Thread: JBL L220 restoration - where to start from?

JBL L220 restoration - where to start from?

So,

I finally got the L220, won't know where to start from even what to ask, the speakers seem to work, I quickly attached an old Sansui integrated amp and they do work, the high and mid pads work but they have "blank" zones I guess due to long time no usage.

The woofers to me look like they have already been refoamed, the passive radiators need suspension being redone and my idea is to try it myself with parts and instructions off of Simply Speakers.

Now, speaking about components (speakers and crossovers), before I start and work on the passives refoam what should I check to make sure I trash no money? Do I pull crossovers out and check components with a multimeter (that's the only tool I own)? Can I spray some WD40 on the pads?

Please also tell me what you need to see to help me in the process so that tomorrow I can start and take pics as to show you.

Grazie mille

Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
    Do I pull crossovers out and check components with a multimeter (that's the only tool I own)? Can I spray some WD40 on the pads?
    Giovanni
    WD40 is a lubricant , not a contact cleaner.

try turning the pots the full radius (all left then all right) about a dozen times
    (amp OFF) , that usually cleans the internal wipers.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
    So,

I finally got the L220, won't know where to start from even what to ask, the speakers seem to work, I quickly attached an old Sansui integrated amp and they do work, the high and mid pads work but they have "blank" zones I guess due to long time no usage.

The woofers to me look like they have already been refoamed, the passive radiators need suspension being redone and my idea is to try it myself with parts and instructions off of Simply Speakers.

Now, speaking about components (speakers and crossovers), before I start and work on the passives refoam what should I check to make sure I trash no money? Do I pull crossovers out and check components with a multimeter (that's the only tool I own)? Can I spray some WD40 on the pads?

Please also tell me what you need to see to help me in the process so that tomorrow I can start and take pics as to show you.

Grazie mille

Giovanni
    Steve Gonzales was the L220 rescue king, until some "griefer" activity by a person or persons unnamed caused him to say "p*** off" and leave the site. You can still find his old posts in certain places where he's now listed as "Guest."

Here's an example: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ll=1#post93729
    Out.

Thread Information