Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

$14 for 32ft of shielded twisted pair?!?!? Damn, I'm gonna be rich as soon as I dig into the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Needed some more solder so went to local electronics store, then saw they had a small roll of installation cable i like left (32 ft), therefore picked it up too, though not in need of this now, but the way things are going that cable might become B/O ("supply chain issues" being the trend) or gets discontinued like so many things these days.

Two conductors (twisted pair) wrapped in foil shield plus drain wire in contact with the shield drains the unwanted to ground. I don't really like the cable my dealer uses/sells for installations, it looks more like a smaller size microphone cable with a braided shield.

Richard

Attachment 90832

Hi Riley,

Yup might dig in the trailer. However, i'm already loaded with cables and connectors so i don't look for any now.

Note the retail price of audio stuff in Canada is typically 40% higher, sometimes more, than in the US, not counting sales taxes amounting to double digits. We often have an extra middleman to feed, the importer/distributor in Canada.

Purchasing from the US ain't a bargain either with about 30% currency exchange rate, then 2.5% credit card fee on USD purchases, shipping cost, and the likelihood of having to pay canadian duty or taxes on a new US purchase over $40...

And you don't want to know the price of gas in Canada, around 45% of the price is taxes... (except oil rich Alberta)

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

As part of turntable stuff i posted last night i forgot to post the pic i had of the scale i mostly use to assess cartridge tracking force. I have three different ones, B&O and Shure, but my preferred these days is a small digital one from Taylor Precision Products measuring to one-tenth of a gram.

My results with it closely match what i get from balancing the tonearm manually then apply tracking force.

The other two scales are also good but entail more handling /trial/error and therefore risks of an accident during times where Shure original stylus is no longer available...

The digital scale is more straightforward to use. Moreover i factor in a small error margin with tracking force. If a stylus is rated max 1.5 gr for example then i'll set my things for say 1.35 gr. On pic it shows 1.41 gr on the scale but the reading actually varied between 1.37 to 1.41 gr so a hair's worth to remove. Its pretty sensitive.

For a .75 -1.5 gr rated stylus as above i'm comfortable with 1.25 - 1.4 max therefore near the top of range in order to minimize stylus mistracking. The .75 gr minimum is too low and stylus will likely mistrack.

The cartridge shown on scale has since changed headshell for a nicer one, and i retired my old Me95ED.

Richard

Name:  IMG_3181.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  90.6 KBName:  IMG_3281.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  74.1 KB

In view of discussions elsewhere on this matter seems people may find this JBL document helpfull regarding CD/ Bi-Radial horns tilt filter.

Please don't repost this on other web sites. Thank you.

Richard

Name:  JBL BI-RADIAL TILT FILTER IMG_3294.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  81.8 KB

Finally had a chance to test the Digiflex stereo DI box with the portable digital recorder (Mini Disc) as source.

Ref. Riley's post # 468 on page 32 here.

RE the DI will give you about a -40 dbm mic level XLR output side of the DI.

Tried it and its true, but not a problem with the Mackie mixer gain available. I realized after testing the DI/MD that the playback output level on the recorder was low at 9 on a range from 0 to 25. With a somewhat higher level (say 12+) it might have required a little less gain from the mixer Trim pots, though probably not a lot less since this is consumer gear output level feeding Pro level stuff. I could have plugged the recorder directly in the Aphex interface with a "Y" cable 1/8 stereo out to a pair of RCAs on the interface (having two Aphex devices, one always assigned to turntable signal, the other as need be), but the intent here was to test the stereo DI box.

RE Also those unshielded transformers don't want to be near any sort of power transformer.

The potential noise i guess Riley had in mind didn't happen. Could not hear any such issue even with my ear to the speakers. Trying to make things bad, lol, i put the DI directly on top of the Aphex interface (turned on, 120V, its transformer doesn't seem to be shielded, at least not fully) and still no system noise. Since the DI balances the line, also matching consumer device to Pro standard wiring and connections, plus the rest of the signal path is balanced too, it might explain the absence of hum/buzz. Haven't experienced that potential problem yet.

The "before" pic shows part of the setup pending slow/spare time renos. The CD player is out of the picture on the left (Tascam balanced), the two boxes seen are phono related. The Monster Cables to preamp/Aphex have since been replaced by the short Canare RCAs i made. Plus was using the main outs 1/4" TRS on the mixer's top panel right side, which don't require that i pull the mixer from the back wall. Now using the XLR main outs (at the back of unit) so i need to pull it to have nicely curved cables, not crushed ones.

More to come.

Richard

P.S. The pink surface i put equipment on is a large toy box in the basement from when daughter was a kid. I need more space in my temporary setup, have another rack begging to go there, hence me trying to get rid of the damn box ASAP. There's no children here, and we're both retired. Boss already vetoed that i swing the box out, likewise to deliver it to daughter's house or move it elsewhere... Well, then i put some audio gear on top of the toy box, and keep trying to erase it!

Name:  IMG_3188.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  94.5 KB

The DI box test test setup, on top of the Aphex 120V power transformer. Either the interface's metal case shielding is very good or the DI balancing the line does the trick in killing hum/buzz, it works!

Bottom center, on top of the red box, is the Mini Disc jacket on which i write artist name, titles and times, its faster. Entering all the info on the Disc has low value to me, more of a waste of time. The recorder bottom right will look way better on a coming pic.

1/8" stereo cable from the recorder's output to the DI's same type input. Then XLR cables out of the DI (3 ft. from my older Canare cables stock) these going upwards and then dive in the XLR mic inputs top left. I know these aren't the usual line inputs but the mixer's mic channels will take it no sweat. Later another pic will show the more conventional use of the 1/4" line inputs for the MD/DI.

Richard

Name:  IMG_3236.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  95.2 KB

In 1999 the JVC portable cost me $400. ca + tx, not cheap but 23 years later it still works fine! At the time Mini Discs sold for $7.ea. I have another MD recorder unit in the rack that one being a full-size Sony.

Sony developped a number of high potential technologies, e.g. PCM, Walkman was a hit, whereas the MD had a mitigated commercial outcome. Not because of sound quality but instead due to a more elaborate device, higher pricing, the need to purchase discs, etc. People vote with their wallet too, MP3 was simpler, cheaper, no Discs and users could even download/share "counterfeit" audio files, while the MD equipment has the SCMS protection system (only one digital copy of a CD or DAT can be made using optical fiber cable, but analog recorded ones are not restricted. It was the compromise to avoid Sony a ton of lawsuits from the music industry.

Sony eventually reduced pricing and quality with China stuff in order to give it a second push but it was too late.

The sound quality from an MD is near CD quality and certainly better than MP3. An almost perfect copy.

About the 38 hour long play mode. The recorder comes with a lithium battery. An additional battery pack supplied (3 X AA) can be attached to the back of the unit. To get so many hours of use one needs a full lithium plus the battery pack installed with fresh alkaline batteries. A third option is to do without batteries, and use the AC adaptor included (wall wart). Recording seems more power hungry because it reduces battery mode autonomy to about half the time.

There's many more controls on the side and back of the recorder (Jog dial, set, etc.), a number of possibilities are offered with this format (e.g. editing, erase, move, join) although i don't need all of them. Owner manual has 16 pages, somewhat long for such a small device, there's a lot to describe, since it does everything except coffee...

The input level bar meter shown on the recorder is at about - 10 db from overload level which gives enough headroom for my applications. Could possibly reduce headroom say to -7 db level however Digital is said to overload less gracefully than analog. In the old days of tape recording one would try to record at as high level as logical in order to minimize tape noise (hiss). Since there's no background noise on MD the higher recording level is less of a concern here, though if quite low then you need to apply more gain during playback. More will follow.

Richard

Name:  IMG_3233.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  73.3 KB