintage so I'm trying to evaluate if the tweeters need a new damping foam plug. As far as I understand, the difference in a working or powderized/shrunk foam damper is subtle, so it may be hard to determine by ear. But to start with, I'd rather listen to positives than search for errors.

Tweeters out? (sellers pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Congrats! I'm entering the world of vintage JBL too!

Thanks, Henri, and good luck ! It seems you'll be ready to party soon . Look forward to hearing your impression of the 250's!

I sure do like those woofers. They are very tuneful and don't shy away from a little added gain once in a while.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
    Thanks, macaroonie . Don't think I could even enter any competition of that kind. Not that I need to anyway, it seems I have ample power resources - I can play much louder than wanted or needed.

So, after a few days of playing different music, I'm more than happy with my choice. Radka Toneff & Steve Dobrogosz Fairytales, one female voice and grand piano has never sounded so real, so rich in insight in the instrument and so close to the performer in my house.

For me they are a huge leap closer to stage or closer to the studio room, and music has gained both dimension and neuance. And more. It's easy to go on, but most of you know what a big, vintage woofer can do. On the other realism side, they are vintage so I'm trying to evaluate if the tweeters need a new damping foam plug. As far as I understand, the difference in a working or powderized/shrunk foam damper is subtle, so it may be hard to determine by ear. But to start with, I'd rather listen to positives than search for errors.

Tweeters out? (sellers pics)

Other than wanting to strip naked and hold a 240 close while it plays organ music,, I’ve never had a shot at them locally. Back in the late ‘80s, this was the speaker I drooled over at the Hi-Fi shop in Ogden UT. Best I could do was a pair of HK subs that use the LE14A-1 woofer. They are remarkable. Beautiful pics man. Envy

Hehe, clwinbe, I'm at loss for words .

After a couple of weeks I'm getting to know them a little better, and love is growing steadily. I've dropped them to the floor, no need to elevate them.

14 inches of woofer - yes! Also, I believe it playing up to 900hz, (or so), matters in coherence and dynamics. As a guitarplayer I'm used to being in rooms with drumkits and big bass amps, and in my youth I also worked as stagehand/PA/backline roadie. So I have quite a bit of experience with instruments and amps as they sound before recording. These speakers brings out those stage sound memories, which is both pleasing and surprising. As for organ, they will play church organ G0/24,5hz audibly, if not as forcefully as G1 at 49hz. .

As for tweeters, both are working without distortion, which is good. 044Tis are old, question is how age affects their sound.

But I find they play deeper in image, and with more layering than I'm used to. Spaces for new details have opened up, yet music/sound/instruments is/are more complete and distinct.

They are more revealing of bad productions/pressings, while others makes me think they were mixed on JBL studio monitors, and sound just perfect and better than ever.
    But the system I'm building will allow for two signal paths, one fully analog, and one with DSP in line for EQ, recording and analysis/spectrum monitoring.

It'll take much more time to get to know them properly, but time I have lots of, and it'll be a joy.

Also I'm glad I found this community of aficionados and experts, feels much safer to have so many people loving the same thing - and who are sharing so willingly experience and knowledge... and passion, which is infectious, I have to say .

Thanks for leading me onto the path.

You should write reviews for magazines !!

So glad you have landed on your feet with your 240's and at a very fair price.

Seasonal greetings from Scotland , regards Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
    14 inches of woofer - yes!

...Thanks for leading me onto the path.
    Great to hear!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Incidentally , welcome to the forum , we have a few longtime members here from Norway and the rest of Skandinavia.

Other things you might want to ponder for the future , I reckon the 240 is a good mule , Bi Amping being an easy step.
    However , and this has been discussed before , I think that removal of the mid and HF leaves cut outs that can be absorbed by the cutout for a PTH f1010 Horn. Add a 2450sl compression driver and DSP management and you will be well on your way to a poor man's M2.
    Endless fun during the long winter nights.

Just floating ideas here.
    Thanks mac, as you now know I like your idea . Took a little time to read up on, but... very tempting.
    Name:  240_PTH1010HF-1_preview.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  227.4 KB
    I did a little mockup based on the PTH1010HF-1 waveguide, very well fitting, would be invisible behind grill . I tried overlaying the M2 waveguide, but it's just too big, I think. But would it be possible to use a passive crossover? My technical insight is limited, but something simple at crossing at maybe 800hz, would that work? JBL has some used in 2-way monitors. Or even build one? As a temporary solution, using existing DSP for EQ? Spread the cost a little...

I'm going to let the popcorn muchers get into this , lets see what they have to say.
    Passive is entirely feasible with most of the network that is there , or the big components at least.

As it stands 900Hz , you could leave the bass part as is.

I think I'd build a new box rather than cut up a pair of 240ti to experiment on.

Thread Information