Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Sorry guys, but the Flared port isn't the Nirvana anymore, the Contoured port now sits on the throne as King!

There's been some activity in modern times with regards to speaker enclosure vents or ports. Engineers have been giving more attention to bass reflex ports. JBL patended the Slipstream flared port, Bose patented one too, and as i recall a Pevey Engineer did so for another one. Manufacturers increasing their thinking and time for this device.

The flared idea (ends similar to a conical horn shape) remains in the Contoured port but its maximized, as well as on other aspects, the latter is seemingly larger size. Advanced aerodynamics are part of the solution here i guess.

However, the flared port's career doesn't appear to be over yet, far from it, due to an inevitable reason. The Contoured seems to be application specific, said otherwise cabinet specific, custom made for premium high performance or high power systems. Haven't seen off the shelf contoured ports for sale, they're probably low volume dedicated production items. Maybe available from a speaker manufacturer as repair parts to replace a broken one on a system for example??

The HLA series port looks like a variation of this where Engineers were able to get almost 3 db more output with it.

Don't throw away your older ABS or cardboard tubes. The good news is that the straight flanged port isn't so bad after all, still delivering quite acceptable performance for most use, providing the vent area is large enough to avoid air turbulence (Eargle: "A simple cylindrical port, as shown at (1) in figure 4-15A, works very well when the port is large enough in diameter so that air particle velocity is small", P. 82).

I'm not a pro drafter or artist but in order to give members here an idea of what a Contoured port looks like i made a hand sketch with a pen (probably 95% accurate) based on what Eargle reports and shows in his Loudspeaker Handbook.

Note on pic the contoured is larger, the tube in the middle is curved, not straight like a regular flared one, and the rear "horn" end seems a little smaller than the front one, which would make sense based on Harman Engineers paper on maximizing vent performance.

Please don't repost my sketch on other forum(s) or site(s).

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

DOUBLE WOOFER BOX VENTS

It has been mentioned many times in speaker litterature that a vent or port can be located almost anywhere on a cabinet, its not critical, as long as you don't put it too close to a speaker box panel, where undue interactions may happen. Generally such rule is pretty easy to abide by and to remember.

Nonetheless in some cases, though Engineers aren't too picky with port location, some of them appear to have kind of a preference when it comes to double woofer Sound Reinforcement cabs, as seen in the case of a few manufacturers. And i think they aren't dumb.

I know not all double woofer cabs comply with what follows, but designers also have a number of issues to deal with, such as box dimensions and baffle configuration.

Locating these port(s) somehow in between the woofers seems like the preferred way for conventional dual driver LF SR boxes. Among the few manufacturers, none of them explained that choice they made. However, i think i found the reason why its more or less in between woofers, naturally within the limits imposed by the enclosure.

In one of his many experiments Dickason (see note 1) has found that larger 4" and 6" vents perform better in close proximity to the woofers. I assume Engineers follow those findings (when possible).

The first pic, of a group to come, illustrates the above, its from British Fane Acoustics speaker building manual. On pic at the top the phrase starts with "Ports should be..."

Richard

Note 1: Vance Dickason, The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, 5th ed, P. 55

E-V is another well-known loudspeaker manufacturer that uses somehow in between woofers port location. Among the five E-V double woofer box plans on-hand for their DL Series woofers, 4 out of 5 use the in between woofers port configuration, a 5th one partially only due to box design (7 other plans are for single woofer boxes). The pics are from EV's Tech note Pro Sound Facts No. 7, and there's no copyright indication in sight.

On pics the cutout diameter gives away driver size from 12 to 18", and most having vents close to drivers and somehow in between them. In a couple of cases cab size constraints are obvious.

Fig. 10 cab is the black sheep here in terms of vent and center brace locations (compare with Fig. 12). In Fig 10 the center brace is not centered with the woofers but rather with the box middle, which makes sense based on the conventional bracing rule of dividing a panel haflway or in the middle of it. That layout allows limited options, but its a different box option by itself vs other models.

Fig. 8 style shown is special regarding port sizes (pair of 6" and a pair of 4"! The former in between drivers and the latter at box top and bottom, sort of "squeezed in"). I can't remember seeing another having two different port sizes on the same LF speaker baffle. I'm still debating this idea in the back of my mind with no definitive answer.

Each vent is part of the total vent area, that seems to be the thinking. Therefore equivalent to a single larger vent, simply divided in four (usually identical ones though). The obvious question coming to mind: at high drive level which of the 4" or 6" ports used will choke first, or none of them will? My initial guess is the 4" dia. might suffer from port compression, while the other side of the coin treats these multiple ports as a single larger one...

EV Engineers aren't dumb, remember that Engineers Doug Button and D.B. Keele, for example, came to JBL from EV, with Keele going back to EV later for a second term. Moreover, EV's Chief of Loudspeakers and systems Engineering, Ray Newman (RIP), was a quite smart Engineer, honored for his contribution by a bunch of his former colleagues in the pages of the JAES after he passed away.

Its interesting to see different LF cab configurations as this gives potential DIY ideas on baffle space use for example.

Richard

With regards to JBL SR box ports its a little more difficult to identify a definite trend on port location since they use various vent shapes (round, rectangular, triangular, etc) which impacts port location for efficient use of space. The intended cab configuration has to go in hand with box requirements, such as size.

One thing is sure though, for the flagship Touring HLA Series bass cab (4897) the large vent is not only close to the drivers, but also between these, which appears to confirm the other guys (E-V, Fane Acoustics) were not wrong in their port placement on SR double woofer cab...

Pics are from the HLA Series Owner Manual. BTW the 4897 does have a Contoured port.

Richard