Thread: Upgrading 4425s - help with charge coupled xover

Question Upgrading 4425s - help with charge coupled xover

Hello everyone!

I've been in the audio hobby for the longest time, but mostly in car audio. So I don't have a lot of experience with home audio gear, but very willing to learn!

Now I've had these 4425 speakers for quite some time, and already upgraded the diaphragms to Radians, and would now like to upgrade the xovers to 9V biasing.

I've already had a good long look through the forums, but a few questions remain:
    1. I'm having a hard time putting together the right cap values (I know you can add the values when in parallel): what is needed is 28, 16, 8 and 6 uF (I've attached schematic of original xover) - is it better to put combine similar capacities, or doesn't it matter (e.g. to get to 28uF, is it OK to take a 27uF and add a 1uF)?
    2. What kind of caps make the most sense here (looking for good improvement but without breaking the bank)?
    3. I suppose the little bridging caps (0.01uF) can be omitted?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    SQ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sqdragster View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've been in the audio hobby for the longest time, but mostly in car audio. So I don't have a lot of experience with home audio gear, but very willing to learn!

Now I've had these 4425 speakers for quite some time, and already upgraded the diaphragms to Radians, and would now like to upgrade the xovers to 9V biasing.

I've already had a good long look through the forums, but a few questions remain:
    1. I'm having a hard time putting together the right cap values (I know you can add the values when in parallel): what is needed is 28, 16, 8 and 6 uF (I've attached schematic of original xover) - is it better to put combine similar capacities, or doesn't it matter (e.g. to get to 28uF, is it OK to take a 27uF and add a 1uF)?
    2. What kind of caps make the most sense here (looking for good improvement but without breaking the bank)?
    3. I suppose the little bridging caps (0.01uF) can be omitted?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    SQ
    In my Experience with using DC Biasing caps one is slightly better off ( when trying to combine values ) to get them closer in size to each other ( rather than say your 27uF + 1uF example ).

It's all a very subtle difference .

I have found that Solen fast caps are about the best to DC Bias.

FWIW, the dc signal removes almost all of the "personality" that one pays big bucks for in more esoteric style caps ( so don't waste money on buying "personality" ) .

Yes, those .01uF "bypass caps" cease to function properly when DC Biasing is present ( I can only speculate as to why ) .

Thread Information