Thread: JBL speakers from the 70s; what are these?

JBL speakers from the 70s; what are these?

Greetings, A neighbor has these speakers and asked my opinion. I believe that they have been altered, but the drivers are vintage. Anyone hazard a guess? I hooked them up and they work fine, but the baffle looks altered to me. I was not able to find anything similar anywhere on line. Much appreciated.
    o1ekman
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Greetings o1ekman, you should ask your question in the Lansing General Product Info. thread.
    Maybe the moderators can move it for you. Anyway the answers to your questions as follows.
    The cabinets appear to JBL model 4430 that someone changed out the components and redone the top baffle cutout for the 2344 horn and added a tweeter The woofers are from JBL's L200 -- LE15B.
    The midrange can be either a LE175DLH or a 1217-1290 with a LE85 on it. I think it is the first one a 175. The tweeter is a model number 077. The crossover on the bottom you will not be able to tell the model number unless you remove the 4 screws and pull out about 6 " to read the foilcal badge on the side of the crossover. The top one will be on the back. My guess to work fairly well would be a 3120A
    1200 hz on the bottom and top xover a N8000/7000hz. Probably a bit forward +2or 3 db on the mids
    Dont be surprised the bottom xover is a 3110A. Hope this helps you

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Greetings o1ekman, you should ask your question in the Lansing General Product Info. thread.
    Maybe the moderators can move it for you. Anyway the answers to your questions as follows.
    The cabinets appear to JBL model 4430 that someone changed out the components and redone the top baffle cutout for the 2344 horn and added a tweeter The woofers are from JBL's L200 -- LE15B.
    The midrange can be either a LE175DLH or a 1217-1290 with a LE85 on it. I think it is the first one a 175. The tweeter is a model number 077. The crossover on the bottom you will not be able to tell the model number unless you remove the 4 screws and pull out about 6 " to read the foilcal badge on the side of the crossover. The top one will be on the back. My guess to work fairly well would be a 3120A
    1200 hz on the bottom and top xover a N8000/7000hz. Probably a bit forward +2or 3 db on the mids
    Dont be surprised the bottom xover is a 3110A. Hope this helps you
    That's some pretty good sleuthing there! If we could see a side profile (assuming the cabinet has't been painted over), I think we'd know the origin for sure.
    Out.

Thanks jbl4ever Side view

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    That's some pretty good sleuthing there! If we could see a side profile (assuming the cabinet has't been painted over), I think we'd know the origin for sure.
    Thanks so much jbl4ever,

That is indeed some great detective work jbl4ever! I am helping a neighbor who inherited these, and am hoping to find a good home for them as is, or more likely parted out. If you know anyone who would be interested once I determine what exactly they are and run some tests on them, be sure to let me know. is there a place for that on this page?

Again, much obliged,
    o1ekman
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You are welcome o1ekman No detective or sleuthing required. I have had 4 pairs of the 4430's and 2 pairs of the 4435's over the years. As for the components I have all of the ones loaded in your cabinets. The top baffle board was changed out on your cabinets. I happened to find now a picture of 4430's without the drivers in them. Below you will find a link to Craigslist with them which might be better for you to list local for them. On this site you would list them on their Lansing Product Marketplace.
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/m...101012000.html

Thread Information