Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first active multi amp project, choices for electronic crossovers, advices please.

No problem.

I went active over a decade ago and would never return to passive networks...
    I can easily tailor sound to the room, to my liking and to the type of music.

I went with a cheap Behringer DCX24/96 and added a dbx bass synthetizer. You can get a bass synthetizer bundled in a DBX active crossover too...

Lee

RE POST # 8

Hi more 10,

RE "Xlr also removes the possibility for ground loops if you make your own cables (connect screen only in one end)."

The Neutrik 1/4" TRS I use on some gear does the same and I make my own cables. Ground loops avoidance isn't a particularity of XLRs. 1/4" TRS can do that too. Its more about how you connect your stuff than the connector itself. I generally prefer XLR but can easily live with 1/4".

RE "Avoid Rane and Behringer. I have several dbxes, one labgruppen (swedish brand), and one Rane. I have used them all. ... My first one was a Behringer, it broke the first day I used it."

Avoiding Behringer in general I can understand why since a number of folks have reported problems or reliability issues with different models, not everyone though. Never owned any Behringer but this changed today with a DEQ 24/96 and ECM 8000 mic for its RTA feature, picked-up this afternoon. As for avoiding Rane, I'm surprised at this, depending on model, you didn't mention which nor explain why so I'll assume its based on your assessment/use of one of their more recent XO models?

Unfortunately, like many others Rane has changed over the years, DBX too, not necessarily for the better. Formerly built in the USA, Rane production was moved to low-cost Asia if I recall right and was purchased at some point by group(s) like In Music Brands. Sadly, not the same company as in the past. From a respected nice Pro gear one to a DJ/install maker now.

Rane gear I got during the 90s is pretty good. Purchased a new 2/3 oct. GE 14 EQ in 1992 ($665.), AC 22 XO 1994 ($430.)and another AC 22 XO 1996 ($450.). These prices were below retail, add taxes to them. Wasn't cheap gear. But my experience with the three units is that they are well made, performing and reliable, using quality components.

Very few audio manufacturers dared to systematically give very detailed specs with the more important tolerance figures for most of these product specs, like Rane did. They showed pretty nice tolerances. Over the years Rane has also provided the users with one of the best technical library. Never been cheap on tech info. Rane has been at the forefront of equipment connections issues you refer to, such as Sound system interconnections, grounding and shielding, Pin 1 problem, etc, and many more other interesting subjects.

About 3-4 years ago I had an exchange of e-mails with Rane's Lead Factory Repair Technician regarding a question I had (not a problem) related to long-term reliability in a particular application and setup. I gave him each model/serial number along with the question. His reply was "With that type of equipment, no problem", then added some advice on doing it. From context I understood with other type Rane (more recent ones) his answer might have been different... Many people judge Rane for what it is now, and apply that across the board, instead of making the distinction with what Rane used to be.

Rane AC 22 and GE 14 were manufactured for 10+ years, I think donkeys at those prices would not have survived in the Pro market for that long. I wouldn't have bought a second AC 22 two years after the first one either. Today I would still not change the Ranes I have for 23-27 years for some DBX 200 series stuff, since its mostly lower-cost China made equipment, not bad, but not great for the long run.

Hope the above provides some additional insight or perspective on older Rane gear.

Knowing what I know, never purchased a more recent Rane though, went instead for an Ashly XR-1001 crossover... Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I went active over a decade ago and would never return to passive networks...
    I can easily tailor sound to the room, to my liking and to the type of music.

I went with a cheap Behringer DCX24/96 and added a dbx bass synthetizer. You can get a bass synthetizer bundled in a DBX active crossover too...

Lee
    I use and highly recommend the DBX Venu 360. It's feature rich, powerful, and configurable.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/dbx-driverack-venu360.html

Got mine used from these guys, it was as-new. With warrantee.

Thread Information