Thread: 120Ti Question

120Ti Question

Is there any benefit of changing the midrange 104H to the later 104H-2 on the 120Ti. If so, does it require a modification to the crossovers? Many thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by NEWYORKER View Post
    Is there any benefit of changing the midrange 104H to the later 104H-2 on the 120Ti. If so, does it require a modification to the crossovers? Many thanks in advance!
    The 104H is the best driver of that series and the most current. The 104H-2 is older. Don't change a thing.

Is there any benefit of changing the midrange 104H to the later 104H-2 on the 120Ti.
    why ?? , as an owner I don't feel that the 120 needs DIY improving.

It's a fine 3 way, 12 incher as shipped by the factory.. IMHO
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Is there any benefit of changing the midrange 104H to the later 104H-2 on the 120Ti.
    Nope
    If so, does it require a modification to the crossovers?
    Yes it does

opinions vary

In my audio travels over the last decade, I have run across a few JBL fans who actually prefer the other 104 variants to the 104h. There's no harm in you swapping them in to test it out, although as others have stated it may not be matched as well to the output of the other drivers. You'd need xover mods to get it "just right" and those are much more complex that just dropping a new driver in the box.

jblnut

My .02$ ...

Reasonable question.

If you were -missing- the 104H or if one or more were damaged, I'd drop the 104H-2 unit(s) in and then see if you think it's worth the bother to mod the crossover
    (which would be required to more closely match the original frequency response). I looked at what might be required crossover-wise and decided not to make changes
    as I was hoping to find 104H units eventually.

I started with empty cabinets (albeit 240Ti) and had a hard time finding a 104H pair to properly restore them. They sounded good with 104H-2 drivers (which are
    relatively easy to find), but I've since obtained the proper 104H units and haven't looked back.

the -2 doesn't make them "better", just different. I would not consider swapping in 104H-2 to a system optimized for 104H as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    My .02$ ...

Reasonable question.

If you were -missing- the 104H or if one or more were damaged, I'd drop the 104H-2 unit(s) in and then see if you think it's worth the bother to mod the crossover
    (which would be required to more closely match the original frequency response). I looked at what might be required crossover-wise and decided not to make changes
    as I was hoping to find 104H units eventually.

I started with empty cabinets (albeit 240Ti) and had a hard time finding a 104H pair to properly restore them. They sounded good with 104H-2 drivers (which are
    relatively easy to find), but I've since obtained the proper 104H units and haven't looked back.

the -2 doesn't make them "better", just different. I would not consider swapping in 104H-2 to a system optimized for 104H as an upgrade.

Your .02$ is very worthy
    46 lover

Thread Information