Thread: Can the Jbl 2345 use to upgrade Jbl 4331a?

Can the Jbl 2345 use to upgrade Jbl 4331a?

The Jbl 4331a use the 2312 horn and lens ,it sounds focus ,but the it does sound thick and warm enough especially for listening classical music .so I want to upgrade to 2345 horn.ps.my room is so small.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello and welcome to the Lansing Heritage site. I do not know if you could call it a improvement on the 4331a's using a 2345 horn. Sure the 2345 horn loads down to 800Hz but is more of a medium throw and in a small room could be overwhelming. The 2312 is used for short throw applications i.e. 30ft or less. Also the 2345 sensitivity is 111db and the 2312 is 108db. You will have to turn the Lpad down to -3db to balance the sensitivity. Maybe you need to add a 3106 circuit and a 2405 tweeter to open up your sound more. If you have a 2345 horn to try just disconnect the wires off the 2420 and use some wire nuts and extra wire to make an extension out of the cabinet threw the port. This way no damage or alterations to your speakers if you do not like it. Make sure you plug the 2312 throat if you take the driver off in the cabinet. Also you could check out the 2370 horn. Hope this helps and happy listening

The original 4331a was a good monitor in its day.

You are most likely right about classical music limitations.

If you can obtain the 2345 try it but be prepared to listen to several different horns before settling on your preferred option.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Radial_Horns1.pdf

What l would do first is look at the Nelson Pass crossover update of the L300 which is the consumer version of the 4333 monitor. The L300 is a 3 way system but the woofer and the horn are the same. The Nelson Pass crossover has different crossover for the woofer and the horn so it’s worth trying before making the change to a different horn.

In diyaudio you can try anything but be prepared to do a lot of experimentation.

There are other horns worth considering which are possibly better for hifi including the SEOS wave guide and the Le Cleach horn. Generally when trying one horn for another you are comparing a different set of compromise.

It’s about what works best for you.

http://gpoint-audio.com/diy/horns-pl-diy-2/seos-horns/

https://www.azurahorn.com/

Thank you for your detailed reply.If use the 2345, and turn down the Lpad 3db, may have a negative effect to the sound.my room is just 10 Square meters and I put my speakers on long side. The speakers is 2 meters away from me.mybe if I want to use the 2345,I have to use the The electronic frequency division, and I have a Jbl 5235.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Lansing Heritage site. I do not know if you could call it a improvement on the 4331a's using a 2345 horn. Sure the 2345 horn loads down to 800Hz but is more of a medium throw and in a small room could be overwhelming. The 2312 is used for short throw applications i.e. 30ft or less. Also the 2345 sensitivity is 111db and the 2312 is 108db. You will have to turn the Lpad down to -3db to balance the sensitivity. Maybe you need to add a 3106 circuit and a 2405 tweeter to open up your sound more. If you have a 2345 horn to try just disconnect the wires off the 2420 and use some wire nuts and extra wire to make an extension out of the cabinet threw the port. This way no damage or alterations to your speakers if you do not like it. Make sure you plug the 2312 throat if you take the driver off in the cabinet. Also you could check out the 2370 horn. Hope this helps and happy listening

Thank you for your good advice.The 4331a is a studio monitor in old days and may have some disadvantages. In my country, its easy to fine Jbl ,altec.et horns although it is expensive. And some other horns are so rare. May be I can have a try with goto,ale,kondo horns which comes from japan.secondly I really love Jbl so I prefer to upgrade my system with Jbl components, base on the Jbl sound. Obviously the Jbl speakers are more suitable for play jazz music than classic music by my opinion. They have a high energy ,high resolution,sense of reality sound, these characters contribute to Jbl sound.Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The original 4331a was a good monitor in its day.

You are most likely right about classical music limitations.

If you can obtain the 2345 try it but be prepared to listen to several different horns before settling on your preferred option.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Radial_Horns1.pdf

What l would do first is look at the Nelson Pass crossover update of the L300 which is the consumer version of the 4333 monitor. The L300 is a 3 way system but the woofer and the horn are the same. The Nelson Pass crossover has different crossover for the woofer and the horn so it’s worth trying before making the change to a different horn.

In diyaudio you can try anything but be prepared to do a lot of experimentation.

There are other horns worth considering which are possibly better for hifi including the SEOS wave guide and the Le Cleach horn. Generally when trying one horn for another you are comparing a different set of compromise.

It’s about what works best for you.

http://gpoint-audio.com/diy/horns-pl-diy-2/seos-horns/

https://www.azurahorn.com/

Thread Information