Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Duchesses

Obviously being forgotten over decades, these ladies can't be remembered too often !

Best regards!

Betty Wright, Wright Back At You, 1983, Epic England, EPC 25358

Powerwoman!
    (But this one is one of the weakest productions, by Marlon Jackson) Typically for the 80ies mainstream pop. Too bad.
    Deep respect for Betty Wright, nonetheless.
    For compensation listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPVk-m1Pr4s

Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Beth Hart, War In My Mind, 2019, Provogue EU, 2LP, PRD 75951

The softer side of Hart. No bleeding fingers as shown on back cover photo.
    Listen to B3 "Sister Dear" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTrCR1gBxc
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Ah, Beth Hart. I first became aware of her while watching a Joe Bonamassa Blu-Ray, Live from the Beacon Theater circa 2011. Great show, with guest appearances from Hart, Paul Rodgers and John Hiatt. Kind of a "must own" if you're into watching rock/blues concerts or live music in general. Haven't ever been a super fan of Joe's voice, but it works on some tracks. More importantly, he is a virtuoso with the guitar and pretty humble. Also has the ability to meld his style and that is something I don't often see. When Paul Rodgers comes out for example, Bonamassa ends up sounding just like Paul Kossoff on Fire and Water and Walk in my Shadow. Even his drummer, Tal Bergman was able to do that, reproducing that "slap" style sound Simon Kirke had. Sounded like Free but a smidge better thanks to Joe and Tal.

Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Ah, Beth Hart. I first became aware of her while watching a Joe Bonamassa Blu-Ray, Live from the Beacon Theater circa 2011. Great show, with guest appearances from Hart, Paul Rodgers and John Hiatt. Kind of a "must own" if you're into watching rock/blues concerts or live music in general. Haven't ever been a super fan of Joe's voice, but it works on some tracks. More importantly, he is a virtuoso with the guitar and pretty humble. Also has the ability to meld his style and that is something I don't often see. When Paul Rodgers comes out for example, Bonamassa ends up sounding just like Paul Kossoff on Fire and Water and Walk in my Shadow. Even his drummer, Tal Bergman was able to do that, reproducing that "slap" style sound Simon Kirke had. Sounded like Free but a smidge better thanks to Joe and Tal.
    Agreed! A thrilling performance by JB and BH, indeed.
    B2 "I'll Take Care Of You" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFphuiMxA7I
    B3 "Sinners Prayer" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uFZDj1bM-E
    Greetings from Switzerland

Ah, Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa. Note that nipple alert:

Also note what can be done with mainly just two chords. A thrilling classic!

Best regards!

Along with Beth Hart, the next duchess surely is the most competent female voice of today. I think Susan Tedeschi wasn't mentioned yet in this thread. Here's a shot from the show where the Tedeschi Trucks Band almost completely recorded (Thorn Tree in the Garden is missing) the groundbreaking Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs album live at Lockn. Also note the terrific guitar work of Derek Trucks, her husband:

Best regards!

Christine Mc Vie, Same, 1984, WB D, 925 0591

RIP

Yes, it's sad. Anyway, she clearly had her best days with Chicken Shack and was responsible for the decomposition of Fleetwood Mac's music..

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Yes, it's sad. Anyway, she clearly had her best days with Chicken Shack and was responsible for the decomposition of Fleetwood Mac's music..

Best regards!
    I always thought it was the Buckingham/Nicks addition that destroyed the classic Fleetwood Mac -
    t'was the devil at the crossroad syndrome ...

I was enjoying this '77 compilation of older tracks yesterday (got it in 2012) ...
    The album was an obvious studio money grab after Rumours,
    but her songs do stand on their own.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Perhaps you're right, Heather. Admittedly I wasn't really sure. Anyway, some of the best selling hits in that excruciating FM era were written by C. McVie.

Best regards!

Fleetwood Mac/Christine Perfect, Albatross, 1977, CBS Spain, 32270

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I always thought it was the Buckingham/Nicks addition that destroyed the classic Fleetwood Mac -
    t'was the devil at the crossroad syndrome ...

I was enjoying this '77 compilation of older tracks yesterday (got it in 2012) ...
    The album was an obvious studio money grab after Rumours,
    but her songs do stand on their own.
    I remember well: i bought this compilation in 1995 in Sevilla Andalusia for 700 Pesetas (as the sticker on front cover shows). It was a very very hot afternoon...

Slack Alice, Same, 1974, Philips Holland, 6308 214

English barroom-rock band, led by singer Alice Spring aka Sandra Alfred, alias Mandy Mason, aka Sandra Barry. Impressive voice, comparable to Elkie Brooks and Maggie Bell.
    Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsftv728seU
    Forgotten duchess.

Chi Coltrane, Same, 1972, CBS Holland, S 65043

What a pity: the sleeve was mishandled. Not by me! The surface of the Dutch CBS/Epic album sleeves in the 70ies had miserable quality: they stick together! Some parts of this Chi Coltrane sleeve were irreparably destroyed, so I had to remove them. Some defects were retouched with a pen. Now there is a picture visible from a live concert 2011 through a cut-out. After the repair, the sleeve was coated for protection with a self-adhesive film. What would Chi Coltrane say? Since a concert experience in Zurich in 1976 or 1977 i am a great fan of her.
    Listen to "Thunder and Lightning" A1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IefcDO2s9Q
    Jim Gordon, Ron Tutt dr, Dean Parks g, Lee Sklar b, et al.

I remember her performing just that song at some German TV station in the beginning of the 1970ies. All of us were enthralled just by her appearance, somewhat resembling Michelle Phillips' :

Best regards!

Thread Information