Thread: Got new (used) Denon AVR3313ci.... almost working!

Got new (used) Denon AVR3313ci.... almost working!

I tagged on to an old post rather than starting a new one. Some of you may have seen it. I got good advice from our moderator. I wanted to reply again but it seems like I'm dragging that post way off topic.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?39579-Rack-Preamp-Options
    Anyways I got the new to me Denon receiver and hooked it up. I did run the update feature once connected to the internet. The unit updated it's firmware. That still excites me that technology seems so far advanced and yet simple to use. Old stuff becomes new again.
    The unit seems to work well and although the HDMI might not be as advanced as the new stuff, the picture looks fine to me. I have it connected to my LG TV with HDR. ( and ARC which the Denon supports BTW.)
    One thing that I can't get is the radio to work. The remote seems unresponsive to any commands to enable it. It appears that the unit senses what's connected and won't let you choose what isn't. So maybe that's where the issue stems from? I tried with the internet connected and also my cable TV connection to the FM antenna in. The manual states you can listen to radio over the internet and also HD radio. Yet I can't seem to enable either? No real info on enabling it in the manual.
    The unit wouldn't pass thru sound and picture to the TV when it was off as I recieved it. I fixed that in the settings tab by turning on a feature that enables it. So I'm left guessing that the radio problem is somewhere in the same realm.
    I shot off an email to Denon yesterday, but have not heard back yet. I probably shouldn't have done an email stating it's used on their checklist form?
    I also ran the built in speaker analyzer with the new JBLs connected. From that other post, that's a pair of JBL 530s and a center 520. Their used in conjunction with my older JBLs. I have a pair of 830s? on the mains with a 12" JBL sub.
    The center speaker seems to be doing a lot of the work. The new tweeter in it seems very accurate and excels more than the older model I had there. I could do a manual adjustment but I'm still playing with all the built in DSP choices for surround. Some seem to change the speakers roles slightly.
    I just ordered a JBL 500 series sub (10") to see how it compares with the older 12" I have. I would have preferred all matching speakers (and the latest receiver!) but my budget won't comply.
    So far I'd give a slight edge to this Denon over my previous Yamaha RXV675 mainly in (slight) volume. There are some minuses and some things that may need getting used to. I had forgotten that the Yamaha would have supported 2 more speakers for 7.1 that I hadn't hooked up. This new Denon will support 4 more than the 7.1 I am just starting!, and/or 2 more zones.

I just got an email from Denon!
    They said to reset the receiver. Hold up and down cursors while applying power to unit and display flashes.
    It worked! Only problem is everything needs to be redone again for set-up. Ah well. The price of progress.

Have you downloaded and installed the latest firmware? You will likely run into HDMI issues if you do not.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
    The unit updated it's firmware. That still excites me that technology seems so far advanced and yet simple to use. Old stuff becomes new again.
    Yes I did!
    Very cool too.

Thread Information