Thread: Need Amp recommendations for W1500H subs in new Media Room

Need Amp recommendations for W1500H subs in new Media Room

I am mid-prewire on my new Media room, and thinking towards equipment selection. While most of it is set by what I already own, I will need to get a new subwoofer amp/amps. I currently use a Parasound Halo A21 on two subwoofers in a small room and it works well, but the new room is much larger - 14'x30'x9', so I am planning on four subs. I have been looking at Crown CDI Drivecore, 4|1200 or two 2|1200, but am concerned about their use for bass, as their specs are not encouraging - 1200w/ch at 1khz for .5sec. Anyone have input or recommendations for these or other amps to look at? I use Drivecore amps all over the house, mostly CT875 and the Lexicon twin, and will be using several CT4150's to power all the surround speakers in the Media room, as they sound good, are really efficient, have no fans, and put out almost no heat. The amplifiers will be in a ventilated equipment room, but I would still like to avoid something with really loud fans. This will be used for surround only - no music, so I'm looking for lots of slam. Thanks for your ideas!
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Have not tried CDI but use DCI4/1250 for My subs, excellent amps!! DCI8/300N on LCR and CT8150 on surround/ceeling, all very good in My oppion.

Well, in usual fashion I have thrown common sense out the window and am looking at a one or a pair of Crown I-Tech5000HD's. Now I will probably have to redo the electrical service to provide for them...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Now I will probably have to redo the electrical service to provide for them...
    And a soundproof door for the equipment room!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    I have a backup plan. If they’re too bad, I can move them to the network rack in the basement, where I have a spare 240v/30A circuit, though I’ll have to figure out how to remotely power them up. I like their green claim that the amps only draw 100w in standby - yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    I-Tech arrived today - you're right. When the fan runs, it is loud - sounds like a media server. I will have to do some testing with it to see how often the fan runs in real usage. It ran through maybe 4 speeds while booting up, and they were all surprisingly loud. Bummer, but not the end of the world.

The fans settle down but they always run. What’s funny is that they will do the wide open throttle thing for a second at random, seemingly just for fun.

The high idle current thing is linked to the intended use of an I-TECH amp, to be run at nearly full power all of its life. Most of the other non touring and or install duty Crowns are designed to be power efficient and run cool at approximately 1/8 power. One is a full blown race car, the others a commuter.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information