Thread: Which PRO amplifier to match, to the KEF 105 II

Which PRO amplifier to match, to the KEF 105 II

What PRO amplifier to match, to KEF 105 II, beautiful question 'Good morning everyone, I would need some help , for a friend who took Kef 105 II... some model of good PRO amps years 78 /85 musical 'max 500 euros' I proposed an AmcronCrown DC 300 MkII , or the D150 he found an Electro Voice 44 th is as good as Amcron /Crown 'thank you'

I'm a believer in BGW amps. Their vintage hold up well. I would think you could get a 750/c/d etc ... shipped and gone through and updated for less than 500

their new stuff ===>>> https://www.bgw.com/products/2-amplifiers
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Why do you want to limit yourself to a pro (otherwise known as a PA) amp?

Widget

E-V 44 was a very old integrated amp with 40W/ ch. 8 ohm. Could it be instead E-V Q44 launched in 2009 or so?

I would tend to forget about the old E-V 44.

Those Kef having 85-86 db sensitivity 1W 1 M (depending on spec sheet version) an E-V 44 would be bare minimum to drive the speakers having amp rating 40-200W, without much headroom...

With 200W max input power you get about 107 db SPL as per one version of spec sheet...

In the amp years you mention you may also look at the Phase Linear 400 or maybe even the original Crest Audio P-3500, if you can find one of those which I doubt... These are in addition to the Amcron & BGW previously mentioned. Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm a believer in BGW amps. Their vintage hold up well. I would think you could get a 750/c/d etc ... shipped and gone through and updated for less than 500

their new stuff ===>>> https://www.bgw.com/products/2-amplifiers
    Hello Seawolf97 thank you, I will inform you.'

Widget[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    E-V 44 was a very old integrated amp with 40W/ ch. 8 ohm. Could it be instead E-V Q44 launched in 2009 or so?

I would tend to forget about the old E-V 44.

Those Kef having 85-86 db sensitivity 1W 1 M (depending on spec sheet version) an E-V 44 would be bare minimum to drive the speakers having amp rating 40-200W, without much headroom...

With 200W max input power you get about 107 db SPL as per one version of spec sheet...

In the amp years you mention you may also look at the Phase Linear 400 or maybe even the original Crest Audio P-3500, if you can find one of those which I doubt... These are in addition to the Amcron & BGW previously mentioned. Regards,

Richard
    hello Richard, if I'm not mistaken it should be the last , the one of 2009 I'm waiting answer from friend he told me that it's the EV Q44

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Why do you want to limit yourself to a pro (otherwise known as a PA) amp?

Widget
    Hello Mr. Widget , definitely power and saving money, and also to see you really feel, the sonic differences, in short a 'different experience from the usual names, in the Home Hi Fi.'

A Last Note, without fans would be better.

thank you all.'

The amcron DC300 had no fan and the phase Linear 400 neither. The EV Q44, BGW 750 series and the original Crest Audio P-3500 have fans.

Also the EV Q44 isn't "some model of good PRO amps years 78 /85" but rather 2009 or so... So you need to clarify this matter. BTW Bryston 4B Pro, no fan, could be another nice possibility but not sure it would fit the max price target of 500 Euros. You'll see in Europe (if they were distributed there). Regards,

Richard

The amcron DC300 had no fan and the phase Linear 400 neither. The EV Q44, BGW 750 series and the original Crest Audio P-3500 have fans.

Also the EV Q44 isn't "some model of good PRO amps years 78 /85" but rather 2009 or so... So you need to clarify this matter. BTW Bryston 4B Pro, no fan, could be another nice possibility but not sure it would fit the max price target of 500 Euros. You'll see in Europe (if they were distributed there). Regards,

Richard
    BGW 750 series, at least the "D" has a fan "high or low" switch. I bypassed and mounted a muffin fan with a speed control and run that whisper quiet, doesn't even get warm when pushed.

My little BGW 250D does not have a fan.

In the amp years you mention you may also look at the Phase Linear 400
    PL has terrible reputation.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    PL has terrible reputation.
    How can you say that about Flame Linear?

In in my opinion they really don’t sound particularly great when stock either.

Widget

There must be continental forums for better answers. I would think a European maker would make more sense for availability and service.

Any used pro amp should be gone through because almost without exception they have been ridden hard and put up wet. In the States the best bets are amps that have been in churches. Dutch Reformed, Presbyterians and Lutherians probably the safest choices there.

The JBL UREI 6230/60/90 amps are pretty decent, actually, and I believe they were marketed for 220 volt grids and in the stated era, or close. The 6290 sounds the best to me and has the power needed. Has a fan, but a tech could alter the control circuit.

Don't know if Bryston is marketed in Europe, but a 4B ST would be a good choice.

I agree on the Phase Linear amps. Dangerous to both your speakers and your nervous system.

Again, not sure if ever sold in Europe, but the Harman Kardon Citation 22 at 200 wpc has often been recommended here, although I have no personal experience of it.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information