Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To 1400 Array, or not to 1400 Array. That is the question?

I intend to box up my 250ti's, return to and unbox my old 1400's. I prefer the admittedly less efficient but more polite sound of the 1400's.

The 1400's do have a subdued top end, exacerbated by too much soft furnishings in my man cave. I wish they had treble control on their tweeters.

or...Revel ?

I was a longtime 250Ti owner who wanted to move on to something newer. I listened to the Array 1400 years ago and liked it quite a bit, but not enough to make the move. It was the Salon 2's that finally got my checkbook out and I'm very happy with the swap. They are much more "modern" and "hifi" in their presentation than what I was used to. What they do best (imaging, soundstage and unbelievably uncolored sound) may not be the top things on everyone's list though. In fact if you are after that "large format" sound, these may not do it for you. I just bring them into the discussion as there is a lot of JBL DNA in these and they've been gushingly reviewed for nearly a decade now.

It's well worth hearing a pair if you can....

jblnut

I own, listen to, and love an assortment of vintage and modern JBLs - L110, L220, L300, 4350, Array 1400, Everest DD67000. IMO, for the money, best are Array 1400. Price aside, Everest.

Imaging on the last two is awesome.

I still have my 1400 Array's that i bought a few years ago. Bought them used from James Tanner who had them and wrote a review. I posted it here a number of years ago.

Here it is again. For my money and with my Marantz reference gear, I think the speakers sound sublime.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

The Duntech Sovereign’s were my absolute favorite speaker for many years. I used to work in Los Angeles in the late 80s and heard them often at Christopher Hansen’s shop in Beverly Hills. He had them and the giant Goldman Apologues on display. The Goldmans were way overrated (IMHO) and didn’t hold a candle to the Sovereigns. The Sovereign’s imaging was fantastic (they said setup was a bear to get them right) and the coherence of all those drivers was superb. They sounded as coherent as a small 2 way bookshelf speaker but (very) full range. Fun anecdote: When I was at the store one day, Magic Johnson of the Lakers walked in and I was told he was buying 2 pair for his home (sitting them side by side).

I’ve never heard the 1400s but clearly they get good reviews from many people. I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned the similarly priced M2s. I have the M2s and love them! They have entirely different and much more modern set of drivers and wave guide than the traditional CD and woofer set of the 1400 or even the Everests. So if you haven’t heard them, I’d encourage you to take the time and effort to give them a listen. So, while I can’t say I’ve done a side by side comparison of the M2/Sovereigns, based on my memory of the Sovereign’s, I think you’d appreciate the imaging and punch, without suffering from any sense of stress listening at whatever volume you desire. Just my 2¢...

Paul

As long as you’re trying to gather information, give the first post in this thread a read...
    https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142929.20

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    As long as you’re trying to gather information, give the first post in this thread a read...
    https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142929.20
    The M2 is also a great speaker. In its stock enclosure it isn’t beautiful and the electronics requirements are rather limiting, but if you can get past those two issues it is a real contender. I agree with the premise of the first post in that thread regarding well designed horn systems vs. well designed cone/dome systems.

That said, I personally prefer the DD67000 over the arguably more accurate and better imaging M2. This is purely subjective, but to me the DD67000 sounds more like music and feels more alive. I would say the same thing in comparison with the big Revels.

FWIW: In a conversation with Kevin Voecks, he told me he had taken a pair of M2s home and was giving them a serious audition at that time. He had nothing but praise for the M2 system. While he did not share my enthusiasm for the DD67000, he wasn’t dismissive of the big JBLs. He is more interested in imaging and exacting neutrality so the DD67000 isn't his favorite system. Just another case of differing goals and desires for different listeners and why we need so many different flavors of great.

Widget

JBL Array 1400 is far, far more superior than Ti250/L250 model, different league - simply conventional speaker cannot compete with compression drivers / horn design in newer Array model. This is different class. Arrays with proper system (I'm recommending strong Levinson amps) and clean signal (no tubes etc.), in proper room - are able to blow your mind

FWIW. After quite a few years use I'm still very happy with my active DIY take on the Array 1400 using 2206 bass mid with the SAM1/2435Be and the bottom end below 80hz taken care of by a BK XXL400 sub.
    The SAM1 is very polite and un hornlike, after lots of tweaking they ended up crossed at 1050hz and in terms of mid punch are not found wanting.
    I tried the SAM1 with a 2452/Be @750hz and it was this upper mid solidity that was very persuasive over the 3",crossing the 2435 higher with the 2206 filling the gap seemed to work in a similar way.

Thread Information