Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

I didn't order premium RCA cables for the new Bellari preamp and AT LP-5 turntable, as well as Legend speaker cable, for their purported better sound. Rather for their much better quality manufacturing, and improved shielding for RCA cables. Important to me because of number of gear in a limited space and RCAs are not balanced. I already have a pair of Monster Cables Interlink 400 MK II, better made, metal connectors, proper shielding. Legend RCA/Monster 400 are about the same, but sent me Monster 100, three steps down. Pics of Monster 400 MK II # 523 & 524

Name:  IMG_0523.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  65.6 KBName:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  67.2 KB

Recently, the only successful audio Web purchases I had were from Amazon.ca for items sold and shipped by Amazon: Audio-Technica ATP-N2 original stylus for my ATP-3 DJ cartridge shown prior here, since no genuine ATP-N3 stylus available. Model 2 stylus fits on model 3 cartridge being from same series, but its not as good/refined performer as model 3. Not much choice to keep it going... Amazon also had the AT 91 cartridge, purchased it, lower cost and heavier tracking, good enough for my AT LP120 turntable's less precise tonearm (issue mentioned here before), that turntable moving to upstairs living room, goodbye. Pics 545 & 547.

Name:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  51.7 KBName:  IMG_0547.jpg
Views: 2271
Size:  50.6 KB

Btw first rogue retailer has the ATP-N2 stylus on his web site as "available" (not "in stock" this time!), but I know and have an e-mail from Canadian AT distributor its not available and they have none left in stock, I checked that before buying mine from Amazon. So looks like another bait & switch thing? Paid mine $98.CAD+ tx from Amazon, then stylus disappeared from the "sold and shipped by Amazon", possibly bought the or one of the last ones. Pic # 539

More to come regarding the cables solution.

Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 2497
Size:  100.3 KB

The lack of Legend RCA cables (and maybe the Ultralink cables too?) meant I had to look for/find again something acceptable in Canada. Been busy searching for good alternative RCA cables, and most of the time they're not in stock, lower quality or crazy pricing for good ones, but did see a few prospects.

The BRTB Theatron THA series, hand made in Canada, is a rare one having all I want: gold plated quality metal connectors, twisted pair wires, double shielding, etc. They even make this one in 18" lenght (I would want some) and longer. Very nice cables. But they don't sell to consumers and I've seen no dealer having them for 1M length or less. Moreover, they appear to manufacture on order only, so longer delays one more time. Also have a $100. minimum order. Keeping this one in the back of my head for now. Pic # 531

Name:  IMG_0531.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  88.0 KB

Digiflex Canada, maker of Pro Audio cables, makes a few RCAs, one with Neutrik gold contact plugs, lifetime warranty, etc. The issue I have with this Touring series premium RCA cable is the 71% shield coverage (as seen in their wiring catalogue). I want better than 71% shielding, more like 100%, with many pieces of equipment very close to each other, including new turntable and phono preamp, to minimize risk of unwanted noise.

Digiflex has a "second best" type (i.e. not Touring series), which seems better for my needs as I went to check this at a local retailer, opening the screw type Neutrik Rean metal RCA connectors to see the inside story. Looks good, twisted pair, gold plated, etc., except for the single shield but it seems like a nice one. Now being pretty fed up trying and searching, with low success, at least I have an OK find here I would probably get a good deal on. That Digiflex cable looks pretty much the same as Link Audio's Platinum Series RCA cable model LP 203 RR. Pics # 556 Digiflex & 554 Link Audio.

Name:  IMG_0556.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  78.1 KBName:  IMG_0554.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  100.5 KB

Got a quote from my usual Pro audio supplier for that last Digiflex. GO, had enough of all this nonsense, search over with no manufacturing delays, no more internet bullshit and no bait & switch hassles. Done deal, 8 pairs ordered got a great price! This will make 10 pairs, with the Monster 400 MK II on-hand plus the Ultralink cables if and when they show up at the door. They'll hook-up the RCA stuff: turntable/phono preamp, two CD players, MD Digital Recorder, Dolby S cassette recorder, Sonic exciter if not used with XLRs

Initially thought purchasing ready-made RCA cables would be simple, fast and save me lots of time and effort, since I have many other cables waiting that I assemble myself with XLR and 1/4" connectors...

Looked in my "collection" of cheap RCA cables to see if I could find something a little more acceptable for the time being. Found a couple of surprises. One of those has 18" long with cable info printed on the jacket, can't recall seeing this on another in that class, they usually don't bother with this info at that level, nor in China. Could be a little better one? Another such cable 24" has "Japan" indicated on it, a rare occurrence these days for such things. Could also be a bit better? I may try temporarily the Japan made cable from turntable to Bellari phono preamp and the 18" cable from Bellari to mixer. The latter two units are very close to each other. Also have a turntable ground wire, from my old Technics sent to recycling, I could use this between new turntable and phono preamp grounding screws. Pics # 529, 526, 528 & 550.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0529.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  96.1 KBName:  IMG_0526.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  67.1 KBName:  IMG_0528.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  61.4 KBName:  IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  75.9 KB

Ultralink stuff finally arrived!

Fed Ex delivery guy woke me up this morning, now it was for a good cause, not the usual soliciting...

Though the retailer wasn't truthful with its "in stock" mentions, at least this time it didn't end up being another bait & switch thing. Great!

The banana plugs are nice and can take up to 10 AWG wire, the Maestro ones shown before up to 7 AWG wire.

As for the RCA cables, well its even better than I thought, since I didn't know it used Quad wiring made of double twisted pair. More Quad wiring general info in the other post here. Pics # 560, 561 & 562

Name:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  68.6 KBName:  IMG_0561.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  69.5 KBName:  IMG_0562.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  80.1 KB

Japan's Canare Cables has been involved with Quad wiring for a long time. For those who want to know a bit more about this Quad thing I'm also posting here two pages from an older Canare catalogue I have. I'm not associated with them in any way, but I do own a Canare microphone cable, not Star Quad, the L-2T2S being a slimmer version also Made in Japan. I've had this cable since the eighties or nineties, still in perfect shape, certainly my preferred one vs others I have mostly from Digiflex. Canare cable isn't cheap compared to some others (about $1 CAD per foot or meter depending on model, no connectors) but it certainly is quality built and durable. Digiflex does offer some Canare cables with connectors but these are a premium option $. The L-2T2S may well outlast me... Pics # 564, 566 & 568

Richard

Name:  IMG_0564.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  148.0 KBName:  IMG_0566.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  128.3 KBName:  IMG_0568.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  86.2 KB

Tascam small power amps

This post isn't regarding new gear recently purchased, but more about some other older amps I've owned for a while.

Bought a first Tascam PA 20 MK II one rack space amp in 1995 to try it and got another one in 1996. These were released in 1993 based on owner manual date. They've proven to be quite reliable during those 23 + years. Cleaning the gain control on one unit after a number of years, is the only maintenance ever needed, and they're still going.

These amps were essentially designed to power small near field monitor speakers, typically on console top or in other project studio setups. For my part I use them to power either near field speakers, or for tops in bi-amp setups.

Surprisingly, these little amps sound good. Surprising because though well known for its recording/playback gear, Tascam isn't a household name power amps company. Over the years, they've had very few amps in their catalogues at any given time as I remember. Also had models PA 30, PA 150. None in my 2018 CDN price list though, except for a headphone amp.

I assume their long heritage and expertise of recording studio equipment made them understand a thing or two about how their amps should sound. Not as good sounding as the Rolls MOSFET amps, but still pretty good sound coming out of these.

Rated 25 watts per channel, will take 4-8 ohm speakers stereo mode, 50 W bridged mode 8 ohms. It has XLR input connectors and RCAs, the latter more for project studios I guess. The amp also has a 2-3 seconds turn-on delay followed by a click sound, and instant off. The owner's manual is informative and well made.

The speaker output connectors seen on the picture look like those cheap fragile spring type thing, but they're not. In fact its a locking type, thick plastic and relatively sturdy connector. Put the wires in, lift the red/black tabs and the wires are locked in place at the sound of a click. Simple, clever for an install amp.

The 8 ohm indication on top of the speaker terminal is incomplete, same for the amp's Tech Sheet and Product Overview on the Web. The owner's manual clearly indicates, no less than six times in different sections of the manual (so not a typo), the minimum acceptable speaker impedance is 4 ohms (stereo mode). I've driven many times a pair of small 3.6 ohm speakers with the Tascam and never had an issue yet.

Using the front panel Phones jack mutes the signal to the speakers for private monitoring with headphones. The unusual aspect about this stereo amp is the presence of a single gain control for both channels. Doesn't really bother me since in stereo mode I would put both channel gains at the same level had there been two of them. Plus in bridged mode only one gain control would be used anyway... So its not a big thing for me.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0497.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  71.7 KB

BTW In the past Tascam use to make some relatively large audio gear, not much anymore as things have changed with digital recording on hard disk for example.

First pic is a nice 16 track studio tape recorder they made, now obsolete. The rounded pic appearance is from the original Tascam ad, not from me.

Second and third pics being the large M-3500/M-3700 Series mixers they use to make, 32 channels, plus one stereo channel and 8 subgroups. Nice piece of equipment, plus having sleek design with its base on wheels. Gone are those good old days...

Lately, Tascam didn't have a larger mixer for some time... but recently launched a 24 channel mixer model 24, so maybe other larger gear may come back? I wouldn't bet on this though.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0573.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  64.2 KBName:  IMG_0577.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  136.9 KBName:  IMG_0575.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  142.7 KB

LATEST NEWS

The Ultralink and Monster 400 MKII cables got the contract to provide a clean signal from turntable to phono preamp and from the latter to the mixer. As for the cables for other devices feeding the mixer (CDs, MD and Dolby S recorders, etc.), I'll pick-up the new Digiflex wiring ordered at the same time as I get my good old Furman Sound crossover from the repair shop, both at the same location. Repair estimate for four new pots is reasonable, fourth pot in that outputs group was not due YET but its basically the same work or so replacing 3 or 4 of them, so going with all 4 I'm buying peace of mind for a while, estimate worth extending crossover life.

I have a few vocal mics, three of them from E-V. Two of the E-Vs initially released 1984 (PL80) and 1988 (PL68), but purchased early 90s. The first is a super cardio, the other a cardio type polar response. Their built-in pop filter called Acoustifoam (trademarked by E-V) has disintegrated due to foam rot over time. I cleaned all this carefully inside the mesh grille (ball) and started looking for original foam replacements.

The dealer e-mailed E-V parts dept. and unfortunately there are no parts available anymore for these two older mics. Also tried for other E-V mic model pop filter that may fit inside? None, as told. Sure didn't want to throw away the mics for this since they both work well, except more prone to popping sound in absence of suitable very thin foam inside mic. The custom made foam follows the shape/contours of the "ball".

Using add-on external foam windscreens I have, then the ball gets pretty large to fit properly in protective pouch with foam squeezed/deformed. Made myself a more "permanent" solution to pop filter replacement, than having to put a foam windscreen on and off each time.

A piece of slightly stretched speaker grill cloth over the mic's ball works. Its held in place with a wide rubberband at the base of the ball, doesn't fall off. It disguises the mics' normal appearance, however proper acoustics are more important here than looks. That idea does the trick acoustically re popping or noise. Plus, its fully and easily reversible pending a better solution to come by.

I did try to fit a piece of speaker grill cloth inside the mic's ball, it didn't go well, not a nice job. The solution found has no mic fitting issues in the protective pouch, no material squeezing/deforming.

Previously told a member here, who gladly takes my free & working used equipment, that if he wants the E-V PL68, and he does, he can have it if/when I find a suitable replacement. Well, that happened this week, I got a good deal on a new E-V PL80C (ordered), this being a more modern Neo version reissue of the old PL80. Similar look, not cardio polar pattern though, but I have some. Keeping for the time being the original PL80 for sound comparison with the upcoming C version.

Richard

Name:  IMG_0590.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  62.8 KBName:  IMG_0588.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  101.1 KB

Canare cables in post# 69

Been searching today for an audio file on my computer, naturally haven't found it when you need it, but I did come across the Canare22A_Cable Catalogue_Q & A [1].pdf file I didn't remember I had when I did post # 69 with some Canare Cables pics.

This pdf is a much clearer version than my paper catalogue pics of Canare's Star Quad cabling info, including much more info given for other models as well. File size is almost 15 Mb (20 pages doc) therefore won't upload to LH Forums. On the other hand, my "PDF Complete" software isn't that "complete", being the basic version which doesn't allow to edit documents, like keeping the most relevant stuff and nevermind the rest to fit LH posting requirements.

Since that info is quite interesting and of "public audiophile interest", I would gladly send that file by e-mail to another member who could work his way around LH file size limit to either post it or link to it, or even edit the document to reduce its size to 8 pages based on the list below. Many of the other pages are about video cabling which could also interest some others here or not.

Among the document's 20 pages, the most relevant ones for audio are possibly (using pdf numbers): P. 1-2 with Q & A; P. 3-4 re Star Quad story and cables; P. 6 where the L-2B2AT two-conductor rack installation cable is covered, as well as the L-2T2S smaller than Star Quad mic cable I have shown in post # 69; P. 7 for other rack wiring options; P. 11 four-conductor speaker cables; P. 12 two-conductor speaker cables for fixed installation, with a Technical Note on speaker cable selection. I'm not associated with Canare Cables btw.

If interested in making this info available to all, send me a private message with an e-mail address where I can forward the pdf file for you to post on this thread. Thanks.

Richard

I did try to compress the Canare Cable file. File size (.pdf) before compression: 14.892 Mb, file size (.Zip) after compression: 14.665 Mb. Pretty low gain, still much too large to fit LH Forum. Windows file compression looks like a joke here...

Richard

Picked-up yesterday the toys I was expecting: the repaired Furman Sound crossover, Digiflex cables and E-V PL80C microphone.

The Furman, with 4 new output pots, is a 12 db/oct., 80-4khz continuously variable/no detents, stereo 2-way mono 3-way, 1/4" TRS balanced inputs but 1/4" TS unbalanced outputs, so a semi-balanced unit, still never had noise issues with it since 1992. The black round plugs on the rear panel were for the more expensive XLR fully balanced version. Both good old Made in USA. Furman now being a quite different company, from a signal processing one in the past to a power conditioning one today...

Richard

Name:  IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  61.0 KBName:  IMG_0627.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  57.3 KB

Thread Information