Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Borriquito, bluff package

NRBQ, At Yankee Stadium, 1978, Mercury USA, SRM 1-3712

NRBQ live at Yankee Stadium? Noo, it's a bluff. In fact this album was recorded at Bearsville Studios, Nov. 1977. In keeping with the band's sense of humor, the album's title is a joke. But, it's not a lie: look at the front cover photo...Listen to "Riding in my car" B7 from 1975 LP "All hopped up".
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

The Ventures, Super Psychedelics, 1967, Liberty USA, LRP 2052

Super Ventures LP. Super psychedelic cover art. Super psychedelic songs. No psychedelic sounds at all.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Spencer Davis Group, Lets Dance With The, 1968, Liberty Germany, SLS 50 141 Z

Every time we try to dance to this "LP for dancers", my wife says she would rather wash the dishes in the kitchen. (???!) She is right. It's definitively not the kind of music you may dance to. Especially the drum solo by Pete York in "Alec in Transitland" A3 and the rhythm changes in "Sanity Inspector" A4 or the psychedelic "Time Seller" B4 are a creative challenge for body and mind.
    In fact it's a fascinating piece of great pop music from a period of transition after the quitting of Stevie Winwood in 1967.
    It's a very positive bluff package! I love such kind of bluff! Alright, my wife says has finished her work in the kitchen. So, let's try another LP to dance to. What about Pink Floyds "Atom Heart Mother"? Tomorrow i will wash the dish.
    Spencer Davis died on October 19th 2020. RIP

Lou Reed, Live Take No Prisoners, 1978, RCA Germany, XL 03066

Too much (silly) talking. Don't listen to "Walk on the wild side" D1 because it's a cheat. Lou Reed just talked and talked and talked. It's a walk on the sluggish side. German Kunstkopfstereo technology "Binaural Sound Recording" would have been a chance to create something unique. Missed opportunity. That's why it is definitively a bluff package and an annoying hype.

Spirit, Made in Germany, 1983, Potato Germany, 172200

"Made in Germany" means: the photos for artwork were made by German WDR-TV. In fact this album was recorded at live concerts in London, Miami and Tampa.
    Impudent, cheat!
    But admitted, it's not a bad one at all considering that fine live guitar work by Randy California and superb recording dynamics.

The Spirit Rockpalast gig from March 1978, where the cover photos supposedly were shot, is available at YT. Note Dickey Betts jamming with them at the very last piece.

Best regards!

Grossartiges Konzert

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    The Spirit Rockpalast gig from March 1978, where the cover photos supposedly were shot, is available at YT. Note Dickey Betts jamming with them at the very last piece.

Best regards!
    Danke für den Tip. Was für ein grossartiges Konzert. Warum ist dieses nicht auf der LP "Made in Germany"? Rechtliche Gründe? Gruss aus CH, Fritz

This was the 2nd one in a row of Rockpalast nights at Grugahalle, Essen, Germany. The other artists at that show were Mothers Finest, a then unknown act in Germany, and Dickey Betts & Great Southern. The Rockpalast nights were produced by TV/radio channel WDR and broadcast via TV all over Europe and stereophonic sound via several German radio stations.

Best regards!

Mothers Finest

This was the 2nd one in a row of Rockpalast nights at Grugahalle, Essen, Germany. The other artists at that show were Mothers Finest, a then unknown act in Germany, and Dickey Betts & Great Southern. The Rockpalast nights were produced by TV/radio channel WDR and broadcast via TV all over Europe and stereophonic sound via several German radio stations.

Best regards!
    I remember well: i was very impressed that night in march 1978 by the pure energy of Joyce Kennedy. But oddly i don't remember the shows of Spirit and Dickey Betts. I was a big fan of Rockpalast! It was VHS-video time then, when Albrecht Metzger proudly presented "Tschörmen Tiwiee"...

I was even more impressed by Jerry »Wyzard« Seay's bass playing and sound. He played an unknown (well, to me at least...) bass guitar over two MusicMan HD-130 heads. For sure he is one of the most funkies bass players on our planet :-).

Best regards!

Fender Precision

I was even more impressed by Jerry »Wyzard« Seay's bass playing and sound. He played an unknown (well, to me at least...) bass guitar over two MusicMan HD-130 heads. For sure he is one of the most funkies bass players on our planet :-).

Best regards!
    In Rockpalast 1978 it might be self creation with a curious neck/body combination. Look at the inexpert lacquer surface of the body (visible in the furious bass solo part): https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video/...nest--100.html
    But here it's a Fender Precision bass: https://www.bassprofessor.info/index...mothers-finest

A great funk bass player, indeed. Gruss und Dank für den Tip. Fritz

Sorry, I have to stand corrected: Although Seay was known to use MM HD-130 amplifiers (hybrid designs with SS anywhere but in the power section, which featured four 6CA7's), in the Rockpalast show he used two all-tube Ampeg SVT's with 8 x 12" cabinets. Thunderous 600 watts. I had to have a very close inspection to get aware of this.

And yes, probably you're right about the homebrew bass guitar. I've never seen anything like this one, and I'm a bass player also.

Best regards!

The Sound of Vinyl?

The download codes added to the vinyl LPs: Is it really the sound of vinyl?

They can't fool me.

Willie Burgundy Five, The Midnight Train From Boston, 1974, MGM USA, M3G 4972

The Wrecking Crew goes Easy-listening-dixie-pop
    Cover art says: this is the midnight train to Boston.
    In fact its sloppy elevator music of mishandled generic pop songs.
    Am i wrong?

Eroc, Same, 1975, Brain Germany, 1069

Eroc is Joachim H. Ehrig, Ex-German psychedelic progressive rock group "Grobschnitt".
    Liner notes on back cover: "Musik ist eine ehrliche Sprache. Es ist nicht einfach, Worte zu finden zu einem Werk! Es ist überhaupt nicht leicht, über etwas zu sprechen, das selbst eine Sprache ist."

In fact, this album is the language of hybris.
    Anyhow it's a bluff package.
    Am I wrong?

Thread Information