Thread: JBL 2269 18" ext throw woofers performance?

JBL 2269 18" ext throw woofers performance?

So first of all, I hope this is posted in the correct place! I'm new here.
    I did a search and didn't get any useful hits. So I thought I could ask.

Does anyone here have or has gotten to use the newer JBL 18" woofers #2269??
    They have grabbed my attention with some of their specs. Do you have an opinion to offer on their performance? maybe compared to the JBL 2258 or 2268? (in pro sound systems that is).
    I see many others like the B&C products but I prefer to stay with the JBL versions.
    I have been buying used 18"s that have seemed to become plentiful on the used market. So I am guessing that the larger companies are swapping out their current inventory to the newer 2269's?
    I'm still plowing thru all the tech notes that are posted on this site looking for newer stuff.
    It seems like most of the posts I've read so far are from or about studio or home use.

The 2269 is a pretty awesome driver. I too was intrigued by it. So much so, I bought a pair and made my own "SUB18" clones (slightly larger and tuned a little deeper). They didn't disappoint me at all.

In Cinema, they are gaining acceptance in the form of the 5628 subwoofer system. They are using the typical JBL dual 18" 18ft3 box that started with the 4642A (dual 2241G drivers). You can tell when a 5628 is being used because of how it interacts with your body. You really feel it, like someone put a "butt kicker" like device in your seat but it all comes from that sub.

It isn't the most efficient driver in the world but it definitely can deliver deep bass.

Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    The 2269 is a pretty awesome driver. I too was intrigued by it. So much so, I bought a pair and made my own "SUB18" clones (slightly larger and tuned a little deeper). They didn't disappoint me at all.

In Cinema, they are gaining acceptance in the form of the 5628 subwoofer system. They are using the typical JBL dual 18" 18ft3 box that started with the 4642A (dual 2241G drivers). You can tell when a 5628 is being used because of how it interacts with your body. You really feel it, like someone put a "butt kicker" like device in your seat but it all comes from that sub.

It isn't the most efficient driver in the world but it definitely can deliver deep bass.
    Have you posted a build plan? I have a pair of 2269.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing them.

Which one is the best JBL 18' woofer at present?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Have you posted a build plan? I have a pair of 2269.
    No. As I said, they are essentially SUB18 clones.

This thread may provide some useful info:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=Sub18

As well as this one on AVS:
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ttle-help.html

No. As I said, they are essentially SUB18 clones.

This thread may provide some useful info:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=Sub18

As well as this one on AVS:
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ttle-help.html
    But you did, I found it. It's titled "Sub 18 clone". I also participated in that thread, forgot about it.

I bought a pair of 5628's have them powered by two Behringer NX6000D. They are absolute monsters, they give me just what I wanted.

I do overall agree with you that the drivers are really good.

But deep bass is not where they excel. I own two SUB18's (non-DIY) and a single 5628. All of them roll-off pretty fast around 22hz. Even with no high-pass filter. Personally I prefer a driver which excels from 25-100hz and not one which excels at 10hz compromising the range above, so I love the 2269's. But they are _not_ deep bass monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    But deep bass is not where they excel. I own two SUB18's (non-DIY) and a single 5628. All of them roll-off pretty fast around 22hz. Even with no high-pass filter. Personally I prefer a driver which excels from 25-100hz and not one which excels at 10hz compromising the range above, so I love the 2269's. But they are _not_ deep bass monsters.
    In my book, the mid to low 20Hz region is pretty darned low. But then my use is really only for music which very rarely dips below 25Hz.

Widget

I guess it is a definition. I just know that many home theater people at AVSForum for example, they think 10hz when they say deep bass. And 2269H Will never do that.

And just how big a room are they in to get this 10Hz? And what recording is really delivering in that area? My cabinets are slightly larger to get down to 18Hz.

Mine are used with suitable EQ (I modeled it as a B6 alignment in an attempt to get down to 18Hz) but before EQ applied it measured and behaved as predicted in response. I used BassBox Pro to model it.

I'm satisfied with what I have.

Thread Information